93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI - I have switched from using Dunlop Nylon picks to Thalia rosewood. Not much for gimmick guitar claims, but, honestly, they do improve tone, pick attack and control. I can use them on electric, acoustic 6 and 12 strings with the same results. Expensive, but well worth it. :)

Back to our regularly scheduled reef stuff...

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started on the stand tonight. Had to stop because my senior is playing in the band tonight at the game and my junior is filming it for the videography class.

They grow up way too fast!

Start with this:

IMG_20180824_144623.jpg

Then end up with these:

IMG_20180824_174952.jpg

Then after a bunch of drilling, gluing and fastening:

IMG_20180824_180540.jpg

IMG_20180824_180549.jpg

One down, three to go then it becomes a stand!

:)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit. Having a stroke has slowed me down. Today I was only able to do dishes, paint two coats on the living room, 4 loads of laundry, take the trash out, feed the dogs, cook breakfast and clean up the painting mess. Oh and clean up viruses and malware from my friend Tina's laptop. I still have one load of laundry to do, sweep and mop and make the bed. There was a time I would have been able to mow the grass and weed eat along with it. I am ashamed of myself.
1f923.png
1f602.png

I forgot, I worked on the stand some more and will probably have it assembled today.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was too hot for me when I went back to work on the stand. I will try to work on it some more today. I did, however, start the process for turning the 20H into the first section of the sump system.

Today I have to work on the stand, finish an in wall shelf in the hallway and go to a wedding cake testing, which stinks because I am diabetic and can't really eat it. Just taste it. ;Spitoutdummy ;Wideyed

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh a couple different threads I have been reading, they list the tools they use. I won't list them all just the highlights. Honestly, you could get by with much less.

Restored 1962 Rockwell model 9 cast iron table saw. (I also have a Rigid TS3612 at the shared shop)
Craftsman 1/2" combo plunge/fixed base router (I have 4 other restored routers but this is my work horse go to.)
Ryobi random orbital sander (burned up a dewalt and porter cable and this thing has outlasted both of them for a third of the price)
Dewalt 20v drill and impact driver set (4 batteries and two chargers)
Kreg rip cut guide
Kreg pocket hole jig (stationary at the shared shop and portable at the house)
Restored 1970 Rockwell Aluminum drop foot circular saw (Man, this saw is awesome!)
Ryobi jig saw
Various hand tools, bits and clamps.

Now, I have a bunch more tools but they rarely get used for aquarium stuff. I like to buy and restore old tools. The table saw, for instance, was a rust bucket with a bad belt and pulley I paid $50 for. I wouldn't sell it for $400 now. Just too nice even if it does need a better fence system. The circular saw I paid $2 for it and put a new chord and fixed the "broken" switch. It was just dirty. Even some of my pipe clamps are very old Jorgensens that I bought at a thrift store cheap and cleaned up and removed rust from. So, my hobbies tend to intertwine. Except for cooking, I don't cook anything from an aquarium. :D

I just figured I would pull back the curtain on me a bit more. ;)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having some issues so I slowed down a bit.

I did get the "legs" done and cut out parts for the rest of the stand frame. My sons will help me finish up the frame this weekend.

I also switched gears on my electrical panel. It was going to be completely utilitarian but, I ran into a way to save a bit of money and add some flare at the same time. This is a teaser:

switch.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so return of the switches and plates I bought. $24.78 w/tax back into the kitty.

Running total: $716.95 - 24.78 = $692.17

I paid $5.49 for the new style switches. So: $692.17 + 5.47 = $697.64

I still have $302.36 left to spend.

:D

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so the structural part of the stand is just about done:

IMG_20180901_150559.jpg

You can tell the living room is still under construction. :D

It just got too hot in the carport to work.

I have to put in the supports in the bottom and the bottom shelf and it's done.

There will be a ton of room under the tank. At least that's the way it seems right now.

The tank and the sand are to weigh down the top shop shelf until the glue sets because the 1/2" Baltic birch was a bit warped. I don't use fasteners where a tank sits to avoid pressure points. Once painted, I can start to set the tank up! Well, after the floor is done and the trim is put back. :(

Anyway, progress is progress.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The floor wound up being two pieces because I didn't want to go buy another sheet of plywood. I put a support under the seam and glued it down.

IMG_20180901_162247.jpg

The bottom is a tray 1.25" deep. Once I paint the inside and caulk the seams, it'll hold 4.87 gallons if something leaks.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I decide to build a new stand!

I found this under the old one when I cut it up:
IMG_20180901_163453.jpg

Yes, that's mildew. :eek:
Tanks can grow more than coral! :p

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is caulked.

I let the glue dry overnight before a lateral stress test was done. I actually tried to break this thing by racking it both directions. I could have if I would have gone all gorilla on it, but, suffice it to say, short of welded steel I have the most confidence of any stand I have ever built.

:D

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand looks good. Sleek. Mimics the lines of the tank.

Thanks!

I like tanks to sit down in a stand. I think it should lend to the display not be the center piece. It would be sort of like having a solid gold carved frame around a photograph. It would draw way too much attention away from the photo.

Once it's painted, it will be covered with removable panels on three sides held on by magnets.

Did the nano cube that way so this will match.

I will also sink the fish tile I posted a pic of earlier in the front.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much happening on the build until this weekend.

I set the 20H under the stand and put the skimmer in it to make sure I have room. It's going to be plenty of space to do maintenance. I will be able to remove the sump once a month with ease.

Sherry and I decided to how it was going to be placed in the living room. It will be in the corner and it will have upholstered moveable storage benches on either side. This is where I will hide some of the equipment and supplies. I wish I could use sketchup worth a darn. I would draw it up.

I will put the baffles in the sump this weekend and paint the stand. I will post pics of the process.

My evil plan is coming together! ;Stig

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question:

What would you all think about me making this into a clownfish/anemone tank?

I think a tank that size would be great for that idea.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question:

What would you all think about me making this into a clownfish/anemone tank?
I like the idea, also. I've thought about doing one if I ever set up another system.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing is, I have to have a green slimer. Long story, but, I have to have one.

:)

This weekend will be sparse work on the cube.

I am making a farmhouse bench for the dining room from reclaimed barn wood and I have to work on the 150 for my customer. Oh, I have to put up a piece of gutter and downspout at my fiancé's house. It got blown off.

But, it'll pick up. I promise.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back