93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a rant here:

Brick and Mortar pet stores have a very low maintained margin. One of the largest expenses if you don't have labor, is shipping. How can XYZ pet supply think we can survive if they double the minimum order to $1000 AND cancel free route delivery? That makes shipping a minimum of $350 for a palletizing fee and delivery.

Quick math:

If before minimum was $500 and the average margin (making this up but close) was 22% and we didn't pay shipping, then we made $110 minus credit card fees, utilities, rent, theft, breakage and store use goods. We are left with about $6 out of that $110. (And I didn't even count the thousands and thousands it cost to build out the store to begin with)

Now, go to the new policy: We have wait two weeks to order because we can't afford that much a week and make customers angry we order $1000 at a 22% margin which is $220. Oh double! Wait a sec! Remember I said they put shipping on now? Take off $350 right off the bat. We are now at a NEGATIVE $130 before any other expenses.

Wanna tell me now how we are supposed to survive?

And, this is not the only supplier making changes to how things are done.

Please folks, be patient with your LFS. Pay the couple bucks more for something local.

All the while, we have been shutdown for almost a month.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a rant here:

Brick and Mortar pet stores have a very low maintained margin. One of the largest expenses if you don't have labor, is shipping. How can XYZ pet supply think we can survive if they double the minimum order to $1000 AND cancel free route delivery? That makes shipping a minimum of $350 for a palletizing fee and delivery.

Quick math:

If before minimum was $500 and the average margin (making this up but close) was 22% and we didn't pay shipping, then we made $110 minus credit card fees, utilities, rent, theft, breakage and store use goods. We are left with about $6 out of that $110. (And I didn't even count the thousands and thousands it cost to build out the store to begin with)

Now, go to the new policy: We have wait two weeks to order because we can't afford that much a week and make customers angry we order $1000 at a 22% margin which is $220. Oh double! Wait a sec! Remember I said they put shipping on now? Take off $350 right off the bat. We are now at a NEGATIVE $130 before any other expenses.

Wanna tell me now how we are supposed to survive?

And, this is not the only supplier making changes to how things are done.

Please folks, be patient with your LFS. Pay the couple bucks more for something local.

All the while, we have been shutdown for almost a month.

What's going on with shipping right now, across the board, is simply price gouging, greedy and should be outlawed. Especially when one considers the cost of fuel. They've got everyone by the short hair.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on with shipping right now, across the board, is simply price gouging, greedy and should be outlawed. Especially when one considers the cost of fuel. They've got everyone by the short hair.

I completely agree.

For instance, Amazon is delaying shipments on all sorts of stuff. Why? There is absolutely no reason to. Even 3D filament which, BTW, they are begging us to use to print masks is being delayed by weeks, not days.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always ask my lfs if they can get things in before going on-line, I bought an ro unit and salt a couple of weeks ago for my nephew, money I would have spent on corals anyway, they deliver me live phyto and anything else I need every other friday evening and leave it inside my back gate. I love my lfs! :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. Shipping volumes are down because a large number of smaller "non critical" businesses and retailers are closed. In a normal world, that would drive prices down since there would be more competition per load. Instead, it has created more outbound shipping needs from critical suppliers like food and medicine so those trucks are going all over the country. The problem is that there are much fewer opportunities to carry a load back to that direction. If truckers can only carry a load one way it almost doubles their cost per load.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back