8500 feet Elevation and O2 saturation in Water

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live at 8,500-9,000 feet in elevation, and starting my first reef tank. I am interested in learning the nitty gritty of the oxygen-to-water chemistry that happens at these elevations, along with higher salinity. I found a website that tells me the maximum O2 level that is possible with elevation, salinity, and temp. Right now my refugium, which is cycling, I have my salinity at 1.026 gravity because I was wanting to set up a mixed reef tank, the tank temp sits mostly around 76-77F. When I look it up, that gives me a Max O2 level of 4.8282 - 4.7814 ppm possible. Now I'm not too afraid of getting the max level, as I do live in a drafty house that is on 43 acres in the deep forest and surrounded by national forest. So I'm sure plenty of oxygen can find its way into the tank to get it at least close to the max so long as I have good enough surface agitation. Though, when I look it up, it says O2 levels of 5-6 ppm are "sufficient" for most aquarium occupants.

So my first question is, would .2-.3 ppm of O2 make a huge difference in what fish or corals survive? I would have to drop my salinity to 1.021 specific gravity to get a max barely above 5 ppm but that is only at 76F, and I would like a little higher salinity than that. IDK why, but I have it determined in my head to keep my salinity to 1.025-1.026 because of the higher alkalinity and elements for a mixed reef, but I am realizing I might want to consider oxygen levels.

My second question is, does it really matter that much, as long as there is a constant exchange between water and air? I mean if the fish uses say .1 ppm per minute, and the air exchange is able to keep up and replace it at the same rate, would the fish really notice? What does the air pressure difference of elevation do to the exchange of oxygen on the surface? IDK how salinity or the air pressure of high elevations, might affect that.

I plan on kind of tracking this as I go with various tanks and seeing if I can get a concrete answer for this, but just wondering if anyone had any ideas. I won't get my Digital DO meter for another month to really know what my O2 levels are right now, but my guess is by the bubbles that have formed around the macro it is close to the max the water can hold at its current temp of 77F.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few folks with high elevation reef tanks. Some near 10,000 ft.

It certainly is a theoretical question, but I've not heard that it makes keeping a tank appreciably harder.

Searching brings up plenty of random discussion of the issue, but no clear data shown by actual reefers at altitude.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live at 9000 ft and have a number of tanks (freshwater and saltwater fish). No real experience with corals, but I have no issues with low oxygen just judging from the fishes breathing rate.

OP
OP
pepper89

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few folks with high elevation reef tanks. Some near 10,000 ft.

It certainly is a theoretical question, but I've not heard that it makes keeping a tank appreciably harder.

Searching brings up plenty of random discussion of the issue, but no clear data shown by actual reefers at altitude.
Yes, but I guess if you could help direct me to some good scientific sources to look further into the information. Of one, what rates of O2 levels variations in water, what levels would someone start seeing fish gasp, and at what rate does a typical fish metabolic function consume? Those are just the questions I'm kind of trying to answer some of the science of O2 in water and see what effects elevations might have.

It was sparked cause I found an interesting article about pools of water they find in caves, and how the mineral composition and elevation seemed to have an interesting correlation with the oxygen levels and organisms that lived in them. So just wondering if there was some more information on that.

That also then sparked at what rate fish use oxygen in the water, and how fast is it able to even replenish itself. Just because I'm curious about the science of it.

OP
OP
pepper89

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live at 9000 ft and have a number of tanks (freshwater and saltwater fish). No real experience with corals, but I have no issues with low oxygen just judging from the fishes breathing rate.
Thanks! I have had a number of freshwater tanks, but never up here. Always in college in KS, so it just wasn't ever thought, and mostly just curious about some of the various aspects of it now. Read an article, and it circulated into me doing a lot of weird research about oxygen and water, and a lot of random questions. Things like, if pumps went out, in theory, would I have less long because of higher salinity or temp? Would keeping a lower salinity or elevation or temp give you more time (in theory) in case of issues? At what O2 level do fish typically start showing signs of struggling for oxygen like gasping at the surface? Cause I might consider lowering my salinity if it did in theory gives me a little extra time to fix a power outage (old house, breakers flip a lot). Though, if .2 ppm is not enough to even in theory make much of a difference, then who cares.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back