90g - Sump build with roller matt - need advice - all DIY lets get this project rolling.

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with the first picture - tank stand is 40inch - 1m high.
Plan is to put a shelf in with doors on it to hide all the control wires, controllers mounted on the doors.
Been done before and I am copying, great idea.

Tank is 36 x 24 x 24 just under the 90G mark.
(and yes it is right next to the fire - used a few month a year but on low heat most of the time, a heat shield will be used when needed.)
And it will be closer to the wall.....

And to add the stand was a rush... will be redone its not square- ordered pocket screws etc and 90deg clamps... table saw all coming
Being an engineer, I could not stand (excuses the pun) it was not square, give me steel any day, I hate wood.
IMG_2342.JPG

Plan is a simple sump, roller matt, skimmer bio plate and return pump.
Wife wants clowns and an anemone, me I am thinking SPS... negative landscape, sand, no sand. Who will win.
My last tank was a 3 x this tank... many years ago.. so much has changed. LOl

Roll-matt compartment is 10in x 7in - for reference.

1) Is there enough room left for things like calcium reactor? what else would or should i think of to put in this area?
Do I need to make the sump smaller?

I am thinking of making the stand deeper, it does not need to go against the wall... I could gain 6-8 inch
Proposed sump (cardboard version) - 560 (23in ) x 460 (18in) x 400 (16in)

Control - Robo-tank - reef Pi
Sensor for roller-matt water level to run matt roller motor
Sensor to monitor low fleece level, send email and stop the roller matt motor.

First is layout.
2) Does the sump layout look OK? Advice please?

A) Overflow water is in to the Auto roller-matt section, through removable clamp, - under the bottom of the baffle in to the skimmer area.
Deltec 600i DC skimmer.. cardboard cutout is the foot print. Heaters in this area, carbon sock and anything else needed.
Skimmer - return pump baffle - 250mm pen mark is max sump level on the Deltec site.
Quoted - Skimmer for sumps with 150mm (6in) to 250 (9in) water level

3) Is this the skimmer water height?

B) Under 2in gap baffle through Bio plates, over baffle in to return pump section, dossing is in the section.

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

4) First problem I see, is not enough room to remove the roll-matt... shelf / cupboards are in the way, i would need the full sump height to remove the auto-roller body.
Does it need to be this deep? I think not! How deep?

5) This needs to be designed around the rolls of fleece I can source.. anyone have options?

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

Just to add - building the light, Blueacro x 4 LEDS plus -2 x T5 bulbs- parts on order.
Also on order 2 x 800mm (32in) heat-sinks so no fans...- open canopy, no wires to tank... they go through the wall.
T5 -36in on either side of the LED's.
Build to follow... after the sump..

Proposed motor - found on another DIY roller-mat thread, looks good, with motor mounts.
https://www.robotshop.com/en/power-...DcxK5uhZgJA80PHbRN066PfU8tAAyuTBoCS3sQAvD_BwE

power-window-motor-with-coupling-left.jpg

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Duke

I am just embarking on my own sump design and I came across your post. I am lucky enough to be designing it in a fish room. How did your sump turn out. ? I have made one under cabinet sump so far and some of the considerations I had were length of heaters and I had to build a tray to get the skimmer higher but this allows my to store foam squares I use to seed a QT tank.

Was you roller system and off the shelf or were you building it ?

Cheers
Al
Coalgate NZ

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back