A bubble just showed up, in the silicone.

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of sitting up a RedSea Reefer S-850 G2.

I have heard and read stories about them popping the seams etc. But that was without the Euro Brace. The G2 has the brace, but... I was out of town last week and came back home and noticed...
Defect1.jpg
Defect2.jpg

Should I be worried?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn’t there before I would have some concern especially if the location is near a seam

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would maybe contact RS? Looks like your tank is newer, so would be WAY easier to swap stuff now then in a year.
Hello, MichaelReefer,

Yeah, it is only 1 month old. Has had water in it for about 10 days.

I am going to put a ticket in with RS and see what they say.

It was too funny, out of all the video and pictures I have taken of the tank and setup...only one video gets anywhere near showing that area...LOL

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eager to hear what they say about this. Personally, as long as it doesn't get any bigger, I'd be totally fine with this tank. One way to keep any eye on the size is to use a sharpie to carefully color over the bubble. If it increases in size you will be able to see it. Otherwise it's very hard to keep track of it increasing in size.

Fwiw, I had a similar bubble appear in the silicone of a new oceanic tank back in 2010. I kept it until 2017 with no issues and it did not get any bigger.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eager to hear what they say about this. Personally, as long as it doesn't get any bigger, I'd be totally fine with this tank. One way to keep any eye on the size is to use a sharpie to carefully color over the bubble. If it increases in size you will be able to see it. Otherwise it's very hard to keep track of it increasing in size.

Fwiw, I had a similar bubble appear in the silicone of a new oceanic tank back in 2010. I kept it until 2017 with no issues and it did not get any bigger.
That's good to hear about your tank.

Just put in the ticket, we'll see what they say in 24 hours...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, RedSea responded.

"The bubble in the silicone is a cosmetic blemish that does not effect the integrity of the aquarium."

Well, it's good to know that it doesn't effect the integrity of the aquarium. I have agreed to work with them to try and repair the "blemish". Because there isn't a RedSea dealer near my location they are going to send me the items to repair the aquarium and instructions.

We have agreed, that if it can't be repaired to "good as new" they will replace the aquarium.

I do still have lingering doubts, if this "blemish" showed up what is stopping other from showing up later and in a part that will effect the integrity of the aquarium.

I'll update on the repair ... when the repair kit arrives.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, RedSea responded.

"The bubble in the silicone is a cosmetic blemish that does not effect the integrity of the aquarium."

Well, it's good to know that it doesn't effect the integrity of the aquarium. I have agreed to work with them to try and repair the "blemish". Because there isn't a RedSea dealer near my location they are going to send me the items to repair the aquarium and instructions.

We have agreed, that if it can't be repaired to "good as new" they will replace the aquarium.

I do still have lingering doubts, if this "blemish" showed up what is stopping other from showing up later and in a part that will effect the integrity of the aquarium.

I'll update on the repair ... when the repair kit arrives.
I would be okay with this solution. I agree that this is likely a blemish, not a catastrophe. Looking forward to seeing what they send you, and seeing how the repair goes. Take some pictures!

Upvote 0
Back