90g Build in Montana

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it was suggested I start a build thread for my setup. This is going to likely be a thread that doesn’t get added to often for now, but as the project progresses I will add to it. Progress will be slow, somewhat by design and somewhat by default. I am not one that typically just tosses things together and hopes for the best. I’m meticulous and methodical, and enjoy researching every piece before getting deep into a project. That being said, I have my DT (90 gallon Aqueon glass), sump tank (20g long Aqueon), and a DIY stand I built. The stand consists of 2x4’s as of now. I am in the process of deciding how I want to finish it off. It will be in the main living area of my home and I’d like it to look nice and serve its function well- hold the tank and the 1100lbs + of water, rock, sand, fish, equipment.

I am extremely open to any and all input and criticism- thats

For the sump, I have not yet decided if I’m going to have glass baffles cut and silicone them into place myself, or go the route of ordering an acrylic kit that has adjustable baffles- I am very open to pros and cons here from experienced reefers!

I am still trying to decide what to use for an overflow. I do like the Eshopps Eclipse M Overflow Box Medium - Eshopps but there are several vendors on eBay making and selling internal overflow weirs.
I’ll be drilling my tank myself (eek)!

For now, here are photos of my stand. Thanks for reading this long post and I look forward to everyone’s thoughts and getting to know you all (virtually)!
-B

D92BDD8D-53B9-420F-B999-53B63D2FD525.jpeg B93E939A-D0C8-4320-83B7-3A78905F9C85.jpeg 05521844-8AD6-403D-BAAE-2588E14942FC.jpeg 3A858DDA-68C4-41AB-8CB4-D878DB412554.jpeg

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start & fantastic taking it slow! I recommend the largest sump possible & DIY. If you can position the tank against a wall & can hide the sump in another room, even better. We found our initial needs evolved, & the best advice we received was to use our stairwell as the sump room. We started with a 75gal DIY sump, & now the sump system is three tanks (~140 gal) supporting our upgraded display (300 gal). Glad to share designs & lessons learned if that will help.

OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start & fantastic taking it slow! I recommend the largest sump possible & DIY. If you can position the tank against a wall & can hide the sump in another room, even better. We found our initial needs evolved, & the best advice we received was to use our stairwell as the sump room. We started with a 75gal DIY sump, & now the sump system is three tanks (~140 gal) supporting our upgraded display (300 gal). Glad to share designs & lessons learned if that will help.
That’s huge!! Unfortunately my sump will need to sit under the DT in my stand I built. The 20g L is biggest I can really do and have room for an ATO down the road. My wife hates “clutter” so an additional stand/cabinet for ATO isn’t going to fly. With the 20g sump I still have room for a 5+ gallon water storage container. This allows me to remove the sump without taking the cabinet apart as well. My tank is going to be in a corner near our stairway/entry on an outside wall so no plumbing through the wall/floor. I’ve thought a ton about placement and this is the best place for our display- all things considered. Even the initial fill and subsequent water changes are going to be a huge hassle. We aren’t planning to stay in this home forever so when we do eventually move- I’ll be looking for a house that can support reefing better . Lol.
BUT- I may be able to do the water storage under the stairs (we have a split level home). And a 50g storage drum would fit under stairwell provided my wife will share the storage space (it’s full of crafting gift wrapping stuff atm.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s huge!! Unfortunately my sump will need to sit under the DT in my stand I built. The 20g L is biggest I can really do and have room for an ATO down the road. My wife hates “clutter” so an additional stand/cabinet for ATO isn’t going to fly. With the 20g sump I still have room for a 5+ gallon water storage container. This allows me to remove the sump without taking the cabinet apart as well. My tank is going to be in a corner near our stairway/entry on an outside wall so no plumbing through the wall/floor. I’ve thought a ton about placement and this is the best place for our display- all things considered. Even the initial fill and subsequent water changes are going to be a huge hassle. We aren’t planning to stay in this home forever so when we do eventually move- I’ll be looking for a house that can support reefing better . Lol.
BUT- I may be able to do the water storage under the stairs (we have a split level home). And a 50g storage drum would fit under stairwell provided my wife will share the storage space (it’s full of crafting gift wrapping stuff atm.
Sounds like a plan. I would still DIY using only two chambers & 1/4" baffle. Our first reef that included a sump used a 20gal Tall with three chambers. The middle chamber included a deep sandbed & cheato but was just to small to really be effective. At the time, the skimmer we used was HOB of our 60 gal display. If that was my space again, I would put the skimmer, heater(s) & chaeto in the first chamber & keep the return clean with only your ATO drip. Enjoy the journey!

OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. I would still DIY using only two chambers & 1/4" baffle. Our first reef that included a sump used a 20gal Tall with three chambers. The middle chamber included a deep sandbed & cheato but was just to small to really be effective. At the time, the skimmer we used was HOB of our 60 gal display. If that was my space again, I would put the skimmer, heater(s) & chaeto in the first chamber & keep the return clean with only your ATO drip. Enjoy the journey!
Yeah, I’ve been stewing over where to put the tank since you mentioned the stairs thing. The wife liked the idea of using the space under the stairs for extra equipment out of sight, but it’s a bit out of the way to get to it, so sump will remain under the DT in the stand. An ATO system can go under the stairs for sure. I’m going to stick with the 20g Long sump for now. I like the idea of 3 chambers- filter socks with protein skimmer, refugium with some sort of bio media blocks, the the return chamber

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic for future reference. From top to bottom:

1. 18gal surge tank (blue in upper right)
2. 50gal rubbermaid stock tank (refugium, DIY algae scrubber & phyto cultures)
3. 20gal Brute gravity top-off
4. 75gal sump (protien skimmer & base rock)

IMG_5769.JPG

Lots & lots of lessons learned!

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!
I just set up my first tank up here in MT as well. Little 16g biocube. Haven't killed anything so far! Lol.
RSM 250 coming soon though.

90 gallons. That's sure a lot of weight on your floor. Might think about your structure below before filling it with water. I know there are spots in my house I wouldn't want to put that kind of weight!

Got some great help from a few folks here! Looking forward to watching your build progress!

OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!
I just set up my first tank up here in MT as well. Little 16g biocube. Haven't killed anything so far! Lol.
RSM 250 coming soon though.

90 gallons. That's sure a lot of weight on your floor. Might think about your structure below before filling it with water. I know there are spots in my house I wouldn't want to put that kind of weight!

Got some great help from a few folks here! Looking forward to watching your build progress!
The display is going in the basement so no structural issues . I had thought of that. It should have been fine in my original location but basement location allows for easier maintenance (ATO and water storage can be hidden under stairs in closet behind the DT. I’ll probably be able to finish my stand this weekend or get it darn close.

OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it’s a been a while since I’ve updated this. It’s not for a lack of accomplishing anything. I’ve been working on the stand in between work and entertaining my kids. It’s finally 99% finished!!
I’ve been collected equipment as well.
Coral Box DCA6000 return pump
2x IceCap 4K gyre wavemakers
Red Sea RSK 300 protein skimmer
NeoMarine reef salt

Still need to decide on/order lights, need rock, sand, misc plumbing fittings. Need to decide on acrylic or glass sump baffles and finish my sump. Also need to order heater(s).
I’m stuck between AI hydra 32 of Noopsyche K7 lights. The controller issues for the Noopsyche is a huge turnoff for me. On the other hand $800+ for lights isn’t exactly ideal either.

537441E7-C3D4-487C-8BE5-81BDA155658A.jpeg 4610DF64-F3B2-4BAD-952F-1F8E0D445D93.jpeg 36F473EB-203F-458D-8493-E59109D84778.jpeg 888455CE-CB18-4CFC-AABC-7A79DE51881B.jpeg

OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I didn’t like the 20long for use as a sump so I picked up a 40 breeder. I need to modify my stand by 1/4” to fit it all the way to one side to make use of the “extra” room for supplies, etc.
next on the list of things to acquire is lights. Then sand and rock. I figure I’m about a month away from moving everything into the house and into position to start assembling for the long haul.

9D8270B2-FFF0-4FF7-89F0-8EE8D290A583.jpeg 1BE5CCC4-9EEF-404E-B85D-FACA814223D0.jpeg

OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres an overdue update:

I’ve managed to gather most of the equipment, lights, skimmer, wave makers, heater, plumbing, overflow, etc. there is still a hand full of things I need and will hopefully have it all by the end of the month.
We’ve rearranged Furniture and working on painting the wall behind where the tank will sit. I’ve wired in a gfci and outdoor waterproof socket protector to keep drips and splashes off the plugs. I have some work to do in the stairwell closet Behind the tank for water storage and such.
F210B7DC-0FE5-49FE-82DB-6E5FC046C1F9.jpeg
71F8BF9E-210B-4B72-8667-AA1E320897C3.jpeg

OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, again it’s been quite a while since my last post. It’s been a busy summer and the tank build was put on hold for a short while. So, the all equipment is installed, and RODI water supply is run through the ceiling to a 32gal brute trash can for ATO and/or water changes. Aaaaaand, THE TANK IS FULL AND RUNNING!

2B09D09C-CC98-4F87-A077-9EC72EFC3A6E.jpeg 95FF726C-DEC6-439F-B160-920A9254716F.jpeg C754A8C7-E90F-41E3-A163-629BD91F37AE.jpeg

OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it’s time for a major update:
I filled the system on October 3 and ran everything with just saltwater for a few days to settle the cloudiness and make adjustments. I decided to go the route of Fritz Turbo 900 and cycle the tank that way. It worked great!! A pair of stubby ocellaris went in on Oct 9. It’s been a journey since and I’m completely hooked!

Attachments

• 7BECA828-20D4-4FD4-AC4E-B813920D5810.jpeg
    7BECA828-20D4-4FD4-AC4E-B813920D5810.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 40
Back