AquaCave

Heres_doe_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Here is some pics of the tanks inhabitants. I must note that my iphone photography skills are awful and these pics don't do the livestock justice.

Blue Hypnea (I recently fiddles around with the color setting on the A80 and the hypnea's color looks much better now)
IMG_4417.JPG

The recently added Blue Scroll Algae frag
blue scroll.JPG

King thorn algae
king thorn.JPG

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
IMG_4156.JPG

Regal Damsel
IMG_4600.JPG
Post latest blue hypnea pics

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Post latest blue hypnea pics
Unfortunately, the picture with of the power head that was covered in it is the most recent picture. I haven't had too much luck with it. It'll grow like crazy then gets so dense that the middle dies of from no light which kills most of it and then it'll just repeat that cycle. Recently I only have tiny bits that aren't growing much (which kind of makes me think it may actually be blue ochtodes because I think I've heard that it's seasonal but I'm not sure). I suspect my lighting is a little too under-powered right now to keep it successfully. I only have two kessil a80s and a cheap LED strip light from petco.

OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Also, I think I've discovered a way to slightly alter the morphology of the string of pearls (SoP going to start referring to it as this because its a pain to type that out every time lol). Both of the those huge pieces started off as ~4-5 inch pieces that broke off from the original piece that I had bought and were placed in two different sides of my tank. They are at just about the same elevation so they get the same amount of light. The only difference is the flow rate. The one in the first picture was placed in an area of lower and slightly turbulent flow, enough that it just barely swayed back and forth. This one developed longer, more oval-shaped pearls. Meanwhile, the one in the second picture had stronger, more laminar flow on it. This one developed smaller, rounder pearls. Interesting! Maybe I could play around with this when I start the grow out tank.

Fritz
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Haven't updated this in a while but I'm going to try and be more consistent now that school is just about over for the fall. In the meantime, here's a little photo dump from the past few months. Enjoy! :)

Seale's Cardinalfish
IMG_6078.PNG

My favorite little guy
IMG_6067.jpg IMG_6073.jpg

Trochus Snail
IMG_6064.jpg

Cerith Snail laying eggs
IMG_4776.jpg

A macro that @WheatToast and I believe to be Batophora
IMG_4941.jpg

Iridescent Dictyota (this piece is not very iridescent because it deeper in the tank, farther from the lights)
IMG_4624 (1).jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

When I bought this it was named red titanophora but I believe it is actually a species of Cryptonemia. I do not believe it is Cryptonemia crenulata as the morphology is slightly different as it had smooth-edged "leaves: rather than the serrated ones you typically see on Cryptonemia crenulata.
IMG_0652.jpg

My pride and joy. The most recent pictures of my two string of pearls macro that are about the size of my head lol. I'm currently selling some because I have so much! Check out my classified ad page for more info:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/string-of-pearls-macro.874643/
IMG_3399 (1).jpg IMG_3397 (1).jpg

OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
So I'm in the process of planning my 30 gallon grow out tank. Hopefully after Christmas I'll have everything I need to finally start it. Today I decided to look up DIY frag racks because I want to do this in the most efficient way to grow different macros that have different lighting and flow requirements. I came across a post from @ReefRondo where he showed his really nice looking frag rack made from egg crate and pvc pipe. I really liked the way it look so I'm using his as inspiration. You can find his rack here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/frag-rack-egg-crate-ideas.750368/post-7858369

I want to build on his design and make it a multi leveled set up. I normally don't do DIY stuff so please excuse my very crude illustration of my plans lol. The drawing is just of the pvc frame. It'll consist of five 5" x 8" platforms. The two on the far left and right will be about 4 inches tall, the second is 8 inches (with a support pipe) and the middle platform will be a foot tall. The purpose of different platforms is to be able to have places that are near and far from the light. I also wanted platforms on both sides so that I can focus powerheads to one side for macros that enjoy more turbulent water. Hopefully this will allow me to really experiment with the macros to find the best spot for each species in regards to light intensity and water flow. I will likely also add egg crate to the vertical sides for more places to attach macros.

So for anyone reading this, tell me what you think! Have any suggestions to make this design better or tips for making DIY frag racks? Thanks!

IMG_6478.jpg

Lazy's Coral House
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
I was feeling under the weather for the first half of this week so I wasn't planning on getting this done for another week. But, I was so excited and felt back to 100% yesterday that I went to Lowe's, got all the supplies and built my DIY frag rack! I'm very happy with it and really proud of myself because I don't normally do DIY stuff like this. I think I may still put some egg crate on the vertical sides to have more place to attach algae.

IMG_6518.jpg IMG_6520.jpg IMG_6527.jpg IMG_6528.jpg

OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Unfortunately I caught COVID on Christmas :( . But, at least that gave me plenty of time to start my grow out tank!
I got an Aqueon 40 gallon tank that has a Seachem Tidal 110 for filtration, an old 24 inch Aqueon LED strip light with white and blue lights and a Kessil H80 for lighting, a Hygger powerhead for water flow, and my DIY frag rack. The strip light actually came from my 90g display because I upgraded and got a 48 inch Hygger light for it.

I ghost fed just to be sure, but the tank is already cycled. About a month ago I jam packed my Tidal filters on my 90 gal with extra media knowing I was going to start this new tank. So, when the 40 gal tank was ready, I used a big bag of media and a couple sponges that have been established for a year from the 90 gal to basically insta-cycle the new tank. So like I said, I ghost fed and tested for a few days and sure enough no Ammonia or Nitrites detected and Nitrates were at about 1.0 ppm.

Since everything looked good, this past weekend I dosed some extra Nitrates, Phosphates, and other elements, and added some frags of different macros that I have! I have more macros that I could put in but I'm going to wait a little bit to make sure what's in there right now is doing ok.

I might also add one of my Seale's Cardinals to the grow out because the larger one has been kind of aggressive lately to the slightly smaller one. They've been together since the beginning and haven't any problems till about a week ago. It also doesn't bother my Longspine Cardinals at all so I'm not sure what changed. The Seale's have grown quite big since I've had them so maybe it's just flexing it's muscles and asserting dominance but I'll keep an eye on them. If the aggression dies down soon I will start looking for something else to put in the grow out tank to have a constant natural source of nutrients for the macros. I was thinking a small puffer like a Valentini but some places list them as omnivores and I don't know if they can be nippy. And since I'll constantly have my hands in there that might be an issue. Any suggestions are very much welcomed!

Now here's some pics! Enjoy! :D

IMG_7693.JPG IMG_7691.JPG IMG_7757.JPG IMG_7769.JPG IMG_7822.JPG IMG_8299.JPG

Here's the tank with macros frags. Hopefully within a couple months I'll have a few other species to sell along with my String of Pearls algae!

IMG_8396.JPG IMG_8394.JPG IMG_8395.JPG IMG_8392.JPG IMG_8401.JPG IMG_8399.JPG IMG_8398.JPG IMG_8400.JPG IMG_8402.JPG

AquaCave

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 84 24.8%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 176 51.9%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 24 7.1%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 27 8.0%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 24 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.2%
AF