93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well played, very well played!:cool:

Now that will be something to see! Unlike this month, December looks like life finally slows down for me. If you would like some help, let me know. I should be free most weekends.

And if I can sneak a fish or two on that order..... ;)

Sure thing. I will get with you soon to go over availability and such.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my website host screwed up royally and removed my website. Not only that, they tried to tell me that I would have to pay to restore it!

Long story short, I ditched godaddy and got a new host and am back up and running now.

The bad news is I am having to completely redo the site from scratch.

I think it looks better now. But, I am not done yet.

Please let me know what you think.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my website host screwed up royally and removed my website. Not only that, they tried to tell me that I would have to pay to restore it!

Long story short, I ditched godaddy and got a new host and am back up and running now.

The bad news is I am having to completely redo the site from scratch.

I think it looks better now. But, I am not done yet.

Please let me know what you think.
Not good. It still looks like you aren't open yet. ;Troll

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, last year, do to medical bills I was unable to care of a lot of things. One of which was I was told I needed a completely new HVAC system because the heater wouldn't work.

Well, we ran of space heaters and the power bill was stupid. The AC worked pretty well this summer. But, with cold weather imminent, I called a friend that owns an HVAC company and was going to bite the bullet and figure out how to pay for a new unit. While waiting on him to find discounted time (LOL!) I started studying the issue and called him and said "I don't think the unit is bad. Old yes. Dead no." He said "What do you think is wrong with it?" I said "Honestly, I think it's a bad connection at the contactor or the contactor is dead" He told me how to troubleshoot it and lo and behold, it was a bad contactor. My buddy said "You don't need me to fix it, you got this!" (Well, Timothy had to tell me the colors of the wires)

Now, I had 3 different local companies tell me the whole unit was bad. Estimates ranged from $4300 to $6700. The reason I didn't call my buddy to begin with is he's an hour away.

Grand total for me to fix it: $12.70 and 45 minutes.

I deplore dishonest people and even more so, dishonest repair people.

But, thank God, we have heat and the house is comfy cozy now. :)

Now, an update:

We worked on the trim in the classroom and got it figured out and about 25% done. Attaching trim to a block wall is not fun. HAHA!

I also cleaned out the holding/staging area and got it ready to fix the wall with the window. That will just be a cover up and then we can paint!

Sue (my sister in law) is going to be doing a major cleaning before we start painting to keep dust down.

20191110_171027983_iOS.jpg

20191110_171030932_iOS.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure that people are dishonest in the trades or just not that good at anything except replacements. You find the same thing in auto body and mechanics now days. They are taught to change parts not repair...if you know what I mean. Glad the fix was cheap! Sail on, sail on...

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure that people are dishonest in the trades or just not that good at anything except replacements. You find the same thing in auto body and mechanics now days. They are taught to change parts not repair...if you know what I mean. Glad the fix was cheap! Sail on, sail on...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, last year, do to medical bills I was unable to care of a lot of things. One of which was I was told I needed a completely new HVAC system because the heater wouldn't work.

Well, we ran of space heaters and the power bill was stupid. The AC worked pretty well this summer. But, with cold weather imminent, I called a friend that owns an HVAC company and was going to bite the bullet and figure out how to pay for a new unit. While waiting on him to find discounted time (LOL!) I started studying the issue and called him and said "I don't think the unit is bad. Old yes. Dead no." He said "What do you think is wrong with it?" I said "Honestly, I think it's a bad connection at the contactor or the contactor is dead" He told me how to troubleshoot it and lo and behold, it was a bad contactor. My buddy said "You don't need me to fix it, you got this!" (Well, Timothy had to tell me the colors of the wires)

Now, I had 3 different local companies tell me the whole unit was bad. Estimates ranged from $4300 to $6700. The reason I didn't call my buddy to begin with is he's an hour away.

Grand total for me to fix it: $12.70 and 45 minutes.

I deplore dishonest people and even more so, dishonest repair people.

But, thank God, we have heat and the house is comfy cozy now. :)

Now, an update:

We worked on the trim in the classroom and got it figured out and about 25% done. Attaching trim to a block wall is not fun. HAHA!

I also cleaned out the holding/staging area and got it ready to fix the wall with the window. That will just be a cover up and then we can paint!

Sue (my sister in law) is going to be doing a major cleaning before we start painting to keep dust down.

20191110_171027983_iOS.jpg

20191110_171030932_iOS.jpg
Looking good. Can’t wait for it to open.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was working solo today but I got quite a bit done.

The ugly spot and the window in the holding area was first to go:

20191116_151427123_iOS.jpg

This was a pain because it was terrible crooked and had to furred out before attaching drywall.

Next up was building the rack for the four 55 gallon holding tanks:

20191116_174729873_iOS.jpg

Snug fit. Anchored to the wall and leveled. need a shim under the front middle leg and to double up the long 2x4s to prevent sagging.

And last was the start to the air system for the holding tanks:

20191116_182822522_iOS.jpg

That wall is concrete over brick so I had to use tapcons to anchor the shelf for the air pump. What I didn't take a photo of was the backer board I used cut nails to anchor to the wall just under the pump shelf. This will be to mount the 1"PVC air manifold to with 3D printed pipe straps.

I also got 20 plated brass valves in that are threaded on one side. I will drill and tap the PVC and thread in the valves to create the manifold.

Should work out well.

More to come tomorrow!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We borrowed a drop in sprayer from my buddy yesterday. WOW! I wish I had known how nice these are a long time ago.

I didn't take pics because it'll need a second coat but suffice it to say the holding area will be done and ready to start setting up tanks this coming weekend! YES! You read that right @tdlawdo @Katrina71 @Brew12 (and so many more). We will have water in the store within two weeks!

I am so stinking stoked.

We will put up plastic sheets over the door openings so we can continue sanding and painting in the rest of the store and keep heat in the holding room.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We borrowed a drop in sprayer from my buddy yesterday. WOW! I wish I had known how nice these are a long time ago.
I used to have one and got rid of it. Seemed great at first, but the finish isn't as good as a roller. Too much splatter and droplets, not to mention over spray. Perfect for a more dimly lit area or a retail space, not so great for a brightly lit kitchen or family room.

YES! You read that right @tdlawdo @Katrina71 @Brew12 (and so many more). We will have water in the store within two weeks!
You are going to open the store next week without water? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back