Due to acquisition of two Marineland 125-gallon tanks, my build plan has changed significantly.
Current plan is to have a 125-reef with a 125-sump with the main chamber for a macroalgae display.
Screenshot of 3D-model of current plan (2021-10-04 16:06):
1633381998455.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QT Update 2021-11-23:
1637708990704.png

Stand painted 2021-11-13 (now in my dining room 2021-11-20):
1637101517926.png

Living room FOWLR is being transferred to the basement:
1637101589123.png

Now for 90-Display/75-sump FOWLR for my basement fish room:
Last Update as of 2021-03-17 10:38
Floor drilled for plumbing down to basement "fish room" (2021-03-16 20:30):
20210317_075944_E.jpg

Current FOWLR and in-progress setup photo from this morning (2021-03-10):
1615389109043.png

Backdrop outdoor posters received for mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon reef (2021-03-08):
1615302006600.png

Current Fish Stocking List as of 2021-03-11 17:42
Current planned fish list:
90-gallon reef:
1X Fiji Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi)
2X Darwin Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
2X Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto)
2X Sharknose Gobies (Elcatinus evelynae)
1X Rainsford's Goby (Amblygobius rainfordi)
1X Orangespotted Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata)
1X Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
3X Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma) or Seal's Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus sealei)
2X Scissortail Dartfish (Ptereleotris evides)
1X Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoerus melanurus)
1X Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)

75-gallon mangrove lagoon:
1X Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [already in FOWLR]
1X Rectangle Triggerfish (Rhinecanthus rectangulus) [already in FOWLR]
1X Snowflake Eel (Echidna nebulosa) [already in FOWLR]
1X One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1X Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)

~40-gallon Sump Refugium Section:
2X Janss' Pipefish (Doryrhamphus janssi)
2X Spotted Mandarinfish (Synchiropus picturatus)

Planned layout (shorter stand will be standard rather than custom-built):
90-Reef_02-01.png

1607367517683.png

75-gallon mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon display are both drilled for Modular Marine 1200gph overflows (awaiting setup and installation). (2021-01-21)
20210119_202617.jpg

Stand Frame finished and awaiting skin, trim, and countertop (2021-01-04):
90G_Stand_02.jpg
UPDATES as of 2020-12-07 13:00
Modular Marine 1200GPH overflows shipping soon, fish list being revised and researched, materials for stand are in my shop waiting for fabrication, most equipment is sourced and on-hand for progress over holiday break

ORIGINAL POST
After being introduced to keeping a marine aquarium with the acquisition of a 75-gallon FOWLR from a co-worker as detailed in my post in the Meet & Greet forum, I am just starting the planning phase of building a 90-gallon peaceful reef tank.
Since I am new, I am planning to start with more hardy fishes, corals, and invertebrates. Research is one thing I enjoy doing, so I will be careful and patient in the planning phase to reduce likelihood of wasted expense and failures when I am starting out.

I already have the tank (48 inches long, 18 inches wide, 25 inches deep) and stand with an open base design that should allow for a sump. There are no holes drilled in the aquarium for plumbing, so I will probably need overflow over the top, unless drilling through the glass is a consideration I take. A sump with a refugium is very likely to be included (30 to 55 gallons, not sure how to size the sump? ...is bigger better?).
80-lbs of dry rock, 40-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Fiji Pink, and 20-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Special Grade are on order so I can get rockscape and substrate ready to begin cycling in the next month or two. I am in no rush, but I would like to have the materials on hand when I am ready to start this tank, especially if there is any pre-setup processing I need to do.

This is my initial fish list based on preliminary research, and recommendations for additions, subtractions, or changes are appreciated.
Listed in approximate order of preference:
2 of Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 of Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [I already have this ~4-inch fish that will be transferred over from my 75-gallon]
1 of Kole Yellow Eye Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) or 1 of Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
1 of Foxface Lo (Siganus vulpinus) or 1 of Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi) or 1 of One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1-2 of Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)
2-3 of Chalk Bass (Serranus tortugarum)
2-3 of Neon Goby (Elcatinus oceanops)
2-4 of Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma)
2 of Blue/Green Black-axil Chromis (Chromis sp.) or 2 of Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema) or 2 of Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Chrysiptera cf. springeri)

Some items on this list are probably not subject to change. My favorite fish is the Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, especially paired symbiotically with Rose Bubble-Tip Anemones. These two fish along with RBTA are surely on my list.
The Purple Tang came with the 75-gallon tank I got and is one of my most favorite fish, so I would like him to be in the 90-gallon reef (at least until he may grow too large?).
Fish from the genus Siganus I find particularly striking and interesting, so one will likely be included.
The Engineer Goby is one of my favorites also for its coloration and resemblance to an eel. I am not sure if it is better to include two or only one.
The Chalk Bass is my favorite small fish and would like to include more than one.
The other fish are just considerations for different colors or interests if they can be added without overcrowding the tank or overloading the biosystem.
I really like eels, and my 75-gallon aquarium came with a ~11-inch Snowflake Eel, but it seems they are not good to add to a 90-gallon reef. Since I also have triggerfish that are not compatible with the reef, I will probably leave the 75-gallon as a FOWLR in addition to the 90-gallon reef aquarium.

Does this seem way too heavy a bio-load for a 90-gallon tank (probably with a 30-to-55-gallon sump)? Should I remove fish or can I add fish (either more quantity or more types) to the list? What sequence should I add the fish to best aid success?

I am not really sure which corals to include, so I am open to suggestions. I want hardy beginner corals at the start and will see where I head from here in the future.
My initial research has me considering the following, though much more research and recommendations are needed before adding any:
Mushroom Anemones, branching Sinularia, Porites, Leather, Acropora (maybe too difficult?), Star Polyps, Euphyllia (especially ancora)
Corals are one category where I am very open to recommendations.

Other invertebrates, such as hermit crabs, snails, shrimp, starfish, urchins, conchs will be included for clean-up, though I am also very open to suggestions in this area and will refine considerations as I make a more specific plan for the fishes and corals that are to be included.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, especially initial reactions to my considerations. I know this is broad right now, but I will get more specific in considerations and schedule as I progress in my research. I have been reading a lot about reefing and marine aquariums online and in books and will continue to do so in conjunction with recommendations on R2R for a practical education towards a successful reef.

Current Aquascape awaiting cementing (2020-12-07):
1607367614903.png

Cemented Aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150617.jpg

33-gallon Brute can ready for pre-cycling rock, sand, and aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150636.jpg

Aquascape start-cycle in progress (2021-01-28):
1612277606848.png

Kind Regards,
Soren

Last edited:

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another small update: I got my floor drilled for plumbing lines down to my basement "fish room" for draining and returning.
Behind 75-gallon mangrove lagoon stand:
1615992619418.png
1615992661587.png

In basement to drain sink:
1615992691389.png
1615992721320.png
1615992747980.png

The return line will be a 20' hose with quick disconnects that connects just below the floor above and down to the pump in my saltwater storage bin.

Also, for fun, here's a video of the current 75-gallon FOWLR focusing on my eel:
OK I dont see the eel.. Might be these old eyes though:p

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I dont see the eel.. Might be these old eyes though:p
He's right in the center of the video frame, head and a couple inches of body, perfectly blended with the over-purple-light-saturated rocks and sand. I hope my color filters come in soon! ;)
I had another video of the whole tank, but it was just over a minute long and too large a file to upload to R2R.

Also, I have made a bit more progress on my setup. The 75-gallon Mangrove Lagoon tank is in location and ready for transfer of occupants from the 75-FOWLR some time later this week. The main stand is a little bit further along and ready for stain and water-proofing (also hopefully later this week). I also got another 44-gallon Brute can for pre-mixing saltwater and tested my utility pumps for transferring between cans. The tank transfer and partial water change should give me a chance to test my Sicce pump to move water from the basement to the display.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Soren nice build thread! following along! I worked for a small agriculture fabrication shop in central Illinois, not far outside of Peoria. They manufactured a line of anhydrous tank trailers, and I built BOM's for them :)
Welcome to my build thread, @MadeForThat ! What shop did you work for, if you do not mind sharing? I live (and have lived for almost my entire life) about 30 miles north of Peoria, so I am quite familiar with the area.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's right in the center of the video frame, head and a couple inches of body, perfectly blended with the over-purple-light-saturated rocks and sand. I hope my color filters come in soon! ;)
I had another video of the whole tank, but it was just over a minute long and too large a file to upload to R2R.

Also, I have made a bit more progress on my setup. The 75-gallon Mangrove Lagoon tank is in location and ready for transfer of occupants from the 75-FOWLR some time later this week. The main stand is a little bit further along and ready for stain and water-proofing (also hopefully later this week). I also got another 44-gallon Brute can for pre-mixing saltwater and tested my utility pumps for transferring between cans. The tank transfer and partial water change should give me a chance to test my Sicce pump to move water from the basement to the display.
If you dont show pictures it didn't really happen :p:p
edit: I see him now, I thought that was part of the scape :)

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont show pictures it didn't really happen :p:p
Yep, it didn't happen until I get enough progress to want to take some pictures! ;)
The recent developments look almost the same as previous pictures, except for the relocated tank. I'll have to get a few pictures of the empty tank tonight when I get home.

...which will be a bit delayed, since I plan to go with my sister to do some fish shopping! (freshwater 30-gallon, I could not convince her to switch yet to saltwater!) There have only been a few fish in the tank for a while, and a month or so ago a short-term power-loss instigated the death of all fish but 1 Buenos Aires Tetra, so the tank is pretty empty right now and the light died recently. Even though it is not saltwater, I am still quite excited about this shopping trip and my opportunity to be involved a bit with the tank!

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked for Premier Fabrication in congerville, they have since been purchased by o'brein steel I think. Really awesome people, and it was a great place to work as an intern.
How long ago was that? I am very familiar with Premier and Congerville! We order most of our steel from O'Brien, so I was informed of their acquisition of Premier Fabrication a while ago.
One of my best friends from college worked at Premier for a while a few years ago: Brian Craig. Maybe you know him?

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked there about 3-4 years ago, for 2 summers and a winter. When did Brian start? The name sounds familiar, but I cant connect it to a face in my mind. The engineering group wasn't terribly large, so I think we may have worked there at different times.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked there about 3-4 years ago, for 2 summers and a winter. When did Brian start? The name sounds familiar, but I cant connect it to a face in my mind. The engineering group wasn't terribly large, so I think we may have worked there at different times.
I lose track of time, but I would have guessed Brian was there about 3 years ago in the engineering department. Not that it matters too much, since neither of you work there now. I do not know who works there now, since the other connection I knew from Premier (Fred Wiegand) is now a private school teacher.
If you were around the Congerville area, it would be easy to know of the Craig family, since they are an integral part of the Fire/Rescue Squad.

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew Fred! Really nice guy, I think he was working as the safety guy at the time! He probably doesn't remember me though lol. A lot of the guys up in the offices were volunteers! One time in the middle of summer the AC went out and it was at least 100 in the office, so when the emergency radios called in a small and non threatening fire, half the guys had to go make sure everything was under control lol. I guess it really is true that everyone in the Midwest knows everyone lol. Sorry for derailing your whole build thread lol, I definitely look forward to the updates!

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew Fred! Really nice guy, I think he was working as the safety guy at the time! He probably doesn't remember me though lol. A lot of the guys up in the offices were volunteers! One time in the middle of summer the AC went out and it was at least 100 in the office, so when the emergency radios called in a small and non threatening fire, half the guys had to go make sure everything was under control lol. I guess it really is true that everyone in the Midwest knows everyone lol. Sorry for derailing your whole build thread lol, I definitely look forward to the updates!
Derailing is what we are about here on R2R! ...at least, I seem to be pretty good at it. Though I do not know everyone in the Midwest, I do have a lot of connections in different towns over a wide area.

It is also especially easy to derail my thread when I don't have any real updates to post. This weekend should be a good opportunity for me to make some progress, but I also have to spend time keeping my house remodel moving towards completion!

@DiefsReef I took some pictures to show my most recent small steps in progress on my build, but forgot to bring my camera to upload them, so it still has not happened yet! :p One of the problems of not having internet at home, though that is due to my own choice and I still will keep it that way.

...also, I got my color filters for my camera, and it looks like they are a great method of color control for photographs under strange reef lighting! ...even though I got the wrong size to fit my camera lens (even after checking that they were for my camera make and model, but forgot to check lens size... oh, well, at least they were relatively cheap...).

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derailing is what we are about here on R2R! ...at least, I seem to be pretty good at it. Though I do not know everyone in the Midwest, I do have a lot of connections in different towns over a wide area.

It is also especially easy to derail my thread when I don't have any real updates to post. This weekend should be a good opportunity for me to make some progress, but I also have to spend time keeping my house remodel moving towards completion!

@DiefsReef I took some pictures to show my most recent small steps in progress on my build, but forgot to bring my camera to upload them, so it still has not happened yet! :p One of the problems of not having internet at home, though that is due to my own choice and I still will keep it that way.

...also, I got my color filters for my camera, and it looks like they are a great method of color control for photographs under strange reef lighting! ...even though I got the wrong size to fit my camera lens (even after checking that they were for my camera make and model, but forgot to check lens size... oh, well, at least they were relatively cheap...).
LOL, sounds like me. Seems every time I do something there is always something fighting me on the way. Seems easy is for someone else:p but thats what makes us strong right!:cool:

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to hear what is happening now with some new updates! It's looking good man!
Welcome to my build thread, @SaltyWaffles !
Sorry to be a bit disappointing, but there aren't any recent updates. I am at a stage where there is no harm in waiting, so this has taken lower priority than my house work and other projects in the last few weeks...
It is still on my mind often, but I am not sure how soon I will continue to make progress, since this hobby is lower priority than my house remodel and I still have a fair amount of house work left to finish.

The main update is that I am considering options of making a water tray under the entire setup that would drain into the basement in the event of a catastrophic leak/failure. After reading many negative reviews on the Aqueon 75-gallon tank (anywhere from leaks to complete catastrophic silicone failure), I would like a safe-guard to avoid wood floor damage if something happens (whether initially or some years down the road). At least on the tank I purchased, the silicone looks very well-done.

I also confirmed a few weeks ago that my closest LFS (1 hour away) is stocking more fish than the first time I visited last fall. I also confirmed they may be able to order some specific fish for me if I ask and that they claim to condition fish before sale (I would probably still consider an observational quarantine if not more if I purchase from them). At least their tanks are very reasonably well kept without any visible disease or pests on either fish or corals.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has noticed my fish tank projects get accomplished must faster than home projects haha, home still gets the priority of course.
Well, it is just me in my house right now, so it is much easier to be motivated on this build than actually finishing the remodel! My living room is in such a state of remodel right now that I find it hard to frame out the clutter when attempting to take pictures of the FOWLR at the end of the living room. I finished the trim just on that end of the living room in order to set up for this build!

SaltyWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my build thread, @SaltyWaffles !
Sorry to be a bit disappointing, but there aren't any recent updates. I am at a stage where there is no harm in waiting, so this has taken lower priority than my house work and other projects in the last few weeks...
It is still on my mind often, but I am not sure how soon I will continue to make progress, since this hobby is lower priority than my house remodel and I still have a fair amount of house work left to finish.

The main update is that I am considering options of making a water tray under the entire setup that would drain into the basement in the event of a catastrophic leak/failure. After reading many negative reviews on the Aqueon 75-gallon tank (anywhere from leaks to complete catastrophic silicone failure), I would like a safe-guard to avoid wood floor damage if something happens (whether initially or some years down the road). At least on the tank I purchased, the silicone looks very well-done.

I also confirmed a few weeks ago that my closest LFS (1 hour away) is stocking more fish than the first time I visited last fall. I also confirmed they may be able to order some specific fish for me if I ask and that they claim to condition fish before sale (I would probably still consider an observational quarantine if not more if I purchase from them). At least their tanks are very reasonably well kept without any visible disease or pests on either fish or corals.
That's totally fine, no worry about it :) keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have no significant updates on the marine setup.
I reached a good waiting point while I continue progress on the house remodel. The remodel is well underway with good progress. Over the last few weeks, I finished the upstairs rooms and made progress on wiring the living room lights and ceiling fans. Soon I will be doing trim and wood work in the living room and dining room. That leaves just the kitchen to paint, trim, and install a few over-range cupboards.
The 90-gallon stand lamination is in process, but I have made no other progress to note...

The REAL reason my progress on the marine setup is slow:
20-gallon FW tadpole pond setup:
IMGP1700_TADPOLES_E.jpg

IMGP1704_TADPOLES_E.jpg

IMGP1705_TADPOLES_E.jpg

29-gallon FW setup restart with my sister at my parents' house started a couple months ago:
IMGP1734_FW29_E.jpg

IMGP1735_FW29_E.jpg

Fish in this tank:
7 Tiger Barbs (Puntius tetrazona)
5 White Skirt Tetras (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
7 Rosy Minnows (Pimephales promelas)
6 Zebra Danios (Danio rerio)
4 Corydoras Catfish (Corydoras aenus)
1 Opaline Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)
1 old Buenos Aires Tetra (Hyphessobrycon anisitsi)
1 Spotted Plecostomus (Hypostomus punctatus)
2 Dwarf African Frogs (Hymenochirus boettgeri)
Several Ghost Shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus)

We stocked a bit heavy while the fish are small in case some did not survive the transition (almost all did), so we will be removing some fish as they grow, probably to a freshwater tank at my house... hopefully after my marine setup is much farther along! (Tadpole pond to FW fish conversion after the tadpoles metamorphose may be a bit too convenient now, though... ;) )

Well, maybe some day I will make some progress on my marine setup!

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have no significant updates on the marine setup.
I reached a good waiting point while I continue progress on the house remodel. The remodel is well underway with good progress. Over the last few weeks, I finished the upstairs rooms and made progress on wiring the living room lights and ceiling fans. Soon I will be doing trim and wood work in the living room and dining room. That leaves just the kitchen to paint, trim, and install a few over-range cupboards.
The 90-gallon stand lamination is in process, but I have made no other progress to note...

The REAL reason my progress on the marine setup is slow:
20-gallon FW tadpole pond setup:
IMGP1700_TADPOLES_E.jpg

IMGP1704_TADPOLES_E.jpg

IMGP1705_TADPOLES_E.jpg

29-gallon FW setup restart with my sister at my parents' house started a couple months ago:
IMGP1734_FW29_E.jpg

IMGP1735_FW29_E.jpg

Fish in this tank:
7 Tiger Barbs (Puntius tetrazona)
5 White Skirt Tetras (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
7 Rosy Minnows (Pimephales promelas)
6 Zebra Danios (Danio rerio)
4 Corydoras Catfish (Corydoras aenus)
1 Opaline Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)
1 old Buenos Aires Tetra (Hyphessobrycon anisitsi)
1 Spotted Plecostomus (Hypostomus punctatus)
2 Dwarf African Frogs (Hymenochirus boettgeri)
Several Ghost Shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus)

We stocked a bit heavy while the fish are small in case some did not survive the transition (almost all did), so we will be removing some fish as they grow, probably to a freshwater tank at my house... hopefully after my marine setup is much farther along! (Tadpole pond to FW fish conversion after the tadpoles metamorphose may be a bit too convenient now, though... ;) )

Well, maybe some day I will make some progress on my marine setup!
Wow you got a lot going on. Love the tadpole tank!

Back