99% elimination of dino or 100%?

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the slightly amount of dino in my tank. basically i have a abs board on teh bottom of my tank, but its not perfectly sized so there's like a 1/16" gap along the front of the tank. This gap basically has very little flow so i get a very slight amount of dino growth in there. Should I be going nuts to completely eliminate ALL dino or is just a slight amount fine?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't think you can totally ever erradicate dinos from the tank. They will always be there and ready to rise up if conditions are ripe for them.

I wouldn't worry about stressing too remove a small patch. But, you can always try to siphon add many as possible through a 1-10 micron sock to help reduce their numbers.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, did you remove any rock, sand, or biomedia recently?

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, system hasn't really been touched much lately.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't think you can totally ever erradicate dinos from the tank. They will always be there and ready to rise up if conditions are ripe for them.

I wouldn't worry about stressing too remove a small patch. But, you can always try to siphon add many as possible through a 1-10 micron sock to help reduce their numbers.
+1^
This is my experience as well. If I let the glass dirty up a little and put a scrape under the 'scope I can always find a few little ostreos running around. And I keep >10 NO3 and >.1 PO4 generally.

If my feeding gets too lazy and nutrients drop in half or so, I will visibly see some trying to make a run. I just hang a UV for a week and dump in a bucket of chum every day and they fall back.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont even worry about that little bit that's left in the tank anymore. unless you're looking at it from the side planes you don't even see it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back