93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool!
Pictures do not do them justice as I suck with a camera. But I will bring you a few polyps of each Sunday. I have some in the frag tank, so it’s no biggie. Do you want on a plug or just the rock rubble they are on?

1C49DE72-A3C7-46A5-B486-38AA056DBDDB.jpeg

83A1825C-44DE-4CC3-97D8-9D06F5C77BA8.jpeg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures do not do them justice as I suck with a camera. But I will bring you a few polyps of each Sunday. I have some in the frag tank, so it’s no biggie. Do you want on a plug or just the rock rubble they are on?

1C49DE72-A3C7-46A5-B486-38AA056DBDDB.jpeg

83A1825C-44DE-4CC3-97D8-9D06F5C77BA8.jpeg

I prefer rubble

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today will be very busy!

I have a supply order coming with pumps, heaters, canister filters, sponge filters (for QT) and nets from one supplier. Bulbs for the demo T5 fixture coming. T-shirts from Queensboro (they overnighted them). And Sherry and I are going to a couples card party.

I have no clue what that is really. But, it's something she wanted to do and you all know how much she sacrifices for me so this is a tiny way to say thank you to her.

Sherry has off Fridays and is spending her day off cleaning the store getting ready for the meeting. Her sister is coming down tomorrow to help as well. I did a whole bunch of cleaning Sunday and Monday but, this has been a family effort from the word go and I couldn't be more blessed.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am torn about what to use for frag tanks (for grow out not for display).

I thought about 50 gallon rubbermaid troughs but then you can't see in from the side. I have a 1/2" 29 gallon but, that would require a bunch of work to get them all in a rack, drilled, plumbed and lighted.

Thoughts?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am torn about what to use for frag tanks (for grow out not for display).

I thought about 50 gallon rubbermaid troughs but then you can't see in from the side. I have a 1/2" 29 gallon but, that would require a bunch of work to get them all in a rack, drilled, plumbed and lighted.

Thoughts?
Plywood tank with glass viewing ports? Cost friendly compared to all glass and you can build it to the size you want. Doing glass ports, you could use old tank glass. Also, if it is for grow out, it may not need to be that deep. That makes things even easier.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood tank with glass viewing ports? Cost friendly compared to all glass and you can build it to the size you want. Doing glass ports, you could use old tank glass. Also, if it is for grow out, it may not need to be that deep. That makes things even easier.
I also wonder if you could add view ports to stock tubs? cut a thin long section out of the tub, affix acrylic to that and have a view port???

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am building plywood tanks for frags that are getting sold in the store.

They are going to be 96 x 36 x 11" with 1/2" thick glass long sides.

At first there will be two of them end to end. we will have room for more as we grow.

I could have bought custom glass tanks this size for about $1000 each. This way it will cost under $600 for both of them. :)

I guess I could build a couple more for the back room at the same time as the ones for the show room.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building plywood tanks for frags that are getting sold in the store.

They are going to be 96 x 36 x 11" with 1/2" thick glass long sides.

At first there will be two of them end to end. we will have room for more as we grow.

I could have bought custom glass tanks this size for about $1000 each. This way it will cost under $600 for both of them. :)

I guess I could build a couple more for the back room at the same time as the ones for the show room.
The back room ones do not have to be pretty either. Just water tight.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back room ones do not have to be pretty either. Just water tight.

Yeah, but, I plan on having visitors in the future that will want to see the facilities so I better make them purdy to start with. LOL!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but, I plan on having visitors in the future that will want to see the facilities so I better make them purdy to start with. LOL!
True. I will be in the same boat this fall or winter. I am looking to build a macro grow out system since I love them as much as corals. Still planning this, as I have a dry 500g tank sitting where the macro growout would go lol. Too much stuff to do after our move lol.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I will be in the same boat this fall or winter. I am looking to build a macro grow out system since I love them as much as corals. Still planning this, as I have a dry 500g tank sitting where the macro growout would go lol. Too much stuff to do after our move lol.

Oh! I almost forgot. The guy that's going to be running the PTSD non-profit side of Main Street Aquariums would like some different macros if you can bring some it would be most appreciated. Also, want to carry your pods and macros in the store so we need to discuss that as well.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I almost forgot. The guy that's going to be running the PTSD non-profit side of Main Street Aquariums would like some different macros if you can bring some it would be most appreciated. Also, want to carry your pods and macros in the store so we need to discuss that as well.
I will bring cheato and graciliria with me, as that is all i have right now. As for the pods, we can discuss that for sure, as there have been some changes, but they dont really affect anything on your side.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will bring cheato and graciliria with me, as that is all i have right now. As for the pods, we can discuss that for sure, as there have been some changes, but they dont really affect anything on your side.

Thanks bro!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:

I need to cycle 25 air driven sponge filters. How would you do it?

I was thinking putting them all in a large tub of saltwater and run air to them like normal but do a super concentrated cycle of ammonia and microbacter 7 and just let it run for 30 days while testing and dosing ammonia and bacteria as needed.

Thoughts?

Feel free to refer this question to someone with some experience if you are aware of them.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:

I was thinking putting them all in a large tub of saltwater and run air to them like normal but do a super concentrated cycle of ammonia and microbacter 7 and just let it run for 30 days while testing and dosing ammonia and bacteria as needed.

Thoughts?

Feel free to refer this question to someone with some experience if you are aware of them.
I cannot think of an idea better than what you suggest. Especially if you are looking to make sure the is 0 chance of any baddies that may hitch a ride.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:

Thoughts?

What are you calling a "super concentrated cycle of ammonia"?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you calling a "super concentrated cycle of ammonia"?

I will raise the ammonia to 10ppm for a week. Then as soon as nitrites are measurable back it down some for another week then let it finish

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot think of an idea better than what you suggest. Especially if you are looking to make sure the is 0 chance of any baddies that may hitch a ride.

Exactly. These are bare bottom, clean observation tanks that will have PVC pipes for hiding places and will all be separate in case a fish does get something, then I can just treat that tanks and discard the sponge filter afterwards.

I will need to use peroxide on the sponge filters after every round to kill any potential pathogens and keep a set cycled and waiting.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back