A (Blank) Gallon evolution in the hobby

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef! Starting what I plan to be my third and final build thread. (Famous last words, I know.) My wife and I are relocating within the next two months and the plan is to purchase a home that allows for a monster system. We're looking for homes with basements that can allow for a sizable fish room and two large systems tied together. The vision is the have a reef of around 280 gallons (72x36x25), a FOWLR of 300 gallons (96x30x25), an 80 gallon frag system (48x24x16), and a 100 gallon sump. I would expect to end up with roughly 550-600 gallons of salt in the basement after all the displacement. I hope to have a basement layout to where the two tanks will form an L and set up the tanks to drain into the same sump with the frag system fed off via a secondary pump.

The reef I would keep smaller than some of the monster tanks we see on this sight just to keep some expenses down and flow easier to maintain. If the basement layout allows for it the tank will be peninsula style. The tank will need to be drilled for closed loops to keep as much equipment out of the tank as possible on the far end of the penninsula. Kessil and T5 lighting. A mix of MP60's and MP40's for flow as well as the closed loops. I would like to keep the tank just euro-braced without any cross bracing but thats yet to be seen, I like the 36 inch width but want at least 24-26 inches deep. At 60-72 inches long that approaches the threshold for safety.

The FOWLR will be longer to allow for some additional length to add some variety into the fish. With less of an emphasis on lighting this tank can be braced however is easiest to keep the price a bit lower. If the basement layout allows for it I would like this tank to be the backdrop of a bar.

The fish room itself ideally will allow room for a full QT system, the frag system, a fragging/testing work area, and water change system. I know there are specific requirements for moisture control and electricity which might limit my ability to have everything I want.

This is just the initial outline and of course will evolve overtime.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've addressed some of this in my other build threads (in signature) but what my focus is on currently for what I expect to be a multi year process is to save the corals/fish I currently have.

As of today, we have what I expect to be 2 months until we have to move the existing 3 tanks. A 93 Gallon cube, ad 25 Gallon lagoon, and a 14 gallon QT. The contents of these tanks will be moved into a temporary 80 gallon tank 100 miles away. This tank will eventually be reused as the frag/grow out tank for the larger system. This system will be as follows:

• Display tank: Deepblue 80 Gallon (48x24x16) Rimless Frag tank
  • Glass or Acrylic: Glass
  • Stand: Custom build (Father in Law workshop)
  • Sump: DIY 40 breeder with glass baffles, light diffuser media racks, and KLIR DI-4 sock holder
  • Protein skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 5 Skimmer
  • Carbon/phosphate filtration: BRS Mini Reactor
  • Return pump: Sicce 4.0
  • Water circulation: IceCap 1K Gyre x2, SeaSwirl 3/4 inch return
  • Lighting (display): Aquatic Life T5 hybrid 48inch, Kessil A360W-E x2 (Eventually)
  • Auto top-off: Tunze 3155
  • Heating: Eheim Jager 125 Watt x2
  • System control: Apex, Inkbird Heater controller, WXM, VDM, FMM, Breakout Box

The rock for this tank has been cycling since Christmas weekend in a brute trashcan with MicroBacter 7, and Dr Tim's One and Only Ammonia. I hope to have the sump to be siliconed together this weekend, the stand construction completed, and plumbing completed. I dont anticipate being able to get the tank wet just yet, but within the next two weeks that would be ideal. Setting up the Apex will take an entire day I'm sure. I hope to have the lighting, back up heater controller, water sensors, ATO sensor, and alerts all programmed before the weekend is over.
534E6AF8-9CB1-4784-8562-7F3EA5E9D5AA.jpeg

DE754FC9-6092-4BC0-B2E0-E773D8CD2DB2.jpeg

1C5BE3AA-3E5B-49C1-A597-E90037B01AAE.jpeg

The Father in Law (FiL from here forward) is an engineer with a life long hobby in woodworking. He's already constructed one stand for me (first photo below, with currently under the 25 lagoon) the Frag/holding tank stand has been built to match in Red Cedar as well. In process picks under the existing tank photo.
stand.jpg

4FA5906F-6A98-4D3B-948B-975141B63A10.jpeg

A2C840CE-DDD9-4860-97DE-AD314CAC45ED.jpeg

B0CA065B-1537-4FF0-AB9B-CDC46BD918B3.jpeg

I do not plan to use any sand in this system, with it only planned to be set up for 6 months or so before its moved into the new home I do not want to deal with the mess. HOWEVER I do plan to test out something I've wanted to try for awhile which is to line the bottom of the tank with large 3x3 inch frag tiles. I envision this to work as easy ways to frag growing corals and ensure there is a decent amount of surface area. I am in the habit of sifting and puffing up my sand on a regular bases to ensure detritus has not settled in, so I feel blowing these tiles off will be the same to ensure nothing settles into the cracks. I want to give a big shoutout here to @Bulk Reef Supply . When I initially purchased a several hundred of these frag tiles the shipping box had been dropped and roughly 30 of the tiles had shattered. With no question BRS shot me over 50 new tiles (adding extra to allow for some breakage in shipment) One more reason to LOVE their customer service.
050D6CC7-DACB-416B-9F8B-24BDFE944759.jpeg

The lighting is going to be a bit of an issue. I have the 4 ft aquatic life fixture ready to be hung however the two kessils are currently over the 93 cube as it stands today. I hope to set up the T5's and they will sustain the majority of corals (Zoas, shrooms, galaxia, clove polyps) while I clear the corals off the sand bed. The main rock structure will be transferred all at once and at that time the Kessils can be transferred as well. I do have a Vibraspectra as backup, and some Noopsyche K7's that can be hung with the Aquatic life, but I'm not sure if they're needed and I want the least effect as possible on some of the more delicate corals on the main rock struction (euphillia, digitata, and montiporas)

As ever this is a work in progress, so I hope to keep everyone filled in with my processes for the move, documentation of how the corals handle it. What worked and what did not.

2EBE7E7E-1C7F-4A67-AD25-E62E1571CED8.jpeg 4EC870BC-1C68-4645-8160-06785DF30F2C.jpeg 12EE297B-44F3-45B8-9FFD-52F90B00B225.jpeg 711A76C9-5C70-4884-876E-6803BA110C11.jpeg

Last edited:

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like this will be a really nice build to see progress once you have new home. I would highly recommend a walking platform for access. I would also consider if you have the space for it to move the sumps out from under the tanks and into the fish room to have better access.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like this will be a really nice build to see progress once you have new home. I would highly recommend a walking platform for access. I would also consider if you have the space for it to move the sumps out from under the tanks and into the fish room to have better access.

@AlexG thank you very much! Your profile has been a huge inspiration! While I will not be going as large as you, your duel system influenced this build.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I appreciate the details in the description of your plans and am cheering for you as you bring this all together!

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temporary 80 gallon tank build got wet this past week... at least in a small way.

The sump was built, rock that had been cooking in brute with microbacter and dr tims ammonia was added, and the return was plumbed into the return so we’re cycling at least.

the main tank is not wet but the sump is.... we also got the lights hung (aquatic life T5 hybridand some of the equipment placed. (Sea swirl, ATO, heaters) I added the 3x3 tiles into the sump as well to help populate with bacteria.

5556B2A9-BB40-4B22-BCA9-1D2EED332C80.jpeg

52F71FF8-EF9A-49BA-B0CB-FDFCABD8B589.jpeg

A364CA5D-CD56-4ECD-8A2D-4E77AA96CA39.jpeg

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick video of the sump in action. My first DIY sump and it was much easier than expected. The first baffle silicon job is ugly but the next two went in much cleaner.

(struggle busing posting this video)

The water line in the return chamber has been raised about 3-4 inches so it’s only about 1 inch below the middle chamber... the video was taken when I was making the last bucket of water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update just yet.... the tank should get fully plumbed this coming weekend.

Our house was put on the market on Feb 13th and sold on the 16th. The tanks up and running currently made an appearance in the listing photos.
FAABAD4F-B7D8-4585-80FE-AFEBF1459A15.jpeg

6932BD9B-3617-4177-A8D0-94EE0E0C8B79.jpeg

We just got from a diving trip to Grand Caymen, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. I will be uploading some videos and my own personal photography but on our last dive we had a professional photographer in tow and here are some of her amazing photos.
618D877A-D30C-45CF-8A21-BAFEB94CB5AA.jpeg

27D0A29A-2214-47A6-98B9-CB7A733B8DF1.jpeg

AFED312D-D6E0-461D-9D5D-CBE1165ABB8A.jpeg

C192E6F3-8977-4413-B35A-A3EFEBD692D1.jpeg

631F90C8-D996-4CFE-952D-0F6CED022870.jpeg

48AFC829-A04D-4031-94C1-31A430D65D7E.jpeg

38762720-5C9D-4C80-92D6-6C928BF4AE40.jpeg

07EFA039-6774-4226-B019-B3FE45FB1F4B.jpeg

as always... more to come. Happy Reefing everyone!

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since I've updated thought I would fill everyone in on how things are progressing. I'm currently sitting in the screen in porch of the inlaws watching my fish enjoy their new home.

porch.jpg

After the move the tank has been going through some "new tank" ups and downs. I had an alk spike up to around 10 due to some expired reagent for my test kits. The only real tragedy is looking to be a baseball size galaxia that is slowly receeding its skeleton.

rough.jpg

I was dosing amino acids to help everyone adjust and recover however the nutrients, with some newer rock mixed with my old rock was causing a bit of a dino outbreak. At least thats my story. Some of the corals brought into this tank, from my previous 25 had a bad outbreak of Ostreopsis. I added UV to that system and never saw them again. I'm assuming they followed into this tank somehow and now with no UV are running a muck again.

Regardless the best news I have to share... WE BOUGHT A HOUSE! with a basement large enough to house the systems I want. Check out the basement blueprint here... I'll include an extremely rough drawing of how I want the tanks to layout.

BP-Basement.jpg

You can see the windows in the Family Room on the "north" wall. This will be where my home office/library will be. The wall which will have the tanks is sharing a wall with the unfinished storage/garage. This is a basement room separate from our 2 car garage. The laundry is on the main level so all that will be in this unfinished section is a dog washing station, yard equipment, and my "fish room".

The first tank to come into the home will be the 80 gallon "frag" tank that is currently at the inlaws house, secondly is the tank I'm in discussion with Felix from Reef Savvy, it will be between 60 and 63 inches long, 30 inches wide, and 24-30 inches tall. I am not going to take it all the way to 30, I know it begins to get difficult to maintain at that depth. Wanting to try to avoid cross bracing and keep only perimeter eurobracing I believe will end up at 26 or 27 inches deep leaving us somewhere around ~220 gallons. This tank will be the only one for at least a year, it will take longer to convince my wife to allow me to buy a second $6000 fish tank. Eventually the FOWLR will be 108x36x27 around 450 gallons. Trying to match the tank height of the Reef while allowing for a larger footprint for the more aggressive non-reef safe fish. It will also allow for fish to grow out in the smaller systems and into the larger tank.

sketch.jpg

The Reef will be flat against the wall between the Family room and the garage, while the FOWLR will act as a room separator. I will also allow for a cabinet for the brains of the operation. The two tanks will form an L with the plumbing going through the wall at the same corner. Ideally. We're currently bringing in a structural engineer to be confident we can cut into and through this wall without causing too many issues.

The system is continually evolving of course but each step we get closer I get just that much more excited. Happy Reefing everyone!

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since I've updated thought I would fill everyone in on how things are progressing. I'm currently sitting in the screen in porch of the inlaws watching my fish enjoy their new home.

porch.jpg

After the move the tank has been going through some "new tank" ups and downs. I had an alk spike up to around 10 due to some expired reagent for my test kits. The only real tragedy is looking to be a baseball size galaxia that is slowly receeding its skeleton.

rough.jpg

I was dosing amino acids to help everyone adjust and recover however the nutrients, with some newer rock mixed with my old rock was causing a bit of a dino outbreak. At least thats my story. Some of the corals brought into this tank, from my previous 25 had a bad outbreak of Ostreopsis. I added UV to that system and never saw them again. I'm assuming they followed into this tank somehow and now with no UV are running a muck again.

Regardless the best news I have to share... WE BOUGHT A HOUSE! with a basement large enough to house the systems I want. Check out the basement blueprint here... I'll include an extremely rough drawing of how I want the tanks to layout.

BP-Basement.jpg

You can see the windows in the Family Room on the "north" wall. This will be where my home office/library will be. The wall which will have the tanks is sharing a wall with the unfinished storage/garage. This is a basement room separate from our 2 car garage. The laundry is on the main level so all that will be in this unfinished section is a dog washing station, yard equipment, and my "fish room".

The first tank to come into the home will be the 80 gallon "frag" tank that is currently at the inlaws house, secondly is the tank I'm in discussion with Felix from Reef Savvy, it will be between 60 and 63 inches long, 30 inches wide, and 24-30 inches tall. I am not going to take it all the way to 30, I know it begins to get difficult to maintain at that depth. Wanting to try to avoid cross bracing and keep only perimeter eurobracing I believe will end up at 26 or 27 inches deep leaving us somewhere around ~220 gallons. This tank will be the only one for at least a year, it will take longer to convince my wife to allow me to buy a second $6000 fish tank. Eventually the FOWLR will be 108x36x27 around 450 gallons. Trying to match the tank height of the Reef while allowing for a larger footprint for the more aggressive non-reef safe fish. It will also allow for fish to grow out in the smaller systems and into the larger tank.

sketch.jpg

The Reef will be flat against the wall between the Family room and the garage, while the FOWLR will act as a room separator. I will also allow for a cabinet for the brains of the operation. The two tanks will form an L with the plumbing going through the wall at the same corner. Ideally. We're currently bringing in a structural engineer to be confident we can cut into and through this wall without causing too many issues.

The system is continually evolving of course but each step we get closer I get just that much more excited. Happy Reefing everyone!
I'm still working on trying to get my first tank setup but love how we have so many different ways to configure these systems. Also Great pics above form the dive trip!

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working on trying to get my first tank setup but love how we have so many different ways to configure these systems. Also Great pics above form the dive trip!

Thanks! It truely is one of the most rewarding parts of the hobby. To take something from your mind, put it to paper, and then see it develop into a living thing.

For this build I am getting ready to construct a stand for one of my QT's tanks. With the quotes coming in for the smaller of the two tanks at around $5K for build, crating, delivery I'm getting some additional quotes.

It's difficult to really gauge the scope of the project, the flooring will need to be redone in the basement as neither my wife or I like carpet. (Especially in a basement that could be getting wet.) Trying to figure out the best option for the wall/fake wall between the unfinished portion of the basement and the display tanks.

Now this confusing perspective is not to scale but approximate locations are accurate. Green lines represent the display tanks. Black lines are the upper cabinet for electronics. Yellow and Red will be T-slot aluminum stands. Blue is a void space between the two tanks to allow for maintenance on the right side of the reef tank.

As you can see, duct work, electrical lines, and on the back side of the wall (which you cant see) the water heater will need to be moved. (Please ignore the mess from unpacking)
basement.jpg

For those who have gone through a wall, or put up faux walls... what materials do you suggest? Would removable panels be a good idea?

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is something this build thread has been lacking thus far... corals. These are the remaining colonies/frags from previous builds which are being housed temporarily in what will LONG term be the grow out / frag system. The 80 gallon deep blue.

940B6E7E-B0A4-4893-BAF3-1CE010C1F7B5.jpeg EBA424EA-BF84-4E35-B34F-E3844E9AEBE8.jpeg 976D087D-02E5-43EE-8CFA-EA9B8FC5A10B.jpeg 01AD2162-4669-492A-87F4-790444D1FFA8.jpeg B27E1BC4-78A2-49DD-A9EC-A6CB8C901A2F.jpeg D81E52E3-7632-4B11-B504-449C13F66114.jpeg 2268979A-057C-4B06-A41B-5A69F37EBBC6.jpeg 1276851F-EBBC-48E6-A229-E2CADA995266.jpeg DB39CB18-BF2D-4CF4-B1BF-FF335805F2A3.jpeg 78087CD4-E956-463C-A67E-26D67FDC9129.jpeg F7ACF5CB-E17D-4E91-8FC6-A78263A7B490.jpeg

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our house if officially salty! While its not either of the large tanks as of yet, its the small 25 gallon office tank I had in the previous house.

These inhabitants will make their way into a Nuvo 40 which will be my wifes tank. She LOVES pulsing xenia, GSP, and just about any other weed you can think of. My way to keep her happy and interested in the hobby is get her a small tank to stock with anything she wants (within reason for the tank size). We have our clowns from the old 93, a yellow corris wrasse (as seen in the photo), and 4 anemones currently making their way into the Nuvo.

Priorities have taken over the project for the house, we just had 730 feet of privacy fence installed on the property and have plans to remodel a bathroom shortly. The tanks keep getting bumped down the list of priorities. I know we need to resolve the flooring situation in the basement before any tanks of size can be brought down here. Additionally the structural engineer we brought in said the wall between our family room and the unfinished garage "fish room" is in deed structural. So we're going to need a header and some work down to allow for the wall to be opened up to bring the large fish tanks through and allow the plumbing and maintenance pass through.

As with any good build thread, the wait continues. Happy Reefing everyone.

3BA11453-AE17-4285-8BA7-F207FE00EDBB.jpeg

0EFF6691-13E5-4716-8733-080F7C886E22.jpeg

B6C13F36-C2B6-4021-A729-DDFD4B332A77.jpeg

C6B89231-DE85-4A04-AE57-36DC7EFD5BB2.jpeg

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The progression continues... Since my last update I've decided on what the household will include as far as tanks go for the foreseeable future. (approx. 2 years) For the time being we'll have roughly 400 gallons of tank space.

125 gallon FOWLR
80 gallon shallow reef
40 gallon shared sump
25 gallon coral QT
29 gallon fish QT
40 gallon Nuvo "Wife's tank"
75 gallon water change system

Not the monsters we plan to have eventually but a fair start. Right now the budget for the larger tanks has been diverted to a kitchen remodel. While on hold it will not stop progress for the build. This midstep build will allow me to figure out the intricacies of tying two tanks into one sump, balancing the nutrient load of a FOWLR and reef in one system, plumbing of two systems, and how much work is required for a complex system of this nature.

I'll post some photos this evening of the stand construction for the 125, and my aquascaping debate.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess life can throw you curveballs sometimes... I am glade to have chosen to scale back the tanks because I was just informed I’m going to be laid off.

guess the tank will finally get the attention (and completion) it deserves

1CFA5C60-C538-40E3-B99C-74F319836684.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back