A "color changing" background for your reef tank! What do you think?

Would you ever consider using a color changing background on your reef tank? (click for info)

• YES

Votes: 136 24.5%
  • NO

Votes: 280 50.5%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 133 24.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today's QOTD is inspired by the ReefStache CADE Reef Build and more specifically the update he posted yesterday about his LED lit frosted background here! I have personally seen these kits in action at a reef show and I was impressed by them and thought I might also like to try using one at some point in the future. That being said I would like to hear your thoughts on it today!

Would you ever consider using a color changing background on your reef tank?

image via @ReefStache
BA228B99-94DA-4C8B-B3FD-FF503C2BA90F.jpeg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Philips Hue light strip behind my tank. The back of the tank is not transparent so you can't see the light through the tank, but it does provide nice accent lighting on the wall to counteract the constant glare of blue from the aquarium lights.
1623162387274.png

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Philips Hue light strip behind my tank.

Same here and love the effect. The back glass is black and completely covered in coraline so it's just for the glow (edit: and alerts) . I'm not sure I'd justify the expense if I had to purchase a color changing strip but the PH was gathering dust. Worked out well.

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Philips Hue light strip behind my tank. The back of the tank is not transparent so you can't see the light through the tank, but it does provide nice accent lighting on the wall to counteract the constant glare of blue from the aquarium lights.
1623162387274.png
That is really beautiful!!

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red LEDs on the back of my tank, not for ambiance but more for visual alerting. So my tank/room changes color whenever something needs attention. :)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes but not just a led light.
I not sure what its called but can buy some box that attaches to back of tank with a light in but has some sort of siloutte so can have silouttes of corals or fish or even surface of the sea/ sun shining through etc

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look cool but do that many people keep the back wall of their tanks clean? My tank was painted blue on the back but after two and half years of coralline algae growth, you can't tell.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back