A Clown's Reef, Waterbox AIO 35.2g

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your tank set up. Question, where did you get those set of cooling fans? I like how you have it hang on the flex arm of the light. thanks

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your tank set up. Question, where did you get those set of cooling fans? I like how you have it hang on the flex arm of the light. thanks
Hi! It's this one:

Someone else had one similar that I really liked. Haha

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No updates for a while.
Quitting my job and transferring to another hospital system.

Aside from that, I woke up this morning to see that my CSB got into a fight with the Nero 5. Nero 5 WON.
CSB is in a separate bucket running cipro.

Devastated, not holding onto any expectations in terms of recovery.
Thinking of throwing out all my Neros at this point since they've caused more grief than benefits at this point.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry, that is never good. Praying for a full recovery for the nem, they are very tough!

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry, that is never good. Praying for a full recovery for the nem, they are very tough!
might be futile tbh.
Now I have to worry about possible power outages and hurricane Ida while trying to dose cipro on this nem.
o_O

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to go to the apartment today to assess the damage.

Opened the apartment door and immediately got the strong wafting scent of boiled seafood.

The only thing that survived livestock wise were 1 clown (male), bangaii cardinal, yasha goby, randall shrimp, and conch.
Most of my euphyllia were alive but in questionable condition, and one of the heads of my hammer had bailed. Goni also in questionable condition. Rock flower nems were very ticked off.

Aside from that, most upsetting deaths were my yellow banded possum, fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, and CSB. The last one was actually starting to look like it was making a recovery before it got KO'd by the lack of electricity in conjugation with the rising heat. :((((

Local reefer (Knockout Corals), was kind enough to hold the living livestock for me until I get my electricity back. He's also willing to help me clean my liverock and help me reseed it with bacteria! He'll be getting a lot of my business going forward. He's such a stellar person.

I plan to rip out all the sand (didn't have enough time today when I went), use a new bag, and start over.

Electricity is estimated to not return for 6-8 weeks potentially right now, so expect very little updates until things get settled.

Husband was very crushed for me, and said he would help me replace some of the fish and corals. I think I'll just wait until hurricane season is over before I get anything else. This experience helped me realize I'm very under prepared, and there's a lot more adjustments I need to make to prevent stuff like this from happening again in the future even with an air bubbler.

:(

I totally understand why people leave the hobby after experiencing a tank wipeout.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry to hear that. I’m happy that your ok and still determined to reef! I wish for more positive news in your future. Not many people are prepared for hurricanes let alone a reef in one! Good luck on the future tank and will need to see updates

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'ma be real, 3.5 weeks since Hurricane Ida and I haven't had the energy to set my tank back up. I really just need to scrub it down and fill it back up, but I'm afraid we're going to get another and it'll all be for naught. :confused:

I also haven't had time to just clean my apartment afterwards, and everything is a mess. Hoping to get it back up by end of Oct. but I start a new job so we'll see how it goes between work and school.

I'm not the best at managing my time.

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took 2 months, but I finally did it.
Got the tank back up and running after being completely demoralized, plan to upload some photos.
Also considering if I should just start a brand new build thread.

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took 2 months, but I finally did it.
Got the tank back up and running after being completely demoralized, plan to upload some photos.
Also considering if I should just start a brand new build thread.
Glad to hear! Looking forward to your new build! What livestock are you planning to get?

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear! Looking forward to your new build! What livestock are you planning to get?
Luckily a local reefer has been holding the survivors, so I will get those back.

I don't think I'll do another pygmy wrasse even though they're cute because they're hard to source and fragile during shipping. I might try a mandarin though in a few months. :)

Probably won't get a blenny again even though they were fun. Maybe some kind of goby instead? I feel like right now a lot of my stocking options are severely limited due to size.

Also trying to decide if I want to ask for a hydros or GHL for xmas. :)

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back at it.
New scape from Art Reef rock. Takes out the pressure of me trying to make a good scape, but comes as modular pieces so I can either build it as the suggested photo or change it up a bit.

The left branch has smaller branches that come out the front and back to give it more dimension and growth space for coral.

My LFS had a tailspot blenny so I grabbed the last one to replace Banana my past Midas blenny. +3 trochus snails, +1 cleaner shrimp

Also picked up a black storm clown to pair with my mocha storm. The rest of the crew including my mocha will be picked up tomorrow along with a couple euphyllia that a local reefer was holding for me. :)

Attachments

• 8E2A06EF-1A92-4DE7-8A4A-5C9F6B64B649.jpeg
    8E2A06EF-1A92-4DE7-8A4A-5C9F6B64B649.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Mr. Clo seems partial to me getting a hydros for XMas?!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back at it.
New scape from Art Reef rock. Takes out the pressure of me trying to make a good scape, but comes as modular pieces so I can either build it as the suggested photo or change it up a bit.

The left branch has smaller branches that come out the front and back to give it more dimension and growth space for coral.

My LFS had a tailspot blenny so I grabbed the last one to replace Banana my past Midas blenny. +3 trochus snails, +1 cleaner shrimp

Also picked up a black storm clown to pair with my mocha storm. The rest of the crew including my mocha will be picked up tomorrow along with a couple euphyllia that a local reefer was holding for me. :)
Oh that’s a beautiful scape! Will look very nice with yr corals

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really excited with the scape. It leaves me a lot of room for coral growth and fish swimming :) I felt like my last scape had a lot of rock, so I'm excited to see how this one goes.

On another note, I picked up the last of my fish from the local acquaintance. And I feel like I lowkey got suckered. He didn't have my clown or my yasha goby anymore. Let me pick from one of his clowns, and gave me random red stripped goby. Apparently he hasn't seen my yasha or the pistol.

And the hammers I gave him are gone too. He said oh I may have accidentally taken it to a show and sold them. I was upset bc I had a lot of sentimental feelings towards my first fish and corals, esp the fish !!! The clown he was holding for me was originally an anniversary gift from my husband. :(

I think I learned an important lesson to just keep all my stuff and try to get the tank back up asap instead in the future instead of relying someone local to me to hold my lifestock during a natural disaster.

Anyways, I'll probably take the red striped goby to my lfs for credit since it's not a fish I want to keep and puts a bad taste in my mouth.

A slight blow on my return, but I'll make it.

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away from the tank for 3 days, everyone made it (I think)!
I saw all the fish except for the tailspot blenny, but I'm hoping I can spot him in the morning.

I think first thing tomorrow will be a water change. Maybe see if I can stop by the LFS for coral dip, pistol shrimp, and some other randoms I need.

I ordered 2 jars of copepods from AlgaeBarn because it's their BOGO deal right now. So I should be able to pod up soon for something new and fun into the tank!

I believe the Hydros will arrive Dec 2nd or something like that.

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure the tail spot blenny is around! I never tried a pistol shrimp but does it get a long with hermit crabs?

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure the tail spot blenny is around! I never tried a pistol shrimp but does it get a long with hermit crabs?
Yup! Blenny showed his face this morning. I'm not sure how pistol shrimp and hermits do. I've never had a hermit!

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped by my LFS today!

Was trying to see if they got any new fish and inverts. They had a bullseye and a tiger pistol shrimp, but no randall's by the look of it. When I was perusing the displays, I noticed some of the side displays had pistol shrimp and crayfish in them but weren't originally marked as having them by the employees. After looking carefully with my phone flashlight, I was able to find a randall's hiding under a rock and took him home with me. :)

It ended up being a nice little trip. No corals that I found to my liking. Might try and order online around New Years maybe? Might just go slower this iteration on filling it up so I can really enjoy the process.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back