93 Gallon Build: An introduction to patience...

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On vacation this week, so not much to report. Leaving the tank behind was nerve wreaking but I have a local fish store taking care of it. Discover Aquatics in Wilder, KY has some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people in the area. Andrew and Shawn have been very helpful with my livestock, placing custom orders for and ensuring I'm satisfied with the product before ever exchanging a dollar. They work hard to keep the customers satisfied and want nothing more than for you to have a successful tank.

Speaking of keeping the customer satisfied I need some eye candy for the update; I did get a fun clip from the beach in Playa del Carmen earlier today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ReefTank/comments/7v4ivi/snorkeling_clip_from_playa_del_carmen/

(hoping the link works properly its not allowing me to upload the MP4 file)

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another week of vacation over with, Mexico was fun and had a lot of good memories seeing a dear friend getting married... Playa del Carmen was a blast and would be interested in going again. I was going to make some posts with a snorkeling trip we took but thats a lot of work that I can not actually complete from my work computer. For now I'll leave you with a shot of the locals who were constantly judging the Americans and their over indulgence of the "all inclusive lifestyle"
IMG-3238.JPG

The tank survived the week, Andrew from Discovery Aquatics kept the tank up and running and hedged off a couple problems I had starting to pop up. First off the favia that was introduced to the tank a week before leaving was starting to bleach (as seen below) so some re-positioning stopped the bleaching and will hopefully begin to recover.

IMG-3288.JPG

Outside of that my two blenny's are fat as can be and alway a joy to look at. From what I can tell my chaeto added from Algae Barn either melted away or got sucked into the return chamber. I found a couple small stands in my DT and the piece in the sump went from a loose baseball to a gumball an not looking very good. I hope I will not have to battle chaeto in the DT from now on. I will wait till I have a more developed tank to add the macro algae again. not sure if I will add anything else to the fuge right now or not. Was kind of disheartening to see it disappeared because it was a great product and unfortunate because I'm not sure what happened to it. Regardless here are the two kings of the tank currently.

IMG-3307.JPG

IMG-3320.JPG

As you can see some brown algae has popped up again which they blenny's have been enjoying snaking on but the green coraline is taking off! I'll update more on that though in the Purple Helix post. Hope your reefs are doing well!

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a valve after the one on the manifold or only the one on the manifold?

Both, it looks like I lack the photos on my build but will take some when I am on my lunch break. I have a cepex ball valve on the manifold to be able to turn on/off the reactor and fine tune the flow and then an additional ball valve, the one included with the BRS reactor kit after the reactor to slow down flow if needed.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you are still getting tumbling ? Also remember you do need a lot of flow the longer the contact time with the water the better.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you are still getting tumbling ? Also remember you do need a lot of flow the longer the contact time with the water the better.

No I settled my issues after my third attempt installing the carbon. it just took a bit of trial and error to get the process down.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a valve after the one on the manifold or only the one on the manifold?

Since I never provided photos of the "final" sump layout here are a couple photos... I moved the ATO reservoir up front for easier top off and allow storage of random stuff along the right side of the sump. I am not the biggest fan of the location of the reactor. It fits well there but has made it difficult to switch out the canister easily.

@Greenstreet.1 you can see the two ball valves in the second photo.

IMG-3348.JPG

IMG-3349.JPG

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see you. But you do know in that setup if you close the valve on the reactor and don’t match the incoming flow rate you will cause it to tumble

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see you. But you do know in that setup if you close the valve on the reactor and don’t match the incoming flow rate you will cause it to tumble

if its all inline, restriction at either end will slow total flow. I dont see how back pressure will cause it to tumble.

Maybe initially when I adjust the valves but not constantly.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm new here, just saying I'm confused on how the mechanics work.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I said if the flow rate match and it’s not heavy you should not get a tumble. But if the flow coming in is great than going out you may.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. I am curious on others opinions of the QT tanks being that close. I know I've read that QTs should be so far from your DT, but what about a coral/invert QT being right next to your fish QT?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back