93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with Jebao DCP DC pumps. Fits your budgetary constraints, as well. well under $100 for whatever size you need.

I have one on my pond and I can't kill it. Just didn't know how quiet it was since it's outside and I never tried it anywhere else.

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the dcp-6500 on my office aquarium (10 feet from my chair) is dead silent. I hear the air intake on the reef octopus. I have that skimmer on a 3 minute delay. I can just hear the whir of the jebao until the overflow starts in. I don't hear it for the rest of the day.

Suffice it to say I am satisfied. and it's cheap enough that I can have an extra on standby in the event of a main return pump failure.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched for the best deal and found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253081970138

I added the three year warranty. For $8.49 it's solid insurance.

Total: $57.49

Running total: $659.26 + 57.49 = $716.95

$283.05 left to spend!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had put in that I was going to spend $35 on an ink bird controller. I actually spent $16 on one on amazon. So, $19 back in the budget!

$716.95 - $19 = $697.95 $302.05 left to spend.

I like the way this one is going to work because there aren't extra cords to it. It will be a lot more neat. I will just wire it to an outlet/switch specifically for the heater. This is another advantage of building my own switch panel rather than the DJ thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0152LYY0I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read several reviews from aquarists on it and it seems to work well.

Quinnchero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspiration tile for the new stand:

s-l1600.jpg
Can I ask where you got that ceramic tile? I searched for a long time for something close to that and ended up DIYing my own tile with heavy card stock paper spray glued to cheap bathroom tiles. They turned out nice, but I really like what you have there.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask where you got that ceramic tile? I searched for a long time for something close to that and ended up DIYing my own tile with heavy card stock paper spray glued to cheap bathroom tiles. They turned out nice, but I really like what you have there.

I actually bought the last 5 the guy had on ebay. I planned on using them as kind of my signature when I build a stand.

He has some chipped up ones left I thought about getting them and making a mosaic.

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had put in that I was going to spend $35 on an ink bird controller. I actually spent $16 on one on amazon. So, $19 back in the budget!

$716.95 - $19 = $697.95 $302.05 left to spend.

I like the way this one is going to work because there aren't extra cords to it. It will be a lot more neat. I will just wire it to an outlet/switch specifically for the heater. This is another advantage of building my own switch panel rather than the DJ thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0152LYY0I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read several reviews from aquarists on it and it seems to work well.

I've been on the hunt for just a device. Perfect. I just don't trust the built in thermostats on cheap heaters. I've never had a cheap heater's element fail... but the thermostats? Those fail all the time. Thanks for the $16 solution.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the hunt for just a device. Perfect. I just don't trust the built in thermostats on cheap heaters. I've never had a cheap heater's element fail... but the thermostats? Those fail all the time. Thanks for the $16 solution.
Cheapest one I've ever seen. I would never run a reef tank without a heater controller!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like I said earlier, I would have paid the $35. This I would have paid more for. It will be much, much cleaner of an install.

Glad I could help!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking up the skimmer and possibly second power head tonight!

Well, after a follow up Dr. appointment. Been having some residual issues from the stroke and they drew about 50 vials of blood a couple weeks ago. ;Vamp Is it legal to donate my blood without asking first? LOL.

Today I find out what the results are.

Wish me luck!

(BTW, warned everyone I would be updating on everything going on! :) )

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking up the skimmer and possibly second power head tonight!

Well, after a follow up Dr. appointment. Been having some residual issues from the stroke and they drew about 50 vials of blood a couple weeks ago. ;Vamp Is it legal to donate my blood without asking first? LOL.

Today I find out what the results are.

Wish me luck!

(BTW, warned everyone I would be updating on everything going on! :) )

Good luck!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention: I started laying out the electrical panel. It will look like crap with the switch covers I have.

Does anyone have a CNC machine or laser cutter they can help me out with something I have designed?

I could do it with a router and a template, but then it would require a LOT of hand filing to get it right.

I think I will try a test piece and see where that gets me.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This came in today:

IMG_20180823_180559.jpg

IMG_20180823_180701.jpg

The guitar pick is for reference.

This thing is TINY!

It will easily incorporate into my switch panel. Ya know, for under a grand, this thing is gonna turn out pretty slick. ;)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say the mounting system is clever for this thing, but, there will be a very narrow margin of error on the opening or it will show.

I am going to do a template for my router so I can sneak up on an exact fit then router it out and chisel/sand the corners square.

I will take pics along the way.

OMGMBP - I will send you the template if you want when I am done. It'll be a couple weeks though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back