93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will raise the ammonia to 10ppm for a week. Then as soon as nitrites are measurable back it down some for another week then let it finish
Isn’t 10 a little to high? Not sure if it would kill the bacteria or not at that level. I remember seeing something somewhere about that and different bacs in a bottle being tested at high levels

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, these tanks will only be run with a heater, sponge filter, extra air stone and a 10% water change every week.

They will have glass lids to prevent cross contamination. Each round of observation and/or treatment, they will be bleached, rinsed and dried then new saltwater will be added.

I will also keep lighting to a minimum to keep maintenance and stress down. The last week before they are sold, the lights will ramp up some to help them acclimate.
Isn’t 10 a little to high? Not sure if it would kill the bacteria or not at that level. I remember seeing something somewhere about that and different bacs in a bottle being tested at high levels

I will look into it.

It won't hurt to do a normal cycle I guess. Probably cheaper on microbacter anyway. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will raise the ammonia to 10ppm for a week. Then as soon as nitrites are measurable back it down some for another week then let it finish
I wouldn't do it that way. Dr Tim was a co-author on a study that shows different strains of AOB's process ammonia more efficiently at different ammonia concentrations. An AOB strain that may process ammonia really well at 5ppm may not process ammonia well at all at 0.5ppm. I suspect this is why some tanks stall when large ammonia sources are used. They drop from 5ppm to 1ppm quickly but then take days to get from 1ppm to 0.
I wouldn't go above 2ppm. In fact, I would try to keep it around 1ppm to get the fastest results. Also keep in mind that in a sterile tank using pure ammonia you can stall your cycle by what I suspect is a phosphorus limitation. It takes around a month of constant ammonia but it's been replicated by quite a few others. Adding some flake food can help keep things going.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it that way. Dr Tim was a co-author on a study that shows different strains of AOB's process ammonia more efficiently at different ammonia concentrations. An AOB strain that may process ammonia really well at 5ppm may not process ammonia well at all at 0.5ppm. I suspect this is why some tanks stall when large ammonia sources are used. They drop from 5ppm to 1ppm quickly but then take days to get from 1ppm to 0.
I wouldn't go above 2ppm. In fact, I would try to keep it around 1ppm to get the fastest results. Also keep in mind that in a sterile tank using pure ammonia you can stall your cycle by what I suspect is a phosphorus limitation. It takes around a month of constant ammonia but it's been replicated by quite a few others. Adding some flake food can help keep things going.

Thanks for the info!

I will read the article and get back to you.

Always a wealth of technical information. :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are too smart lol. I mention reading something and this guy remembers the exact article.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!

I will read the article and get back to you.

Always a wealth of technical information. :)
I think I have it saved to my computer at work if you can't find it.

I would also consider setting up a small tank for cycling your sponge filters. I recommended the same thing to an online vendor and they had great success with it. Make a small tank with baffles (like a sump) to direct water up and down across a tank. Use a small pump and hose to move water from one end to the other. Space the baffles so you can fit your sponge filters between them but still force water through them so you will need to completely fill each baffle you intend to use. Add your ammonia and bottled bacteria to the tank and let it circulate. Much cheaper to cycle 25 filters using one small pump as opposed to 25 air pumps.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are too smart lol. I mention reading something and this guy remembers the exact article.
I don't remember the exact study, but I did a ton of research on tank cycling a year or two ago. I've read dozens of scientific studies on AOA's, AOB's and the role of algae in processing ammonia. Unfortunately, they do blur together. :rolleyes:
If I'm remembering correctly on this one, Dr Tim didn't have his doctorate yet and was a student author on the study. I've always assumed this study was the basis for his recommending 2ppm but never thought to ask him.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't be using individual pumps. I am getting a three 60 L/min gang outlet pumps for commercial use. :) Going to build a filtered quiet box for them like back in the old days when I ran great big air driven counter current skimmers. Although they are already filtered and supposedly way more quiet than the old ones.

Each will run 6 or 7 of the sponge filters. According to what I read they only need about 5 liter per minute each so I am good on water movement.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also reach out to Dr. Reef. He completed a pretty big home experiment that really demonstrated that some bottled bacteria outperformed others and some performed best when paired with fishfood. Did you catch that thread by chance? I think the refridgerated Frizt Turbo 900 really performed the best without fish, fish food or fish poo. But there were several strong contenders.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also reach out to Dr. Reef. He completed a pretty big home experiment that really demonstrated that some bottled bacteria outperformed others and some performed best when paired with fishfood. Did you catch that thread by chance? I think the refridgerated Frizt Turbo 900 really performed the best without fish, fish food or fish poo. But there were several strong contenders.

Thanks @Victoria M !

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you happen to have a link?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a link?
First study

Second study

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back