93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am very down to collab with @dantimdad once the time comes. I think in a month I will be able to have the breeder wet wet wet. I am going to run a filter on the nudie tank so we shall see if that seems to matter.

Growing aiptasia, I mastered that years ago ;Smuggrin

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am very down to collab with @dantimdad once the time comes. I think in a month I will be able to have the breeder wet wet wet. I am going to run a filter on the nudie tank so we shall see if that seems to matter.

Growing aiptasia, I mastered that years ago ;Smuggrin

In a month @dantimdad will have proliferated them so quickly they'll need to be housed in a 300g! Lol

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad if you're wondering how I know, I've got a huge berg farm at a friends. Probably a few hundred, been selling them locally. Went on a 120 mile drive to get aiptasia. They are absolutely ravenous with an unquenchable lust for aiptasia lol.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad if you're wondering how I know, I've got a huge berg farm at a friends. Probably a few hundred, been selling them locally. Went on a 120 mile drive to get aiptasia. They are absolutely ravenous with an unquenchable lust for aiptasia lol.

I may be sending you messages. :)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be sending you messages. :)

We've got an 8'x2.5'x15" frag tank full of bergs. The problem is not only do large ones require several aiptasia per DAY, but they lay hundreds of eggs every week.. They take over *so* fast it's staggering.

My friend started with 5 berghia in a 8x3x2 tank, every inch of rock was covered in aiptasia -- In a month, he had 200-300 Berghia and zero aiptasia left.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for @dantimdad, he is about an hour and a half from me, so he may have a supply if he does not want to raise them. I believe that Aiptasia Lives Matter as do the lives of Majanos, so they do not perish right off the bat, unless they are in my DTs lol. I currently have a nice little jar of about 20 of them. Yes a jar and it can be seen at the link below. The point I am getting at in all seriousness, is that I plan to setup a tank at work that is full of aiptasia and majanos. With my little jar experiment, I have learned some things about them in relation to nutrient levels (NO3) and growth. As well, as how to limit their growth. More on that once I figure out how to test it with a a control involved. But once that tank is setup in the next 2 weeks or so, it could be a supply for Aiptaisa if one did not want to grow their own. My plan is to cull the ugly ones, as there are some that show up with awesome striations and actually have a slight color to them. So the culled ones, could be food for the nudies. Just an idea lol.

here is the link to the Aiptasia Jar, and yes I made a meme of it, but this jar is real and started out as one little guy I got from a local reefer before they added nudies.

Post #17
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/im-bored-i-made-a-meme-show-me-yours.609462/

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny you mentioned that. I saw your meme.

I was going to ask about you supplying me with pods but we can talk about that privately.
I also have received about 6 Majanos from local reefers. I plan to do a 2.5 gallon tank with them. They are actually a very awesome looking and bright nem. Shame they grow at a ridiculous rate and shoot flames out of them. They would be a cool addition if they did not do what was previously mentioned.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berg's are ravenous. They are almost impossible to keep alive because they breed like crazy, lay tons of eggs, and a big one can eat several Aiptasia per day alone.

The problem is always Aiptasia. So hard to keep enough around.
Sounds alien to hear a concept of trying to keep aps alive instead of the other way around. But with a species that only consumes 1 thing. U better have alot of said food source ;)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out that wasn't the vendor that actually sold it. However, it was the number for saltwateraquarium.com. The guy on the phone was very helpful. He offered to go ahead and ship me a vial for free anyway. I decided he was so nice and helpful, I ordered the calcium kit from him on the spot.

Amazing customer service is what I look for way more than price. So, whenever I order now, I will look at them first.

Just had to post this.
I can concur. saltwateraquarium.com has some of the best customer service I have ever experienced. They have surprised me to the good side more than once.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nudibranchs haven't done anything noticeable yet. I think it will take a couple weeks.

Ca 435
dKH 11
PO4 .25
NO3 20

All in all, with how much I feed, I am happy with the numbers.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nudibranchs haven't done anything noticeable yet. I think it will take a couple weeks.

Oh no, that's not how they work.. The berghia you've got are NOT to eat aiptasia, they are to start a breeding colony. You don't need 5, you need 100+. Their job is to eat a few, breed a few generations, overrun the entire tank like a pest, and then die out. This is why keeping them alive and buying a minimum of 5 is absolutely necessary. They WILL lay eggs like mad though.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, that's not how they work.. The berghia you've got are NOT to eat aiptasia, they are to start a breeding colony. You don't need 5, you need 100+. Their job is to eat a few, breed a few generations, overrun the entire tank like a pest, and then die out. This is why keeping them alive and buying a minimum of 5 is absolutely necessary. They WILL lay eggs like mad though.
Unless you have a cleaner shrimp and/or some wrasses. Then... they become food. :confused:

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well I bought 8.

So, how long before this frenzy takes place?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back