A Calm Blue Ocean - IM Fusion Pro 50 Gallon AIO Lagoon

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had anything like that. Very minor bubbles during the first week or so and as I said it will rapidly fill with clear water and overflow if I don't shut it down when I change the filter floss. Could be the epoxy in your tank? I've seen people complain about skimmers going nuts with that stuff. Might have to just let it do it's thing until the chemicals clear out. Carbon in the filter chamber might help the process. That's crazy foam!
That's what I'm thinking. Just running filter floss in chambers 1 and 5. Have a carbon reactor ready and UV sterilizer also on the ready...well and my dosing pump on the ready but all off line lol. Gonna try the 4 month no light thing and have a 10g under the stand running for coral qt. I guess for now I'm just gonna let it do its thing....

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm thinking. Just running filter floss in chambers 1 and 5. Have a carbon reactor ready and UV sterilizer also on the ready...well and my dosing pump on the ready but all off line lol. Gonna try the 4 month no light thing and have a 10g under the stand running for coral qt. I guess for now I'm just gonna let it do its thing....
I agree with CBO, something in your system is making that happen. Adding some carbon would be a good idea to try and help clean that up.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ding ding. Bio-Spira a day ago! Forgot I added some to this tank after I did my lil guy. I'll wait a few more days before I fire it back up.

I think once your system settles down you'll be really happy with the skimmer. I don't think there's anything this powerful with such a small footprint.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just random stuff, but what the heck is going on with my pH today? No open windows, no new media, but we're headed for a new high record if this trend continues today. Weird!

ph.jpg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just random stuff, but what the heck is going on with my pH today? No open windows, no new media, but we're headed for a new high record if this trend continues today. Weird!

ph.jpg
When I added my CO2 scrubber my daily high and low went up by .3 each.
Maybe that scrubber is just now really kicking in for you?

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added my CO2 scrubber my daily high and low went up by .3 each.
Maybe that scrubber is just now really kicking in for you?

I'm usually hitting about 8.06 by the time lights start ramping down in the evening (8.1 according to my Hanna) but today I hit that mark around noon. Whatever's happening I hope I can keep doing it lol. The media was last changed a week ago. Looking at the color change it's probably got 3 or 4 days left in it. Since it got cold outside it's been ripping through it faster. I wonder how I sell my SO on an HRV/ERV? :cool:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ph.jpg
7.88 to 8.03 is not a huge swing IMO. Even if you reach 8.10 that's not crazy, depends of lots of things, feeding, etc.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm usually hitting about 8.06 by the time lights start ramping down in the evening (8.1 according to my Hanna) but today I hit that mark around noon. Whatever's happening I hope I can keep doing it lol. The media was last changed a week ago. Looking at the color change it's probably got 3 or 4 days left in it. Since it got cold outside it's been ripping through it faster. I wonder how I sell my SO on an HRV/ERV? :cool:
Can you tell which day I added the scrubber?
90C6AC53-084C-4BE1-92E9-783A63B80094.png

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

7.88 to 8.03 is not a huge swing IMO. Even if you reach 8.10 that's not crazy, depends of lots of things, feeding, etc.

Oh totally agreed, still mildly interesting since it's outside my usual. I'll be curious to see if the trend continues tomorrow if it was just a random fluctuation.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like another happy pH day.

Among other random observations, I might need to increase my AFR dose to 4ml to keep alk up.

Knock on wood, but the skimmer noise seems to be settling down, thank goodness! Of course now I'll go past the tank and it will be rattling and vibrating again. I'm still on the lookout for a replacement pump at least for backup but it's hard to find a quality skimmer pump that fits comfortably in that 4" long space.

For a final note on the day, if you place a coral on your blenny's house your blenny will bite it a lot. Silly blenny!

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday was a day for weird things.

Started with a monti RTN'ing on me. It had been struggling on and off for a while (I just can't seem to grow montis) but a few days ago I noticed an area seemed to have bleached. Then I saw the amphipods. They pretty much stripped it bare in a matter of days and yesterday morning it was flowing slime on one side. Out of the tank it went. RIP monti, it was fun while it lasted.

Next was my blenny. She was acting so weird yesterday morning and it had me worried. Hiding deep in her barnacle and randomly rolling around in it, popping her head out occasionally to make faces at the other fish. And the other fish were all seeming to go after her, darting at her randomly! what the heck. But wait...not darting at her...darting at eggs! Little white dots floating out of the barnacle opening. My darn blenny laid eggs?! No male in the tank so it sounds like this isn't typical, but everyone had a feeding frenzy and life seems to be back to normal today.

My green pocillopora in the nano. It's actually just the encrusted frag plug left from transplanting the majority of the structure to the 50 but it's completely covered right down to the frag rack and even wraps around to the bottom. Anyway, last night the darn thing popped out feeders/sweepers all on one side, this shocking mass of waving tentacles, probably about 1/4" or maybe even as much as 1/2". Never seen any of my pocilloporas do that. Back to normal this morning. Curious what prompted that.

My duncan in the nano was actually two separate colonies next to each other. One finally pushed the other off the rock and I decided to move that one to the 50. It definitely doesn't like the 50 as much as it liked the 10 and hasn't been opening fully. But with that going on I noticed that it has the craziest structure. It looks like the heads in the middle are all overcrowded and it's possibly having some self-inflicted issues. It doesn't look like most duncan skeletons I've seen with it being all jammed together. Possible side effect of growing it right up next to the other colony? Hopefully it works out it's problems.

Gosh, I hope that's all for weird things for now. Need to clean sponges off my probes today and need to have a look to see if there is any way to save my blasto, Treebeard. Sucks, I really liked that guy but he might be too far gone.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I can't have nice things. Just spotted an aiptasia in one of the back chambers. I don't have the slightest clue when I might have picked that one up. For all I know I've had aiptasia for over a year and the peppermints made it invisible. I'm sure he's not alone but I haven't spotted others yet. I think I'm going to go nuclear and drain the chamber to make sure it's truly obliterated.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's add digitate hydroids to the list of adventures for the week. Fun times! Yes, I remember, I was going to start a tank with dry rock so that I could avoid pests. HAHAHAHA!!!

Blenny bit the top off of one of my gorgonians. She hates that coral. Admittedly it's not the most attractive thing in the tank but I don't think it needed to be trimmed. Heck, I only think it's grown an inch since I put in in there last year lol. I put the branch on a frag plug and threw it in the nano. It needed a gorgonian.

The pocillopora frag plug is continuing to go crazy. I'm going to have to put it down on the sand or something to protect the neighbors.

poc.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back