OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in seeing this progress! You mentioned downloading the AB+ schedule to the Prime- did you change the intensity or left it as is?
I did not adjust any intensity, I just ran it as is. I read somewhere the AB+ schedule did not need to be adjusted even though ones like Saxby did due to depth.

But, I actually just picked up a Kessil AP9X since I want to try a SPS mix, and I didn't like the idea of running two AI primes and how that would look. o_O Overkill, but I actually prefer how the Kessil looks on my tank compared to the super duper blue AB+

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that time when I got my RODI unit and posted this thread:

Well, I found out why I kept having high TDS in my product line. And, I wish I had someone near me who had been familiar with RODI systems and tanks as a friend, because all of my troubles could've been avoided if they had taken just a glance at my system.

SOMEHOW, my Spectrapure Aquarium Starter RODI did not ship with a SilicaBuster DI cartridge. Instead, in that housing, it had shipped to me with a Granulated Activated Carbon Block Filter (CF-OCB-10) in there instead. And my lack of knowledge is what took me 2 months to figure this out. I finally realized it today while setting up my Smart Buddie booster pump (works great btw, highly recommend) when I was still having high TDS with adequate pressure. So I ripped the whole RODI system apart, took a good read at all the filter manuals and realized what happened.

Sent an email to Spectrapure to see what they had to say, maybe they will send me a replacement DI cartridge for my trouble. It worked out to my favor that I had ordered some replacement DI cartridges from the Marine Depot liquidation sale because I was able to resolve the issue, but o_O This entire thing could've been avoided if I had someone who knew what was going on.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m stil buying rodi / salt from a LFS , one day when I have my own rodi I’ll keep this in mind

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m stil buying rodi / salt from a LFS , one day when I have my own rodi I’ll keep this in mind
I think it's a great option if your LFS is a reliable one! I've read some shady things about people testing their LFS water (RODI or salt) and finding out some not so great things about it.

I ended up just setting up a RODI system because I had an unused shower I could hook it up to, and I wasn't about to carry 5-10 gallons of water up the stairs every week. :( Maybe a great workout for some, not a great way to spend time for others. I don't pay for water at this apartment anyways, so works out either way.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not adjust any intensity, I just ran it as is. I read somewhere the AB+ schedule did not need to be adjusted even though ones like Saxby did due to depth.

But, I actually just picked up a Kessil AP9X since I want to try a SPS mix, and I didn't like the idea of running two AI primes and how that would look. o_O Overkill, but I actually prefer how the Kessil looks on my tank compared to the super duper blue AB+
Ahh okay. I have a Hydra 26 HD and ran the AB+ and cooked a birdsnest. So I turned on acclimation mode- totally forgot I had that on, and realized months later, when the acclimation was done, that I was cooking more corals. I have been working on slowly lowering the intensity to more appropriate levels.

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay. I have a Hydra 26 HD and ran the AB+ and cooked a birdsnest. So I turned on acclimation mode- totally forgot I had that on, and realized months later, when the acclimation was done, that I was cooking more corals. I have been working on slowly lowering the intensity to more appropriate levels.
I wonder if it's because you have the Hydra 26? I was doing it on a AI prime over my tank.

But, even with the Kessil AP9X, the corals are acclimating well but so far it's only at 50% strength lol.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it's because you have the Hydra 26? I was doing it on a AI prime over my tank.

But, even with the Kessil AP9X, the corals are acclimating well but so far it's only at 50% strength lol.
Yeah, I'm sure that second puck contributed lol. But I wouldn't be surprised if one Prime on full blast AB+ is enough to over light corals.
Good luck with the Kessil!

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm sure that second puck contributed lol. But I wouldn't be surprised if one Prime on full blast AB+ is enough to over light corals.
Good luck with the Kessil!
I think my corals hated the Saxby when I tried it, so I def think it can blast corals in my tank lol. And yes, I hope this AP9X works out for me as well.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a great option if your LFS is a reliable one! I've read some shady things about people testing their LFS water (RODI or salt) and finding out some not so great things about it.

I ended up just setting up a RODI system because I had an unused shower I could hook it up to, and I wasn't about to carry 5-10 gallons of water up the stairs every week. :( Maybe a great workout for some, not a great way to spend time for others. I don't pay for water at this apartment anyways, so works out either way.
Ye I do feel like I’m gambling a bit when I buy water lol , any plans for yr next tank addition? I’m trying to convince myself I don’t need anything but I’m itching for frags

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye I do feel like I’m gambling a bit when I buy water lol , any plans for yr next tank addition? I’m trying to convince myself I don’t need anything but I’m itching for frags
I think biggest thing is getting some more coralline growth so I can get a couple acros and maybe either a colorado sunburst or a black widow nem?

Aside from that, I do want a pink frogspawn and a red goni. Just wondering which one to get first heh.

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small photo dump rq.

I successfully hooked up my Spectrapure to my AquaticLife Smart Buddie. Went from 40-50PSI to 80-85PSI. Works great, love it. I feel so proud of myself for finally getting this done, and it only took me 1 hour while I double checked the manuals for my RODI system and the booster system.

Tube colors coordinate with what originally was hooked up to my RODI system, not what is listed on the Smart Buddie label. It was just easier for me to remember what's what during the set up progress that way.

1DC69CEE-F6EA-4384-8ACA-DCCC5C835D3A.jpeg

My clowns, they grew quite a bit! I think they're almost 3 inches now compared to when I first got them! And they're getting that mocha color now. :)

13787860-0589-4483-8C82-B4B82D7ABF64.jpeg

My Midas blenny. When I got him he was more pink, but he's quite yellow now. He should be called a lemon peel blenny haha. He has a lot of personality and I actually really like him, very happy to have picked him up. He swims a lot and gets along great with my fish.

431414C9-42AA-48F5-881F-46511C1F8F6B.jpeg

The WWC Sunfire Monti Cap frag from REEFTIDE! It looks great, and I can't wait to see it grow out. I think they gave me a good frag too because it has a good amount of green and red.

50B12FA0-D35D-4693-B54F-166D2B503B98.jpeg

Possum wrasse having a good time now that the angelfish is no longer a problem. When I read about possum wrasses, a lot of people said they're really shy. This guy has been swimming out in the open a lot since day 2? He really only hides when the camera comes out.

Was hoping the Starry eyed wrasse would make it so I could have both, but better one than none. :) The possum wrasse is a very cute looking fish with its giant eyes.

5721D715-63E7-4F2D-A4DE-ED41E5A976BC.jpeg

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My possum is out and not really shy either. My pink streaked is wayyyy more timid. Great build!
I haven't seen any pink streaked. But, I don't think I'll even pick one up given that I have my possum wrasse now.

I may get a couple gobys and a pistol shrimp since I really like the look of the Yasha gobies.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any pink streaked. But, I don't think I'll even pick one up given that I have my possum wrasse now.

I may get a couple gobys and a pistol shrimp since I really like the look of the Yasha gobies.
You should snag that shrimp with Dracula goby pair on divers den right now :)

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should snag that shrimp with Dracula goby pair on divers den right now :)
I saw them too! They had a pair of dracula gobys yesterday too!

But, I think the Yasha are a bit flashier? Hehe

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a moment of insanity, I did order this CSB nem from POTO.

1626310304169.png

I emailed them trying to see if they can ship it out two weeks from now since I work so much between now and then.

Will keep you guys updated. Someone confiscate my paypal account thanks. I also just ordered a new wallet.

o_O

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think biggest thing is getting some more coralline growth so I can get a couple acros and maybe either a colorado sunburst or a black widow nem?

Aside from that, I do want a pink frogspawn and a red goni. Just wondering which one to get first heh.
CSB are super awesome! I have a bunch of rainbows but one day , I would go with pink frogspawn sounds beautful/ something you don’t see often, just saw post that you got a csb !! Jealous !!

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CSB are super awesome! I have a bunch of rainbows but one day , I would go with pink frogspawn sounds beautful/ something you don’t see often, just saw post that you got a csb !! Jealous !!
I've been wanting a nem + clown combo since I first saw one in a reef, but found out about CSBs and other high end color varieties around last December. Finally pulled the trigger (on a whim) for my fairly new tank, but I'm hoping I can get it to work out. o_O

Tank is cycled, but maintaining stability will be the biggest hurdle going forward for maintaining a nem successfully.

And the pink frogspawn will definitely have to wait now at least until September lol.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting a nem + clown combo since I first saw one in a reef, but found out about CSBs and other high end color varieties around last December. Finally pulled the trigger (on a whim) for my fairly new tank, but I'm hoping I can get it to work out. o_O

Tank is cycled, but maintaining stability will be the biggest hurdle going forward for maintaining a nem successfully.

And the pink frogspawn will definitely have to wait now at least until September lol.
Same here lol anemones are my fav, I have a slight addiction to them with over 10 currently , all rainbows. Yes stability will be needed just be sure to watch the parameters and have cipro on hand

Attachments

• 9BDCA99A-FC37-49E5-9B34-60BA29FBA1C4.jpeg
    9BDCA99A-FC37-49E5-9B34-60BA29FBA1C4.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 52

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back