8x39w Ati vs. AF 4x39w

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Dear R2R’s!

** = Aquatic Life

I have a reefer 250 with two Kessil A360we’s running @100% intensity and 30% color. I supplement this with 2x blue+ and 2x actinic t5’s in two odyssea fixtures. While this setup seem to work OKayish, I have two issues:

1, I think it’s not pushing enough PAR for the Acros to bring that final touch of color out of them (tried 4x blue+ and 60% color on the Kessil, but that gave me algae)
2, It’s a PITA to work on the tank, as I always have to remove the t5 fixtures

C522649F-92D6-41B3-9EAB-E0E5C627856F.jpeg

I have two options to consider:

1, Aquatic Life hybrid hung from the ceiling - this would tidy up the whole situation above the tank & would make my life easier, however it won’t solve the PAR issue (if anything it will be worse, as it would be mounted higher than the current setup)

2, A guy is selling a 8x39w ati sunpower dimmable fixture on a local forum for 3/4 of the price of the AF fixture. I was thinking that I could mount my Kessils on those, run something like 3c+,3b+,2actinic + supplement it with the Kessils (what a waste) with 0% color and 10-20% intensity to get back some shimmer & pop. This wouldn’t look as neat as the AF setup probably, but would pump out at least 2.5 times more PAR.

I’m really leaning towards the second option, mainly because the Ati fixture being so affordable, but not sure if I’m going to zap all of my corals instantly or at least stall their growth with this amount of light, even if I acclimate them.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ati fixture will fry anything in the tank with no supplementing if you are not careful. I like ati.

OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also wondering if it was possible to run the Ati fixture at something like 60% dimmed for prolonged times..

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is the older ati like I have no. U just get 2 plugs which control groupings of lights.

U basically just raise it up at first to acclimate and slowly bring down over the months.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back