93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So something else I failed to mention. If you couldn't see it in photos of the tank last month, I had dinos. I didn't make a big deal out of it because I knew they could be beaten easily.

All I did was stop changing filter socks unless they clogged up and crank up the UV sterilizer to 24 hours a day. Gone. The filter socks become a nitrate sink and kill out certain kinds when nutrients go up. The UV gets the free floating kind. Don't know what kind I had, don't care. if you take these simple steps, you can get rid of them. There are way too many drastic and chemical measures taken. There is an entire thread of near psychotic behavior trying to rid the world of them when it doesn't have to be that way.

I can tell you this though. I doubt I will ever start another personal tank of mine with dead rock again. Just way too many algae issues doing so. IF I do, It will have seeded rock from another tank in it too and no method of removing nutrients until the algae phases are over.

I am going to use some dead and some TBS in the store display but will cycle the dead rock for at least two or three months before hand with the lights on in a tub to get the algae junk over with.

BTW, my nitrates went sky high and the color of the corals got much better. Just sayin'

Couldn’t agree more. People go to such drastic steps. After a bit of hand holding and talking me off the cliff I’ve finally learned to stop chasing things with chemicals. Although a good Chemiclean does wonders. But I do think the effect of having a skimmer offline for three says may have more to do with it.

Anytime I start to see Dino’s now, which oddly starts in the exact same spot in the back right corner of the tank. I remove 1/3 to 1/2 of the macro, which is usually overgrown in the chamber, few days later and no more Dino’s.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t agree more. People go to such drastic steps. After a bit of hand holding and talking me off the cliff I’ve finally learned to stop chasing things with chemicals. Although a good Chemiclean does wonders. But I do think the effect of having a skimmer offline for three says may have more to do with it.

Anytime I start to see Dino’s now, which oddly starts in the exact same spot in the back right corner of the tank. I remove 1/3 to 1/2 of the macro, which is usually overgrown in the chamber, few days later and no more Dino’s.

Awesome! It's good to hear something you practice isn't all luck.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pond is looking good, can't wait to add one to my backyard. I really kind of want to make a greenhouse with one in it, not sure if the HOA would approve of a greenhouse.

One reason I will NEVER move to where there is an HOA.

Pond is a lot more clear today.

I think once I redo the prefilter it'll be perfect.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need input on a lighting setup.

I am going to go with two Noopsyche K7s to see how they do on the 93 (and possibly be used in the store).

I want to run them perpendicular to the front of the tank.

Given the tank is 30" wide, what spacing do you think they should be at from side to side?

I was thinking 10" so it was equally divided but I am concerned with a major hot spot in the center of the tank.

I have diffusers made and can use them to help with shadowing if it becomes an issue.

Thanks for the input.

@Dana Riddle @Manose any input on this since you guys know these lights coverage better than I?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need input on a lighting setup.

I am going to go with two Noopsyche K7s to see how they do on the 93 (and possibly be used in the store).

I want to run them perpendicular to the front of the tank.

Given the tank is 30" wide, what spacing do you think they should be at from side to side?

I was thinking 10" so it was equally divided but I am concerned with a major hot spot in the center of the tank.

I have diffusers made and can use them to help with shadowing if it becomes an issue.

Thanks for the input.

@Dana Riddle @Manose any input on this since you guys know these lights coverage better than I?
I think your plan is a good one. If a hot spot is a concern, the lights' brackets can be easily modified by drilling 4 holes thus allowing them to be lowered by a few inches.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back