85 Gallon scratch build too divorce.....Passed the point of no return so suck it up!

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as I saw that stand fabricated I could see exactly where this is heading.

Have you tried the old argument of “bigger tanks have more stable chemistry”?

Very nice build thread, I’ll be following this one even if it’s just for the laughs. I like that you used a PLC before, that’s my day job and when I build the next tank over this upcoming year I will be doing that again. A little Siemens with SCADA.

ReefMan692

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt cheap on light maybe you can tell your wife your afraid your diy light will catch the house on fire -- hey it worked for the overflow!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as I saw that stand fabricated I could see exactly where this is heading.

Have you tried the old argument of “bigger tanks have more stable chemistry”?

Very nice build thread, I’ll be following this one even if it’s just for the laughs. I like that you used a PLC before, that’s my day job and when I build the next tank over this upcoming year I will be doing that again. A little Siemens with SCADA.
I’m in controls at a J&J plant. I have thought long and hard about using one of our “trash” Allen Bradley units to run my new tank. We will see... I can’t quite talk myself into complicating the tank process any further.

Kai K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing job on the low profile stealth purchase mode! I recognize a lot in your write-up and had a few laughs going through it! Thanks, it makes my day knowing I'm not the only one with a brutaly misunderstood passion for my reeftank... the kids are starting to love it though, but they're no teenagers yet.
Can't wait to see your tank evolve into something the rest of your fam will enjoy too, and uhm... go easy on the brew mate!

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in controls at a J&J plant. I have thought long and hard about using one of our “trash” Allen Bradley units to run my new tank. We will see... I can’t quite talk myself into complicating the tank process any further.
I would do it, we both know that something like apex/GHL are really only hobby grade in comparison. If you want reliability then go with a PLC. Plus you can add on HMI/SCADA.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it, we both know that something like apex/GHL are really only hobby grade in comparison. If you want reliability then go with a PLC. Plus you can add on HMI/SCADA
I probably will end up doing it. Especially when I have all the used AB’s and Emerson’s I can get my hands on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Townes- Funny thing, I did not think about PLC again... not sure why.
I am in sales now, engineering less and less. I even had a AB -PLC stashed for my next tank build, but threw it out years ago as I was told... not going to happen!

So - Robo and reef pi it is... in all I am pleased, this does so much more than my skill level with PLC programming.

For readability we know what wins, we have an erecting box machine built in 1998, the drives (huge) screens are blank, the PLC password is long gone and the screen is blank but it still works, year after year. Minimal use now for the poor old thing but it will not die. All AB.

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - Option two for holding the wooden skin on... magnets all good unless there is some bow or your magnet are weak (tick) that is spell check thing on this site... i mean weak p iss and your DIY skills are crap.

Purchased 12 magnets - 12mm x 5mm - pull 5kg. Hell - pull 5kg, ok still hold the front on well but... those doors.
With the weight of 4 x doors no way are those magnets going to work.

Enter option 2... Stainless wood inserts, 15mm deep, 6mm thread - perfect.

IMG_3462.JPG

IMG_3463.JPG

Made up some L brackets to weld to the frame.
Set the depth of my drill- tested and this should work very well.
Looking back this would have been my Go To - but the magnets on the top do a good job, add these on the legs.
Only 4 and good to go.

IMG_3497.JPG

Very good reason i will not powder coat the frame until the dry fit is finished.
Lots of little thing may need to be added....
Like a pull out table next to that dam good looking, sexy, stainless steel draw of greatness.

Wife would not let me weld/ tack these on inside... WHY?
It was raining outside and I would have to move everything in to the rain... No understanding.

Last edited:

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - Option two for holding the wooden skin on... magnets all good unless there is some bow or your magnet are weak (tick) that is spell check thing on this site... i mean weak p iss and your DIY skills are crap.

Purchased 12 magnets - 12mm x 5mm - pull 5kg. Hell - pull 5kg, ok still hold the front on well but... those doors.
With the weight of 4 x doors no way are those magnets going to work.

Enter option 2... Stainless wood inserts, 15mm deep, 6mm thread - perfect.

IMG_3462.JPG

IMG_3463.JPG

Made up some L brackets to weld to the frame.
Set the depth of my drill- tested and this should work very well.
Looking back this would have been my Go To - but the magnets on the top do a good job, add these on the legs.
Only 4 and good to go.

IMG_3497.JPG

Very good reason i will not powder coat the frame until the dry fit is finished.
Lots of little thing may need to be added....
Like a pull out table next to that dam good looking, sexy, stainless steel draw of greatness.

Wife would not let me weld/ tack these on inside... WHY?
It was raining outside and I would have to move everything in to the rain... No understanding.
You build like you are in a manufacturing environment, or have been lol. Magnetic door closures I did on my last reef, they were great until I had a little warp in the door. Then they sucked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then there is the Friday night purchase.
Its beeeen a long week, your first thought is once I pick up the kids i am free. Wife is on dinner, that is after she has cleaned the kitchen and the windows. Not sure what shes been doing since she got home from work but dinners seems to be taking a long time, Not that I mind. The kids can keep getting me beers from the shed, two at a time so they do not have to go back so often. Dinner arrives, its cold, send it back and wait. What happened to my nice Friday night.

Mean while back in the Bat cave, I have just finished feeding the boys, dreamed about how things should go and head to the shed to grab beer... Now it is my time.

What do you do.. drink beer, check your emails and catch up om reef2reef... Then start thinking about the gear I need to buy. Return pump... DCP3500 it should do the job.

Rule 3 Never buy stuff on the internet when drinking.
The down side is you have to explain... somethings you just cant hide.
Guess how many I was meant to buy... dam buy now did not seemed to work.! lol
Rule 4 Stop pressing the button.

IMG_3498.JPG

They turned up over two days and filled the mail box... which I had not checked...
Spare anyone?

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You build like you are in a manufacturing environment, or have been lol. Magnetic door closures I did on my last reef, they were great until I had a little warp in the door. Then they sucked.
Hi Townes - yes built machines years ago before the laser cutting thing, we did it all by hand. Now its just bolt the machines together. Where is the fun these days when you snap a M12 tap in a blind hole in stainless steel and have to get it out.

Once the frame goes to the powder coaters thats it...
Oh and thanks for stopping in, appreciated.

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefpizza - yep where good to go in NZ, but be prepared nothing is cheap, love to have you here.
We are always welcoming good people.

Reefman, I know what you mean but I have some serious cash in those DIY lights.
They should be fine, 4 x 48w plus 2 x 36w T5. The read up on the LED's was good and reef-pi will ramp them up and down and control the 4 channels. Fingers crossed. If not well honest attempt dear.. look the anemone is dying if we do not get some good lights... that will work. After all we are past the point of no return.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I am a technical writer but, this was my view for quite a few years. Still with the same company, still hate when I break a tap, still hate when they surprise us with an American standard bolt when everything else is metric.

great thread. Imma **** up now and watch you buy 50 return pumps.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Townes - Holly Molly - that is some setup.
Looks like ..... I have no idea, what is it?
We are I medical devices. Sort of a clean room environment. At least inside of our enclosures. We have about 50 of those setups. Each is app. 45 meters long and 20 wide. Each one with Pilz, AB, and Emerson plc’s. Some even still run APT. 3 sumitomo injection molders per line, Mitsubishi and scara robots everywhere. Lots going on.

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased cheap return pumps.... the plan is / was to run twin returns. So I actually only hit the buy now button twice. LOL I did not think it had gone through. So now I have a couple of spares.

But for the circulation pumps, there was only one choice.
IMG_3502.JPG

(Yep that is grannies old blanket... ugly as sin, I want to burn it but, I'm not allowed.)
Its in my office, spare bed... still ugly as sin, and it should be torched.
"Don't ask how many times I sleep in it"..... it should be obvious... its only used when I snoring. So if I am snoring then I am sleeping... so its not me in that bed!!!

Tunze 6095 x 2 - each rated at Max 9,500 L/hr - DC

Plus a 6040 for behind the rocks.... I hope its got enough grunt!
Tunze 6040 x 1 rated at 4,500 L/hr - DC

Is that enough turn over for a 85G tank? Going to try SPS this time.

Back to the 6040.
I like the way it can mount on to the back glass and blow across the back of the tank...keep the crud from settling.

tunze-nanostream-6020-6040-2.jpg

So there are 3 Tunze pumps - I have purchased a second hand a 7095 controller.
Hope it works, has the MOON light as well. Might have to finish the night off with a spliff to appreciate this..LOL

IMG_3503.JPG

Had Tunze AC pumps on my last tank... super reliable, loved them.
Hope that AC/DC thing does not screw me...! Yes a good band...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Townes - Impressive...There would be nothing like that in NZ... not even close.
We are 5m people... spread out, NZ is the size of the UK... except Auckland with 1.5m. But AKL is close to the size of Los Angles (1300km) 4m... in area size. AKL - 1000km.

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had planned to use the reef-pi / Robo tank to do ATO.... but you know you know....
Readability is key here, not doubting the reef pi BUT.. to me it is unproven.
So... with a little tune... hummm hummm, drum roll...
I have the ......

IMG_3504.JPG

It was about now after the Tunze purchases that the wife, noticed my little spends were no longer little spends and the credit card was confiscated and I had to confess. HEEE - problem was I was past the point of NO return.

Divorce me over a fish tank - really? Actually that was never said but i was in the bad books for a while.
I had the tank but mentioned it would be a cheap setup, second hand stuff, nothing to concern yourself about!

Now the cat was out of the bag running around hard... What else was asked?

Now is that a question anyone can answer when it comes to a reef tank, the wife is no fool, unfortunately.

The perks of ME doing the finances or was...... our credit card is at WHAT!
Do you need to ask how that ended?

We now have a budget.... Oh how the once great fall !

"show me the stuff...." So I open the cupboard in my office / spare room and there was all my treasures... accumulated under stealth mode... for the world to see.

Busted!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back