93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I had forgotten about emptying a skimmer after feeding frozen food. I have a cast iron stomach and almost wretched! LOL!

Again, @Brew12 I can't thank you enough for selling me the Curve7. It's fantastic.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's over 20. This measured at 40!

It's now down around 18 and I am happy with it.
Gotcha, we have a similar threshold. 50+ I get a real uneasy feeling but my corals look happy haha. I shoot for 15, but I’m happy if I’m sub 25.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I had forgotten about emptying a skimmer after feeding frozen food. I have a cast iron stomach and almost wretched! LOL!

Again, @Brew12 I can't thank you enough for selling me the Curve7. It's fantastic.
Your rocking a curve 7 too! They are awesome aren’t they!

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I can find dino's in my system using a microscope if I pull scum out of the sump. It's all about having balance which is hard to achieve in a brand new tank. It's also easy to lose that balance if we strip nutrients from our tanks too aggressively. You aren't going to eliminate dino's. The best way to get rid of them is to stop fighting them and start feeding the stuff you would rather have growing.
Well.. that's my opinion anyway.
THIS^

Find a more "desirable" or controllable algae to outcompete the dinos.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm glad it is working better for you than it did for me. I never could get that thing dialed in well. I will say that when I wasn't causing an overflow it did work very well. It could have been undersized for my 120g system at the time.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seriously considering carrying BM branded stuff in the store just to be able to sell their skimmers. :)
Do it! I use their doser to, it’s fantastic as well.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had all manner of uglies taking over my tank over this first 6 months wet. I started with dead rock with 17 lbs of rock from gulfliverock.com . I haven't run a skimmer (don't own one) occasionally I wrapped carbon and/or gfo in filter floss and crammed it between baffles for a couple days. None of that seems to change my numbers. I have PO4 ~6ppm
NI3 ~25ppm. All my fish are doing great, most of my new frags are growing and full of color. My hitchhiker corals have probably doubled in size since I got the rock. I am very much using the let it be approach.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy belated birthday!

Thanks!

I have had all manner of uglies taking over my tank over this first 6 months wet. I started with dead rock with 17 lbs of rock from gulfliverock.com . I haven't run a skimmer (don't own one) occasionally I wrapped carbon and/or gfo in filter floss and crammed it between baffles for a couple days. None of that seems to change my numbers. I have PO4 ~6ppm
NI3 ~25ppm. All my fish are doing great, most of my new frags are growing and full of color. My hitchhiker corals have probably doubled in size since I got the rock. I am very much using the let it be approach.

It's amazing what can happen with a little patience, isn't it?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent the morning draining the gold fish/koi pond and cleaning it. The fish are in aquariums on the ground waiting for it to fill back up and dechlorinate.

Since last year I missed spring and fall maintenance because of the stroke, it was is really bad shape.

I am hoping to keep up with it now.

They are ticked at me!

:)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent the morning draining the gold fish/koi pond and cleaning it. The fish are in aquariums on the ground waiting for it to fill back up and dechlorinate.

Since last year I missed spring and fall maintenance because of the stroke, it was is really bad shape.

They are ****** at me!

Nicee!

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are ****** at me!

Just don't overdo it. Stay safe n healthy. Ask for help if ya need it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back