• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

A brutally honest review of Sicce... I'm fed up.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be long and detailed. I apologize ahead of time.

On November 7, 2021, I decided to try out Sicce products on my daughter's Fluval Flex tank. I picked up a Syncra SDC 3.0 return pump and 2 XStream SDC Powerheads. The 5-year warranty stood out as a company that stands behind its products, built-in temperature sensors were a bonus, and they were controllable (because they are oversized for that tank, but I wanted them to grow with her) were what drew me to them. The price was steep for similar products, but a 5-year warranty is nearly unheard of, plenty of people rave about their products, and I couldn't be happier with my return pump, and I have since purchased a Syncra SDC 6.0 for my other tank (Though, I am regretting this decision because of the customer service I have received to this point).

Upon receiving my products on November 10th, I registered all 3 of them (the warranty is only 2 years, with registration, it becomes 5, or maybe it's 3 and 5, but either way, to get 5 years, you need to register). I also submitted a support ticket because both wavemakers were abnormally loud (they sounded like someone snoring loudly underwater). One of them was twice as loud as the other though. However, I registered on the Italian website, and they sent me an e-mail on 11/15 asking me to register again on the US website, which I promptly did, and filled out another support ticket on the US site. I also reached back out to the Italian site about 3 dayslater stating no one from the US site had gotten back to me about the noise issue.

On 11/15/2021 a support ticket was properly created, and I received an apology from the representative telling me that they were having issues with their ticketing system. The representative said that some noise will be heard, but that they should be the quietest in the system by far (they weren't) and asked if I could send some pictures of the pumps and he would let me know if anything stood out to him. I sent them that day.

On 11/26, I reached back out under that same ticket, telling them I had not heard anything. I received another apology on 11/29 about the ticket system and was asked to attach the photos again. Which I did, again. Then they asked me to send a video showcasing the noise, which I had to do as a youtube video to which I sent the link (the video was too large to send via text message/email/etc.) I received an e-mail on December 2nd telling me my ticket was about to be closed due to a lack of response. On December 9th, I went online to check the ticket's status and found it had been closed. I asked why it was closed and why it seemed so difficult to get support.

A little over a week later (Dec 17), "the boss" (Jay) e-mailed me directly and apologized again for the ticketing problems and explained that they were in the middle of revamping their ticketing system to serve their customers better and that he could not access my ticket, but he would love to help. So, frustratingly, I started over. I explained that at this point, it had been about a month since I initially reported the issue and that the pumps had somewhat quieted down, but now instead of someone snoring loudly underwater, they sounded like a cellphone in a hard plastic case on vibrate on a table. I also had discovered a new problem, the anti-sync would drift in and out of sync. He explained that sometimes the pumps need to "season", and that he would be happy to check on the Anti-Sync for me.

I went back and forth with Jay since December 19th of last year until May 11th of this year. I am no closer to a resolution. All I really ever got was "I'm still waiting to hear back from Italy", but try this. Also, since I know he's kind of a busy guy always traveling to the trade shows here in the US and whatnot, I only e-mailed him about once a month to check in, which shouldn't be my job, it should be his to reach out to me and let me know something is still being worked on, but he's the boss, so I know he's busier than most reps. I even reached out here on R2R forums, without divulging the name of the pump mfctr'r to see what others would do in my situation because I didn't want to be this guy. But I'm quite fed up... I know Jay is on these forums, and he may see this, but Sicce has completely lost me as a customer, all because of the extreme lack of customer service...

No amount of me reaching out pushed the needle further than when I first submitted the ticket. I have pretty much given up. In the last e-mail exchange we had, he said "I am not sure what else I can do to help you or what you would like to see in terms of an outcome.", and to be candid, that really made me mad. Obviously, if you can't figure out what's wrong with them, and there is indeed something wrong with them, and I am an unsatisfied customer, *you* should have a protocol on what to do next. Over the course of like 30+ e-mails (Some exchanges were back and forth over the course of a day or two), I explained, re-explained, and did everything you asked of me, even in my last e-mail, I re-explained that it's NOT an app issue, and that if we couple the original noise issue with this information, it *seems* like there's a mechanical drag causing one of the pumps to be slower than the other which pushes it into and out of phase. This indicates to me that the product needs to be replaced, why doesn't it indicate that to you?

Anyways, I think Sicce probably has great products, my one (possibly two) bad wavemakers are likely just factory defective, which happens, and I am totally understanding of that having worked in Technical Support and Warranty for nearly 30 years... It shouldn't be this hard to get a resolution, I shouldn't feel like I've climbed Mt. Everest and Defeated Muhammad Ali just to get a simple warranty processed...

So, if you ever have problems with your Sicce pumps, I hope your experience goes better than mine, as for me, as I need to replace things, I will be replacing them with a different brand...

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy the pumps from?
BRS, but I initially reached out asking if they were supposed to be loud out of the box, or if it might indicate something wrong with them. And after a month, I was told "loud out of the box is normal, they'll season" And by the time that was established, it was already outside of the return period with BRS for the anti-sync issue.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS, but I initially reached out asking if they were supposed to be loud out of the box, or if it might indicate something wrong with them. And after a month, I was told "loud out of the box is normal, they'll season" And by the time that was established, it was already outside of the return period with BRS for the anti-sync issue.

Reach out to BRS with a link to this thread and ask them to get involved since Sicce doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

Also, ask for Steve at Sicce and ask for a phone call from him. He has been outstanding for me and everyone else I know.

I've had 3 Sicce wifi pumps, 1 sicce powerhead, and 1 ac return pump that have all been amazing.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks to hear but it sounds like sicce just needs to warranty out the powerheads and hope it works for you. Frankly if you weren't happy, should of returned them to BRS in the return window.

Either way it's crummy all around. Sicce is one of the few brands I will buy anymore, but warranty claims for just about anything can be the suck. I have a 6 month Samsung tv warranty odyssey that will about floor you. End game was that I made the electric smoke come out the tv to finally get another one!

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks to hear but it sounds like sicce just needs to warranty out the powerheads and hope it works for you. Frankly if you weren't happy, should of returned them to BRS in the return window.

Either way it's crummy all around. Sicce is one of the few brands I will buy anymore, but warranty claims for just about anything can be the suck. I have a 6 month Samsung tv warranty odyssey that will about floor you. End game was that I made the electric smoke come out the tv to finally get another one!
So, I worked warranty at AT&T (Cell phone providers handle warranty for cellphone manufacturers) for quite some time, and our warranty was simple, usually only takes 1 maybe 2 phonecalls to get a warranty replacement. My experiences with Sony, MSI, ASUS, Corsair, PNY, VelocityMicro, ASRock, Seagate, and a number of other companies have all been smooth transactions... nothing super frustrating... I am really an easygoing dude when it comes to company policies and things like that... I have no problems doing what is requested of me and doing it promptly... It really shouldn't be this hard...

I agree I should have returned them in the return window to BRS, but what if this had begun outside of BRS's return anyways? This would still have been my experience, and this experience is terrible no matter which way you slice it... It's very telling of what the future could hold... you know?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eventually got sick of the vibration style noise from my sicce .5 and 1.0 syncra pumps I tried different positions and rubber underneath but the annoying sound always came back.

Jay Wilson- SICCE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be long and detailed. I apologize ahead of time.

On November 7, 2021, I decided to try out Sicce products on my daughter's Fluval Flex tank. I picked up a Syncra SDC 3.0 return pump and 2 XStream SDC Powerheads. The 5-year warranty stood out as a company that stands behind its products, built-in temperature sensors were a bonus, and they were controllable (because they are oversized for that tank, but I wanted them to grow with her) were what drew me to them. The price was steep for similar products, but a 5-year warranty is nearly unheard of, plenty of people rave about their products, and I couldn't be happier with my return pump, and I have since purchased a Syncra SDC 6.0 for my other tank (Though, I am regretting this decision because of the customer service I have received to this point).

Upon receiving my products on November 10th, I registered all 3 of them (the warranty is only 2 years, with registration, it becomes 5, or maybe it's 3 and 5, but either way, to get 5 years, you need to register). I also submitted a support ticket because both wavemakers were abnormally loud (they sounded like someone snoring loudly underwater). One of them was twice as loud as the other though. However, I registered on the Italian website, and they sent me an e-mail on 11/15 asking me to register again on the US website, which I promptly did, and filled out another support ticket on the US site. I also reached back out to the Italian site about 3 dayslater stating no one from the US site had gotten back to me about the noise issue.

On 11/15/2021 a support ticket was properly created, and I received an apology from the representative telling me that they were having issues with their ticketing system. The representative said that some noise will be heard, but that they should be the quietest in the system by far (they weren't) and asked if I could send some pictures of the pumps and he would let me know if anything stood out to him. I sent them that day.

On 11/26, I reached back out under that same ticket, telling them I had not heard anything. I received another apology on 11/29 about the ticket system and was asked to attach the photos again. Which I did, again. Then they asked me to send a video showcasing the noise, which I had to do as a youtube video to which I sent the link (the video was too large to send via text message/email/etc.) I received an e-mail on December 2nd telling me my ticket was about to be closed due to a lack of response. On December 9th, I went online to check the ticket's status and found it had been closed. I asked why it was closed and why it seemed so difficult to get support.

A little over a week later (Dec 17), "the boss" (Jay) e-mailed me directly and apologized again for the ticketing problems and explained that they were in the middle of revamping their ticketing system to serve their customers better and that he could not access my ticket, but he would love to help. So, frustratingly, I started over. I explained that at this point, it had been about a month since I initially reported the issue and that the pumps had somewhat quieted down, but now instead of someone snoring loudly underwater, they sounded like a cellphone in a hard plastic case on vibrate on a table. I also had discovered a new problem, the anti-sync would drift in and out of sync. He explained that sometimes the pumps need to "season", and that he would be happy to check on the Anti-Sync for me.

I went back and forth with Jay since December 19th of last year until May 11th of this year. I am no closer to a resolution. All I really ever got was "I'm still waiting to hear back from Italy", but try this. Also, since I know he's kind of a busy guy always traveling to the trade shows here in the US and whatnot, I only e-mailed him about once a month to check in, which shouldn't be my job, it should be his to reach out to me and let me know something is still being worked on, but he's the boss, so I know he's busier than most reps. I even reached out here on R2R forums, without divulging the name of the pump mfctr'r to see what others would do in my situation because I didn't want to be this guy. But I'm quite fed up... I know Jay is on these forums, and he may see this, but Sicce has completely lost me as a customer, all because of the extreme lack of customer service...

No amount of me reaching out pushed the needle further than when I first submitted the ticket. I have pretty much given up. In the last e-mail exchange we had, he said "I am not sure what else I can do to help you or what you would like to see in terms of an outcome.", and to be candid, that really made me mad. Obviously, if you can't figure out what's wrong with them, and there is indeed something wrong with them, and I am an unsatisfied customer, *you* should have a protocol on what to do next. Over the course of like 30+ e-mails (Some exchanges were back and forth over the course of a day or two), I explained, re-explained, and did everything you asked of me, even in my last e-mail, I re-explained that it's NOT an app issue, and that if we couple the original noise issue with this information, it *seems* like there's a mechanical drag causing one of the pumps to be slower than the other which pushes it into and out of phase. This indicates to me that the product needs to be replaced, why doesn't it indicate that to you?

Anyways, I think Sicce probably has great products, my one (possibly two) bad wavemakers are likely just factory defective, which happens, and I am totally understanding of that having worked in Technical Support and Warranty for nearly 30 years... It shouldn't be this hard to get a resolution, I shouldn't feel like I've climbed Mt. Everest and Defeated Muhammad Ali just to get a simple warranty processed...

So, if you ever have problems with your Sicce pumps, I hope your experience goes better than mine, as for me, as I need to replace things, I will be replacing them with a different brand...
Hey Jason,

Long time no chat. You are correct the last time we chatted via email was May 11th, 2022.

Looking back we had some great conversations regarding more than just pumps. I want to clarify that I am not the Boss and while I am busy taking care of The local Fish stores and trade shows I still make time for responding and providing information to customers.

I believe the original complaint was that the XStream SDC was loud but now they were both quiet and the last piece was the counter phase.

" However, now that they are both quiet, and I have taken them out to clean them a few times, I have no clue which one was the louder one. I have no idea how I will show you guys this behavior"

I did pass your information onto Italy to provide support and they did not find anything with software as passed on to you. I did ask for some screenshots but I do not see where they were sent ao we can finalize the settings for the counter phase etc. May 11th 2022 11:23am

You are correct we were changing our process of the ticket system and I do apologize for any frustration that may have caused with having to explain yourself over again. I know that can be frustrating.

I have emailed you my personal phone number you can give me a call or if you can respond with your phone number I will give you a call.

Looking forward to chatting with you.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I hate text-based communications, and Jay provided me with his number, I chose to call him and have a chat. Both controllers will be replaced to see if that fixes the issue.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have uploaded a video to youtube that showcases the issue. It's a 6-hour video, and during that time, you can watch the pumps drift in and out of sync a couple/few times. I start them off in counterphase (because that's how I want it) and go to sleep, but over the course of the night, despite the counterphase button remaining on, you can clearly see that one pumps timing is slightly off from the other so it never stays in lock-step, the problem is, that it takes so long to happen, that you can't just sit there and watch it, so I'd recommend going to about 20 different points in the video and pay close attention to the timing of the lights while doing so.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been 2+ years since I bought these pumps, and the issue has never been solved. I am updating this so that people can be aware of the problem that exists with them.

TLDR version: After plenty of back and forth, pump body replacements, controller replacements, etc, the point of failure seems to be communication between the pump controllers and Sicce's servers. The engineers got involved and couldn't figure out the problem, and no amount of firmware updates ever resolved it. I have since replaced these with the Cloud Gyre's from Maxspect.

Long version. These pumps rely on quartz timers in order to keep timing, but because of the variations in quartz timers, they also get time updates from Sicce's central servers; however, latency between the servers and the pump controllers, or one pump getting the timing information and the other not, causes them to lose synchronicity and anti-synchronicity. This problem could be solved by instead letting the controllers communicate with each other, one being a master and the other a slave; this way, only one is actually keeping time, but apparently, that's too difficult to sort out. Over the course of 8 hours, the pumps would start out of phase, drift into phase, and then drift back out of phase multiple times, which is not conducive to what I wanted, which was a standing wave in the tank. Keep in mind that this also affects things like tidal mode... Anything requiring timing to be accurate between 2 pumps will never work right unless they change up their strategy and either allow one controller to control 2 pumps (like the Maxpect Cloud Gyres) or allow the controllers to communicate on your local network without the need to communicate with Sicce's servers. There would even be times when one pump was operating on the overnight settings while the other was in the middle of the day setting... It's totally nonsensical.

If you want a pair (or more) of these pumps to keep time with one another for any reason, beware.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back