OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their not that bad to catch , easily bated , I started using for the same reason and ended up keeping it . Their beautiful to look at and have their own personality . I just buy a chocolate starfish for it to eat about one a month .

When first starting the tank, I had wanted one. I love shrimp. I have peppermints, skunk cleaners, fire shrimp, pistol shrimp. I saw the
Harlequin and wanted to add. When I looked into it more, I found out they only eat starfish, and I don't have a local place that regularly sells them. My LFS gets maybe one a year in. Several online vendors sell them, but the shipping cost each time would be crazy. I did see a suggestion to buy several and keep them in a separate tank. I do love how pretty they are.

A aptasia eating file fish to eat aptasia , a foxface bristletooth tang for bubble algae , and Mexican turbo snails to eat long hair algae might be of help to help clean up the other issues you have but could be hit or miss depending on the peticular fish . Kole tangs love diatoms and algae plus their cool to watch . Hope this is helpful

I've always had good luck with peppermint shrimp and aiptasia. Emerald crabs have been hit or miss with bubble algae. However, Reef Cleaners, who I usually order my CUC from, guarantees his emerald crabs will eat bubble algae. So I thought I would try it out. If they don't take care of it before the tank move, maybe I could add some more fish in the bigger tank.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When first starting the tank, I had wanted one. I love shrimp. I have peppermints, skunk cleaners, fire shrimp, pistol shrimp. I saw the
Harlequin and wanted to add. When I looked into it more, I found out they only eat starfish, and I don't have a local place that regularly sells them. My LFS gets maybe one a year in. Several online vendors sell them, but the shipping cost each time would be crazy. I did see a suggestion to buy several and keep them in a separate tank. I do love how pretty they are.

I've always had good luck with peppermint shrimp and aiptasia. Emerald crabs have been hit or miss with bubble algae. However, Reef Cleaners, who I usually order my CUC from, guarantees his emerald crabs will eat bubble algae. So I thought I would try it out. If they don't take care of it before the tank move, maybe I could add some more fish in the bigger tank.
I just got one from reef cleaners for my pico and he immediately went to work on the bubble algae. Cleared it out in a couple days.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one from reef cleaners for my pico and he immediately went to work on the bubble algae. Cleared it out in a couple days.
I'm hoping they do. I bout several for this tank and another one for my 30 gallon.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they work out for you !!! I’ve never ordered from reef cleaners before . I’d really be interest in how well they do . In general I’ve never had good luck with emerald crabs eating bubble algae . Please post their progress

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they work out for you !!! I’ve never ordered from reef cleaners before . I’d really be interest in how well they do . In general I’ve never had good luck with emerald crabs eating bubble algae . Please post their progress

Here are some before pictures of the bubble algae. This is from two different tanks. In this tank I put 5 emeralds, in my 30 gallon I put 2.

9D1FDE18-D720-4959-8373-4F04C5F0B7B2.jpeg
A73E3D53-AC32-4C6E-B477-58537D5000FF.jpeg
D4289947-C432-417D-87A0-42F7ADFFF69C.jpeg
3877DE27-B53E-4AD9-B4EB-637E44341788.jpeg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating whether I should move my toadstool. The rock it is on is very crowded with two other sinularias. I'm not sure how to do it, though. I've never kept anything when I cut it. I am assuming all I need to do is cut the stalk of the toadstool and rubberband it onto a new rock. Do I need to dip the toadstool after the cut, or will it be fine? Also, what will happen to the piece of the stalk left behind? Will it start to grow a new head?

taodstool.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,yes to all above,dip not ness,but a lugols 10-15 dip could not hurt if cut,
i would recommend if possible, to pull rock ,score around base with hammer and chisel ,then pop off w piece of rock,
no harm to coral,and wont grow back in same spot again...:)

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,yes to all above,dip not ness,but a lugols 10-15 dip could not hurt if cut,
i would recommend if possible, to pull rock ,score around base with hammer and chisel ,then pop off w piece of rock,
no harm to coral,and wont grow back in same spot again...:)
I decided to wait until I transfer stuff to the new tank. I think I may be able to pull this rock out of the structure it is in.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally moved this tank over to the 180-gallon tank. I am going to clean this tank out and list it. If you’re interested in a Red Sea Reefer 350 with all the equipment needed to start a tank, let me know, or check out the sale thread to see all the specifics.
FBCEC458-8007-450C-96CA-38A0263CF8E8.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back