93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes you wonder the purpose.

I lived through many, many tornadoes in Missouri.

I never saw anything like the destruction we get here in Alabama. When they hit, it's like a bomb went off.

You have to see it in person to really understand the magnitude.

Even 7 years later, you can see damage from the April 2011 storms.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live just on the edge of tornado ally and have only seen a serious threat of one once. We were actually at work and went outside and looked up and you could see it trying to form. The whole thing was scary. I've also seen one from a distance about 50 miles east of me while I was driving home on the interstate. I know it wouldn't take much for us to get one. It's a good and bad thing all mixed together, the town is on the edge of a caprock and it messes with our weather a lot. We get by passed on rain/moisture a lot but I think that's what pushes a lot of the bad stuff out as well.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a more bazaar tornado related story.

There is a Huntsville suburb called Harvest. In this suburb is a subdivision that gets hit every time we have tornados in this area.

In particular, one house. This guy has rebuilt 3 times from a total loss since 2004.

Insurance companies will no longer cover his house from storm damage. He has to self insure for that.

I think after the second time, I would have left the vacant lot and walked away. When they interviewed him and asked if he would rebuild a fourth time, he said "If the bank will load me the money, yes"

Only in Alabama! :confused:

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a Huntsville suburb called Harvest. In this suburb is a subdivision that gets hit every time we have tornados in this area.

In particular, one house. This guy has rebuilt 3 times from a total loss since 2004.

Insurance companies will no longer cover his house from storm damage. He has to self insure for that.

I think after the second time, I would have left the vacant lot and walked away. When they interviewed him and asked if he would rebuild a fourth time, he said "If the bank will load me the money, yes"

Yeah that's a good indication it's time to move on.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't even grasp this.... I'm with you. After the 2nd one I'd have left the property, probably the state and never looked back.

Warm wishes to all down there!

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heaters are in the sump.

I have finally gotten the 3d printer to be consistent. The last issue was the blue filament is crap. So, I have to order more for a few things I promised to print.

I drew up a bracket to hold the auto top off control box because the carpet tape didn't work worth a flip.

It's about 3/4 of the way done printing.

We cleaned up a bunch of the stuff laying around from the setup and I will have to sell off a bunch of lighting and things. I have just way too much equipment.
I know it is probably too late, but I cannot recommend 30lb mounting tape enough. I use this in equipment racks that fly all over the world (as well as for my aquarium) and it holds pretty great! If you need to remove it, it kind of rolls off with a little persuasion and leaves hardly any residue.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scot...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-205507375-_-203405976-_-N

Last edited:

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read all 47 pages from start to finish. War and Peace might have been a quicker read!

I am very impressed, keep up the good work! I can relate so much to how busy you stay and your DIY attitude, makes me think I need to slow down and learn a lesson about relaxing, glad you are healing from the stroke!

Sustainable aquatics is about 3 hours away from me, I think I am going to need to swing by there when I get around to my next purchase. I have been doing research into responsible and sustainable aquaculture and think I want to start supporting that where possible over wild caught.

Your thread was quite inspiring. I am 6 months in to my build and recently hit a wall with some issues, and it is more frustrating than enjoyable, it is nice to have a reminder that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Your thread also taught me some new info about overflows and preventing siphons, I love the methods you employed.

If you are ever in the Nashville area, let me know and we should get lunch!

Really....Such a great job!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read all 47 pages from start to finish. War and Peace might have been a quicker read!

I am very impressed, keep up the good work! I can relate so much to how busy you stay and your DIY attitude, makes me think I need to slow down and learn a lesson about relaxing, glad you are healing from the stroke!

Sustainable aquatics is about 3 hours away from me, I think I am going to need to swing by there when I get around to my next purchase. I have been doing research into responsible and sustainable aquaculture and think I want to start supporting that where possible over wild caught.

Your thread was quite inspiring. I am 6 months in to my build and recently hit a wall with some issues, and it is more frustrating than enjoyable, it is nice to have a reminder that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Your thread also taught me some new info about overflows and preventing siphons, I love the methods you employed.

If you are ever in the Nashville area, let me know and we should get lunch!

Really....Such a great job!

Wow! Thank you so much for the kind words.

I am only a couple hours from Nashville. We should definitely have lunch!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official total 23 dead, 11 missing and over 200 injured. This was a wicked one folks. 170mph. Virtually no warning. At least not enough to be of any use.

:(

This was only one tornado. We have had several of these at once before.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We went last night and got the boy's suit pants for the wedding and our suspenders. :)

Got to talking to the salesman and he knows the dude who keeps rebuilding. Apparently he doesn't think to highly of his intelligence. Let's put it that way. LOL!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to redo the outlet panel.

Yes, I know, I can't leave anything alone.

But, hear me out on this one. Doing any changes is a major feat the way I have it right now. I need to redo my temp probe and it requires disassembling all three pieces of it and unhooking all the equipment. Not good.

So, I will bring it all down and plug into strips temporarily and redo it so it's more maintenance friendly.

I might get a couple DJ power strips, disassemble them and toss them in the blasting booth I have and then teach myself to powder coat. We have an oven at the shop we bought to do this but I never bothered to finish the project. Or I may just paint the parts since I have a million things going on. Either way, I won't leave them black. Just wouldn't do. ;)

The other option is to use a couple outlet bars and smart outlets. I have a few laying around and they are relatively cheap on amazon. I am already using them to control the cabinet lights and panel lights.

Decisions, decisions.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catching up.. glad you and your family is safe from the storm, the devastation is unbelievable. See you got a RO buddy, I have one and love it!

Glad you are up to date.

Yes, it's unreal how much power these storms have.

So far, I really like it. So much smaller than my old 75gpd. With the pump I am getting enough water out to be satisfied for a while. When we do the store, we are looking at a $900 unit that does a true 300gpd with a pump and auto flush. It's really nice but I honestly think it won't be enough. We will just have to wait and see. It will take upwards of 2 weeks to fill everything we have planned the first time! ;Wideyed

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to redo the outlet panel.

Yes, I know, I can't leave anything alone.

But, hear me out on this one. Doing any changes is a major feat the way I have it right now. I need to redo my temp probe and it requires disassembling all three pieces of it and unhooking all the equipment. Not good.

So, I will bring it all down and plug into strips temporarily and redo it so it's more maintenance friendly.

I might get a couple DJ power strips, disassemble them and toss them in the blasting booth I have and then teach myself to powder coat. We have an oven at the shop we bought to do this but I never bothered to finish the project. Or I may just paint the parts since I have a million things going on. Either way, I won't leave them black. Just wouldn't do. ;)

The other option is to use a couple outlet bars and smart outlets. I have a few laying around and they are relatively cheap on amazon. I am already using them to control the cabinet lights and panel lights.

Decisions, decisions.

I vote for the powder coating. It's always good to learn new things. Plus, it's always good to have friends that powder coat! :D

Glad you are up to date.

Yes, it's unreal how much power these storms have.

So far, I really like it. So much smaller than my old 75gpd. With the pump I am getting enough water out to be satisfied for a while. When we do the store, we are looking at a $900 unit that does a true 300gpd with a pump and auto flush. It's really nice but I honestly think it won't be enough. We will just have to wait and see. It will take upwards of 2 weeks to fill everything we have planned the first time! ;Wideyed

$900 seems like a pretty good price for 300gpd. How many stages?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 5 stage from MAKO.

I found it a bit cheaper still yet.

But, I am really wondering if we shouldn't go with just RO for the freshwater side and drinking water and get a 200 gpd for it.

You can get them cheap. Then use the 300 gpd RODI for strictly saltwater.

I am thinking this would be a better move as freshwater doesn't tend evaporate nearly as much as salt in my experience.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for the powder coating. It's always good to learn new things. Plus, it's always good to have friends that powder coat! :D

$900 seems like a pretty good price for 300gpd. How many stages?

You know me, always learning new stuff.

If I can sneak in the cost of a new powder gun before the wedding without the Sheriff knowing...

:)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 5 stage from MAKO.

I found it a bit cheaper still yet.

But, I am really wondering if we shouldn't go with just RO for the freshwater side and drinking water and get a 200 gpd for it.

You can get them cheap. Then use the 300 gpd RODI for strictly saltwater.

I am thinking this would be a better move as freshwater doesn't tend evaporate nearly as much as salt in my experience.

How much research have you done on RODI and RO units? Since I know you well, I'd guess you're neck-deep into the research but I hate assuming anything. I ask because, if you'd like, I can help in the research.

BTW - FYI - freshwater evaporates at a faster pace than saltwater.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back