90 gallon reef tank in planning stages

Red-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have purchased a 90 gallon drilled tank (used) that came with an Eshopps RS-100 Reef Sump, Sun-Sun JUP-01 UV Sterilizer, SCA-302 Protein Skimmer, Sun Sun JVP-201 wave maker and some lights. We will be adding an Eco+ Mag Drive 700gph pump and a Carbon/GFO Reactor. My questions are: 1. At what point do we start using the protein skimmer and Media Reactor? 2. Will the 700gph pump be too much for the tank and sump? I am planning on creating a 30" return bar along the back of the tank (similar to what some canister filters return looks like) about 2 1/2 inches below the water level with 10-15 holes drilled into it instead of a normal two nozzle return. I hope this will help slow the flow down to around 550-600 gph.

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't need the protein skimmer for the first month or two and the media reactor can wait as well because you won't have a lot to clean. There is nothing inherently wrong with having a powerful return pump and I don't think yours will be too much. The flow it creates in your tank is nothing but positive. The only consideration is if you have a refugium and protein skimmer and you are set on having a certain flow through those two chambers. Good luck and send some pictures when you get things going.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back