85 Gallon scratch build too divorce.....Passed the point of no return so suck it up!

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefpizza -(4) 6095's OMG.
So I am two short....LOL
Not sure how that will go down.
6pm - NZ time - means beer aclock... "need more tunze pumps" - not going to happen... unless I do the shopping for a month or 2....

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the question was asked - WHAT's NEXT?
Table saw so I can make the doors.

That was 1 x months budget spent - Dewalt table saw.

$1018 at Bunnings.. but they say if some other shop sells it cheaper we will beat it by 15%.
Found a shop sell the same saw on special for $968... took that to Bunnings and the sold me the same saw for $829.. from memory.
That was a good buy.

Having never built door before... here we go.

Test piece... and I still have fingers but its early in the door build.
IMG_3505.JPG

First door attempt... and a fail.
IMG_3507.JPG

Looks Ok but NOOO the other side.. lets not talk about that.
So I am on to build door - attempt two.

Ok not all my fingers are there...and i do not want to lose any more... miss that finger LOL
So drinking beer and table saw... you have to be careful, you might spill your beer!

IMG_3508.JPG

reefpizza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefpizza -(4) 6095's OMG.
So I am two short....LOL
Not sure how that will go down.
6pm - NZ time - means beer aclock... "need more tunze pumps" - not going to happen... unless I do the shopping for a month or 2....
Announces Last Call GIF

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best part about buying stuff.....
1) - Research and picking whats right for your setup...
2) - Buying it... once not twice in 2min. LOL
3) - Waiting for the prize to arrive... when will it get here, I start hunting the mail box.. need to get to it first.
4) - waiting
5) - waiting
6) - waiting... OMG I am still waiting what the heck.

IMG_3510.JPG

Yep still waiting - purchased when a man was entitled to own a credit card... 24th Feb... still has not arrived.
Shipping delays my butt, this pump must have been to the moon and back. The 7095 holder is the same.
Maybe they forgot where NZ is... after all it is at the bottom of the world.

A poor broken soul can only stand at the mailbox for so long, I look longingly every time I drive past, but the pump gods deny me the true pleasure of opening a parcel. After all that's why we buy stuff... to open that parcel.
Put the parcel on the bench, open a beer and slowly remove the packaging to see what we have purchased.

Ebay says they are still in transit, I could be dead before they arrive.

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt water - if you look at a world map you will notice NZ is surrounded by water.
For me its 20min to collect. My last tank used NSW, as will the new one.

One of the advantages of using natural sea water in your tank is " that you will also be getting the microscopic life in the ocean back into your tank". I could not have said it better if I could have spelt all those words. Oh did i mention its cheaper? And cheap is good.! My last tank was NSW and it rocked.

IMG_3076.JPG

I have two of these 1000l tanks
1 - under the house to fill with NSW - to pump in to auto water change tank in my sump.
2 - Another to collect the NSW on my trailer.

2hr round trip for 1000l, which will last about 6 months.
10% water change weekly.

I always got asked what am I doing pumping salt water in to a tank, time and time again.
My fall back comment was... I am working on turning salt water in fuel for my car. That f#cked them.

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short.. at least I will try.
I was reefing 15 years ago, 240G tank in the same spot my new ice cream container sized 65G will go.
A poor beaten man starting again in the shadows of greatness.

Last tank was run by a PLC with ATO, AWC using NSW. I used sensors hooked up to the home alarm zone 4 & 5 to monitor the tank sump level low and sump level high (pump off) and temp. The alarm company would ring me to say when those zones went off, it happened a couple of times when power went off, and saved my bacon. One outage was for 3 days.... After all we paid them to monitor all the zones on the house so there was no extra cost. No tank control systems in those days! I like to think I was ahead of the game...

The killer was the sump, stupidly (excitedly originally) mounted under the house where the wind blows hard in winter, Auckland NZ get to 0 to -2C in winter and no amount of insulation could stop $800 power bills as the army of heaters ran hard. Add new kids, 9.0% interest rates and my hobby was domed. I lasted 5 yrs but when i needed to upgrade equipment kids **** won. So tank went and a couple of book cases were installed.

To be honest it was a relief for the tank to go, no more worry, a weight was lifted. People under estimate the responsibly a reef tank creates.
But I look back fondly like when the misses looked good after 2 beers... not 12..Lol. My Fav fish was a massive ****** trigger, he was the man. Tank was LPS with a huge anemone being centre stage. No idea what it was, funny thing it just grew and never split. Test water nope... only salt level and MH's... like 4 x 250's. The wife loved the fish, hated that power bill!

Fast forward 2021... Can I have a new tank, NO.
So we start small and carry on and on and on until they give in.
What the F#ck it a tiny little tank, not like the last one....might get those ***** teenagers to lift their heeds from their phones.

So I win, like I do... enough time for pictures!

Stage one... wooden stand, and i m no wood worker, hated building this thing. Wood is expensive here even though it grows like a weed, all exported so we have to pay export prices!
20210214_143109.jpg

Big wall, small tank... How we are a shadow of our once great self.
You can see the holes in the wall from the last overflow heading down to the sump chiller.
Following for this one
Long story short.. at least I will try.
I was reefing 15 years ago, 240G tank in the same spot my new ice cream container sized 65G will go.
A poor beaten man starting again in the shadows of greatness.

Last tank was run by a PLC with ATO, AWC using NSW. I used sensors hooked up to the home alarm zone 4 & 5 to monitor the tank sump level low and sump level high (pump off) and temp. The alarm company would ring me to say when those zones went off, it happened a couple of times when power went off, and saved my bacon. One outage was for 3 days.... After all we paid them to monitor all the zones on the house so there was no extra cost. No tank control systems in those days! I like to think I was ahead of the game...

The killer was the sump, stupidly (excitedly originally) mounted under the house where the wind blows hard in winter, Auckland NZ get to 0 to -2C in winter and no amount of insulation could stop $800 power bills as the army of heaters ran hard. Add new kids, 9.0% interest rates and my hobby was domed. I lasted 5 yrs but when i needed to upgrade equipment kids **** won. So tank went and a couple of book cases were installed.

To be honest it was a relief for the tank to go, no more worry, a weight was lifted. People under estimate the responsibly a reef tank creates.
But I look back fondly like when the misses looked good after 2 beers... not 12..Lol. My Fav fish was a massive ****** trigger, he was the man. Tank was LPS with a huge anemone being centre stage. No idea what it was, funny thing it just grew and never split. Test water nope... only salt level and MH's... like 4 x 250's. The wife loved the fish, hated that power bill!

Fast forward 2021... Can I have a new tank, NO.
So we start small and carry on and on and on until they give in.
What the F#ck it a tiny little tank, not like the last one....might get those ***** teenagers to lift their heeds from their phones.

So I win, like I do... enough time for pictures!

Stage one... wooden stand, and i m no wood worker, hated building this thing. Wood is expensive here even though it grows like a weed, all exported so we have to pay export prices!
20210214_143109.jpg

Big wall, small tank... How we are a shadow of our once great self.
You can see the holes in the wall from the last overflow heading down to the sump chiller.
Following! This will be tough though I have my own build to consume most of my time. Oh well I can sleep when I’m dead.;Dead

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - just listened to some Neil on the radio... even wrote done some lyrics for my Friday night post. Got my dinner sat down in front of the PC to start and Neil was gone, Brother in Arms is playing... What Neil words. Gone, the tune is gone.

"so many different words, so many different sounds" Hell only just made it remembering that, mind was with the song... way ahead. But I guess it should be after a few beer and a bit of a J.

While all the above was taking place, I finished cutting the wood for the two small doors AGAIN.
So off I go under the house where my new table saw lives. Its looking at me all mean and scary. And that is the way I treat it... sh#t already down one digit. Did I mention, I liked that finger! it was useful. wink wink

I had already cut the grooves, the tongue was this evening job.

IMG_3550.JPG

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3551.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3552.JPG
    IMG_3552.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more of that door.
OK was there pain, yep cut the middle panel to short - length wise. Calculated the size, drew a picture and wrote down the wrong size. OMG.. wrote down the size - minus the tongues. No Tongues.... that's bor...!

IMG_3546.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

The back end for those that appreciate it.

IMG_3543.JPG

Now that is a door, check out the slots. mint. even looks central, actually 2mm out but hey... hey, my my.
Need to RE cut the middle door again after the pain. Always pain. Add 14mm x 2...

Having never used a table saw or ever made anything tech in wood.
"The king is gone but not forgotten"

Dribble so you may want to skip ahead.

Did I mention the hot water cylinder died. FKM $2,500 bucks, that's a p!ss off.
Good bye reef spending for a while.
Pulled a sicky to be here and help, old cylinder (21 years old) is on a wooden platform built in to the hot water wall cupboard.

A holes... will be be there at 9am, rang now 12pm... 4pm they turned up, nope... 4:15pm... took until 8pm
New cylinder is taller, so the frame had to come out, hit it with a FBH and it did not move. What would a man do?
Bigger FBH. Know as Sledg... my mate Sledghammer. But no its inside, in the hallway, care must be taken.
So I got the........Chainsaw.. holly **** it sent wood chips all over the place, the funny part was, wife was not home yet, smoke alarm is going with the fumes... LOL and I got that thing removed. Some time latter wify got home and went down to our room at the end of the wall way and the whole room was filled with 2 stroke smoke, just hangng in the air. Busted .

The poor young guy fitting the cylinder could not exit fast enough, I think he was sure if he was to close he would die. Obviously by now being a Friday and all, I might have opened a beer or more. I'm just standing around making sure they dont fukup. After all when they finally finish Yawn... I have to wire it up lol... Not paying for a electrician when I can do it. I have to say from 4:30pm - 8pm on a Friday those more beers where dam great.

Like my wood work skill which the wif thinks so poorly of, she hate my electrical skills.
Everything is finished...hot water cylinder is in. Just the wiring to do if the misses wants a shower in the morning, which of cause she will.. its hard work having a perfect husband!

So off i go to wire it up, I hear... "are you sure you can do this after more beers"... actually the wife does not swear that much, but she did this time. And then said FA after that, she wanted that hot shower, just a nice hot shower.

My problem was I hit the wire connection box with the chain saw, plastic flew everywhere, I guess it is meant for trees... It took some creative wiring to get that cylinder heating... and more helped. Used motor cycle earth cables which i found in my shed, the only thing thick enough to handle the load... not that i had any idea what load, but it must be OK, its still like that now!

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sddefault.jpg

Guess which one.....
Do I really have to say.....
It looks like an inter-cooler off the space shuttle.

https://myaquaticsolutions.com/5-lifegard-pro-max-high-output-amalgam-55w-120vac-uv-sterilizer/

After some research, BRS... convinced me that UV is a good tool.
A good tool for parasites or algae depending on what flow rate you use, recommended to run off the return pump.
Perfect, I will dedicate one return just for the UV, with a flow meter on my reef-pi. Will use two, one for each pump.

Why the Lifegard 55W.. everything is available to service them, build quality is like top notch, performance if great and it just looks sexy... compared to that skinny tube?

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tabs are welded in... the front will not fall off with the weight of the door or any bowing, I would not have purchased the magnets .... but it is good that they hold the front in place when I add the screws.

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3520.JPG

IMG_3522.JPG

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on the Big doors since 3pm today.. You have to love this new sh#t that we all work from home thanks to 19 and get more done LOL. What that means for me is jobs...not the paid type....

So its 3pm... Friday... What does one do? (and I had to wait until 3pm)
Beside checking 8 voice messages... oldest 3 weeks ago. Did I mention I hate people that leave voice messages... number 1 hate. Before you think... I rang them back asap and tell the fu#kers DONT leave a message, but they do... what the heck... Open beer!

1# So lets start building the big doors, I learned quite a bit on the small f#kers.... first lesson was this wood burns well, because your going to F up and have to buy more!

2# Building doors is not as easy as them fellas on YouTube make it look, I did not see a beer on any of those sites.

3# After the two lessons above, a little extra wood, and bingo... doors.

IMG_3679.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been super helpful this week, all ways going to the supermarket, getting the stuff to feed the family... a good husband, thats me.... Wife gave me a tick.. a caring man. $120 bucks siphoned (cash) in to the reef fund without a word. So when I buy something for $200 ... it becomes $80.. LOL
Shopping for food is not as cheap as it was@! The good thing there is no paper trail...

The big doors

IMG_3678.JPG

IMG_3674 (1).JPG

One of two.... will hang tomorrow, doors not me.

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life is not perfect.. we know that, catching the women in a good mood, timing.... Look at the calendar and there are a couple of days each month when you can talk to them and they don't hate you.

Well I thought I thought I had such a moment.... please dear watch this video it F'n funny.

Bad move.... lol

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I mention my plans for a control cabinet "Huston we have trouble" ..
Open the door, right hand door and there will be Huston's controls. What does one want in a Huston's control cabinet, not sure yet but that is work in progress.

But one must be able to access the crap behind the Huston control cabinet.

IMG_3682.JPG

Now that is a door one could be proud of... what did it take to make. Enough wood to keep an Eskimo warm for a week. But that is my Huston door. Inside that door are the brains.

IMG_3683.JPG

Like I said... life is not perfect. So when the sh%t hits the fan, we need to stick our head in to the matrix of wiring that will be controlling this tank. Opening the front door will not help, we need access.

IMG_3684.JPG

Did I mention Huston... the end comes off.
Its a good feeling to pull the end off..LOL and in we go...

Yes the top is crap... its for my trailer...

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I mention my plans for a control cabinet "Huston we have trouble" ..
Open the door, right hand door and there will be Huston's controls. What does one want in a Huston's control cabinet, not sure yet but that is work in progress.

But one must be able to access the crap behind the Huston control cabinet.

IMG_3682.JPG

Now that is a door one could be proud of... what did it take to make. Enough wood to keep an Eskimo warm for a week. But that is my Huston door. Inside that door are the brains.

IMG_3683.JPG

Like I said... life is not perfect. So when the sh%t hits the fan, we need to stick our head in to the matrix of wiring that will be controlling this tank. Opening the front door will not help, we need access.

IMG_3684.JPG

Did I mention Huston... the end comes off.
Its a good feeling to pull the end off..LOL and in we go...

Yes the top is crap... its for my trailer...
The Control center is key! Mine was all planned out until I saw the tank without a canopy on and scrapped the whole idea! Did I mention I had most of that cabinetry finished :rolleyes: Design and built the pendant now trying to figure out where to put the electrical bits so that they don’t get sprayed with salt water:mad:

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oldschool - yep - floating canopy going on here..
I have worked out how to lift and lower it with a remote.... not ready to share that yet... but think chandelier ... that should give it away!

Mean while back in the bat cave it was time to mount the big doors... obviously beer was needed to get the measurement right. The secret is nothing is perfectly square so minimise the damage and get those door looking as mint as i can. Its about the gab... was when I married my wife.. Oh back to the doors, 2mm gap. Between the doors, like I said nothing is perfect..

IMG_3679.JPG

IMG_3689.JPG

Oh that tank looks sooo small.

IMG_3691 (1).JPG

And this is with the magnets only... so there you go, magnets rock.

love this shot..

IMG_3695.JPG

What are these for?

IMG_3692.JPG

IMG_3693.JPG

maybe... a pull out shelf.. After all I need some where to put my box of beers!

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always a time when you think... b#gger I should not have done that.
That draw... love the draw, its positioned there for the right reasons.... its deeper than the stand hence the position and the frame supports... I have to live with it... only saying.. Only saying because I need the head room... Who would put a draw there!.

OK.. I have to live with it.. only saying cause new stuff has arrived, my sump design is done, I have searched for hundreds of beers.. until I found my way! And Wow....

I am following 65Naja sump design... check out his build thread, if you do, you might never be here again.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/1...ign-build-project-thread.824068/#post-9018025

I would sell a teenager (have a couple) for this mans skills, after all they have cost more than my tank and are bad on our environment.

Any way - 65Naja - sump setup is just what I am going for...so after many beers... I would like to introduce my latest purchase.. (skimmed $$ for weeks at every shop, used after pay, payments over 3 months and lie) Wife asked if my $150 purchase was this filter... I changed the subject... ($800) LOL

I know posting p#rn is not PC.. but this is p#rn in a box.

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3839.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back