90 Gallon Tallish Tank Stocking & Advice

BaraCats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Soon I’m going to be purchasing a ~350L/~90gal tall-ish tank, and I’d love to get some ideas/insight into fish for it. I’ve read lots of posts on here for stocking ideas, but I wanted to get a little more personalised advice since my tank seems to be a bit shorter and a bit taller than usual, and I wonder if that will change my fish stocking. The dimensions are below (in both cm and inch):

98cm long x 50cm deep x 70cm high
38inch long x 19inch deep x 27inch high

I currently have a 120L/30 gallon reef with 1x Ocellaris Clown, 1x Bicolour Blenny and a few hermit crabs who will be moved into the new tank when it’s cycled and running. My main goal with this new tank is to have a LPS & Softie reef - at this stage I don’t have the time or money to commit to SPS and their needs. I really like my inverts, and I don’t want any predators for them.

This is a list of fish that I’m currently considering, please let me know what you think!
  • 1x Occellaris Clown as a buddy for my current girl
  • 3x Blue-Green Chromis (or a different chromis species of some kind)
  • 1x Firefish goby
  • A small bristletooth tang of some kind. Or just an algae-eating species, I’m not sold on a tang necessarily.
  • Some type of Anthia, possibly lyretail?
  • Some type of damsel if it wont be too aggressive.
  • Some type of wrasse, but I understand they can be predatory to inverts depending on species/personality.

Please note, I live in Australia so I don’t have access to some species, but please don’t let that put you off leaving a comment!

One last question as well, do you think I could get away with another Blenny? I’d love a lawnmower or a Midas Blenny, but I understand they can be territorial and I do not want to have fighting or a dead blenny on my hands. Blennies have to be one of my absolute favourites in the hobby - their silly little faces crack me up. I also think my Bicolour is a bit lazy, and I just want a bit more of a cleanup crew. If it’s relevant, I’m planning on doing a half-floating reef NSA rock setup. There will be plenty of caves and rockwork towards the mid-top tank, with a fairly open sandbed at the bottom. There will be some rockwork on the sandbed, but not very much.

Thanks so much!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, list is fine. Anthias and chromis need more frequent feeding and while damsels don't, it seems to keep them happy. Azure damsel for the top pick. Midas blenny would be my first choice. Sixline, yellow coris, melanarus, leopard and fairy wrasse are all good choices.

Maybe some banggai cardinals, dottyback, royal gramma, coral beauty dwarf angel, flame hawkfish, etc.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d also add a Genicanthus Angel and a few more wrasses to that list.
I’d recommend;
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres chrysus
Cirrhilabrus roseafascia
Cirrhilabrus naokoae (These guys LOVE taller tanks)
Paracheilinus attentuatus (These also love the tall tanks)
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Genicanthus melanospilos (The whole genus of Genicanthus love tall tanks IME)
Genicanthus semifasciatus
Genicanthus lamarcki
Chaetodontoplus melanosoma (Be warned when you go outside of Genicanthus the Angel genera can become not so reef safe)

These are just recommendations and you won’t be able to have them all at once. But definitely look into the small Halichoeres as they are less likely to eat the inverts you want.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't get a tang or Genicanthus angel for a 38x19" tank. Most dwarf angels would be okay.

OP
OP
BaraCats

BaraCats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, list is fine. Anthias and chromis need more frequent feeding and while damsels don't, it seems to keep them happy. Azure damsel for the top pick. Midas blenny would be my first choice. Sixline, yellow coris, melanarus, leopard and fairy wrasse are all good choices.

Maybe some banggai cardinals, dottyback, royal gramma, coral beauty dwarf angel, flame hawkfish, etc.
Thank you so much for the ideas! I will look into each of these fish further. Do you think having a second Blenny with my current Bicolour could be an issue?

OP
OP
BaraCats

BaraCats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d also add a Genicanthus Angel and a few more wrasses to that list.
I’d recommend;
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres chrysus
Cirrhilabrus roseafascia
Cirrhilabrus naokoae (These guys LOVE taller tanks)
Paracheilinus attentuatus (These also love the tall tanks)
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Genicanthus melanospilos (The whole genus of Genicanthus love tall tanks IME)
Genicanthus semifasciatus
Genicanthus lamarcki
Chaetodontoplus melanosoma (Be warned when you go outside of Genicanthus the Angel genera can become not so reef safe)

These are just recommendations and you won’t be able to have them all at once. But definitely look into the small Halichoeres as they are less likely to eat the inverts you want.
Thank you for the scientific names - some of those fish you added are stunning. I’ll be looking into all of them further!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the ideas! I will look into each of these fish further. Do you think having a second Blenny with my current Bicolour could be an issue?
Depends on the blenny. I have a midas and lawnmower right now and they both get along without any issues. The one free ranges and the other spends most of his time in a barnacle.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back