A "color changing" background for your reef tank! What do you think?

Would you ever consider using a color changing background on your reef tank? (click for info)

• YES

Votes: 135 24.4%
  • NO

Votes: 280 50.5%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 133 24.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.1%

• Total voters

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm not for me. I like as natural a look (or at least what I believe to be a natural look) as I can get..

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha like when i see a picture of someones sump and it looks like NASA put it together and then i see the tank and it looks like the equivelant of a homeless camp for corals.
Dirty Mike and the Boys!

angry will ferrell GIF

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i had visitors i used to show them my fish and corals, not 'hey look at my lights, look at my skimmer, look at all the equipment.
Why do people bother buying fish and corals, just buy a tank, fill it with water and then buy lots of fancy equipment, the saving on not buying fish and corals will be immense, just think how much more money you will have to spend on equipment to show people.
It's called personal preference, my friend. I worked my butt off to have what I needed to survive, now in retirement I'll enjoy the things I WANT. My money, my preference.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although I’m not a fan of random LED lighting, I can see how the blue LED could give the ocean effect. The height of the LED could be dropped so it doesn’t grab ones attention

I’m interested to see how it looks with rock and coral.

Nice out of the box thinking, I can appreciate that!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind sharing more as to why you believe it's ridiculous? I find peace of mind in having my LED strip glow bright red when something is amiss in my tank. I'm home a lot, don't live with my phone in my hands and generally prefer having the redundancy of alerts via phone notifications and visual. Color coding alerts is next on the smart tank list. Apex - Webcore - Smartthings - IFTTT - Tasker - Radion lighting... Love it all. Call me ridiculous if you wish, it all serves a purpose for me. Oh, I'm far from 5 years old.
Red, pink, or purple background on a reef tank looks cartoonish. A dark blue might be ok. If you want to use it for alerts, go for it. The video also showed a tank with no returns, overflow, or pumps. A black overflow box on a pink background? I use a black background so my pumps, overflow, and return blend in as much as possible. Funky colors would do just the opposite. BTW, I didn't call you ridiculous. To clarify, I said using weird colors for the background of a reef tank looks ridiculous.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called personal preference, my friend. I worked my butt off to have what I needed to survive, now in retirement I'll enjoy the things I WANT. My money, my preference.
Yeah personal preference, doesnt mean i have to like it, or are opinions that think its great the only ones that are allowed?
I have no idea what your working situation has to do with all this, anybody would think its your tank.
My friend.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My background is solid black, but I would consider this if there weren't a background on it yet. It could introduce a natural-looking sunrise/sunset effect. I think everyone is thinking it has to stay on custom PC/Rainbow puke mode rather than set it the color you want or go through a couple color transitions as part of a photoperiod.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red, pink, or purple background on a reef tank looks cartoonish. A dark blue might be ok. If you want to use it for alerts, go for it. The video also showed a tank with no returns, overflow, or pumps. A black overflow box on a pink background? I use a black background so my pumps, overflow, and return blend in as much as possible. Funky colors would do just the opposite. BTW, I didn't call you ridiculous. To clarify, I said using weird colors for the background of a reef tank looks ridiculous.
dark blue with the shimmering would look sweet

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, gotcha. I appreciate the clarification!

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please read the title of this thread again.

A "color changing" background for your reef tank! What do you think?​

I just put what i think so dont be upset just because some people dont think its 'cool'

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah personal preference, doesnt mean i have to like it, or are opinions that think its great the only ones that are allowed?
I have no idea what your working situation has to do with all this, anybody would think its your tank.

I just put what i think so dont be upset just because some people dont think its 'cool'
Yikes! Easy breezy. Don't get your water too choppy...

Who's upset here? Have a wonderful day, my friend.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Although the title of the thread from Rev says “color changing”, the guy in the video specified in this thread he’s going for a natural ocean look.

Panama Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever happened to just admiring the fish and corals?
Has the hobby really gone from keeping fish and corals to keeping fancy equipment?
I fear it has.
Gotta check out some of these European set ups.... Ive seen some crazy stuff turning equipment into decorations....

IMO I like the thought of the changeable background colors but also like my black background with spots of coraline and gsp growing like Wrigley Field lol... To each their own.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly Peninsula tanks here. Only background tank I have is in a downstairs basement. I painted the wall area behind it blue so it's color-changing if I want to spend $20 on wall paint.

Oooo!!! I should paint the wall reflective silver and use one of these...
41Jwgrj0haL._AC_.jpg

Back