A "color changing" background for your reef tank! What do you think?

Would you ever consider using a color changing background on your reef tank? (click for info)

• YES

Votes: 135 24.4%
  • NO

Votes: 280 50.5%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 133 24.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.1%

• Total voters

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The obvious consensus is that a color changing light is not ideal on a reef tank. I agree as well but I think the sunrise/sunset setting or having the light set to one color will offer a lot of exploring on what looks great or not. I think a lot of people are just focusing on the disco effect that this setup offers. lol

I’m going for a natural deep ocean look so we’ll see how it turns out. More updates to come.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted other. On my next tank I am planning to use a water ripple effect light with a clear backed aquarium, something like this.

But instead of going across the ceiling have it shine on the wall behind the tank. Maybe even make some light blocks to keep the light only visible through the tank. Might give it a look of greater distance.

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Voted other. On my next tank I am planning to use a water ripple effect light with a clear backed aquarium, something like this.

But instead of going across the ceiling have it shine on the wall behind the tank. Maybe even make some light blocks to keep the light only visible through the tank. Might give it a look of greater distance.

Very cool!

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my ideal background would be a wall covered in coral. Not GSP, LPS. You can get some textured colorful favites and such.
I think it would be really cool.
Never done it, but if any of you have, please post pictures.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted maybe but on second thought, I would vote no. It's too difficult to keep the back of the tank clean in most situation. I like the backlit tank on page 1. That's pretty cool IMO.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am absolutely doing it! At some point I am going to get this 10'x3' LED light panel mounted into the frame of the sliding shadowbox on the back of my build. The carrying crate of the panel has been my work platform for too long. Hopefully in the next month or two, that should end.

The front of the shadowbox will be frosted with 40 mm of 'depth' to create the artificial FOV.

ACtC-3cTlC_fNvpXI-qpvtArX9UvqNBp7kx9vrEXCJUNMIRnNm6p4RQM53SO712uSWUV2YzDNb1iNmNUQwWkm9_1qws3seZ-lyV6S4opRYxU8vzka5d5wC-XOhOA_mrXT7L3a4Wo40_iHWNr6TcohvrERNJj=w1275-h957-no

Dennis

bwp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to leave my back glass clear on a new build which will allow me to experiment with different background (from sheet of black plastic to something like this), but my tank will be accessible from the back. I don’t understand how you keep the back glass clean in a tank against the wall like this.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative! The only good light is blue light. Other light can cause algae. Plus, it detracts from the actual tank inhabitants. I'm into function vs bling. Let the fish and coral do the talking.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no, anything color changing is cheezy looking. I won’t buy outside lights that color change also. Everyone has their own opinions.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The obvious consensus is that a color changing light is not ideal on a reef tank. I agree as well but I think the sunrise/sunset setting or having the light set to one color will offer a lot of exploring on what looks great or not. I think a lot of people are just focusing on the disco effect that this setup offers. lol

I’m going for a natural deep ocean look so we’ll see how it turns out. More updates to come.
I can't wait to see what you can do with it. Even if it turns out it's not something I would like, I can appreciate the thought, time, and love for reefing that goes into trying to achieve a specific look for your tank.

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a great concept with a lot of applications. I use a similar approach to my pod cultivations. except I use it on the bottom. It helps for different species and chores, to be able to change the light intensity and spectrum. I think it would also come in handy for breeders as well.

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am absolutely doing it! At some point I am going to get this 10'x3' LED light panel mounted into the frame of the sliding shadowbox on the back of my build. The carrying crate of the panel has been my work platform for too long. Hopefully in the next month or two, that should end.

The front of the shadowbox will be frosted with 40 mm of 'depth' to create the artificial FOV.

ACtC-3cTlC_fNvpXI-qpvtArX9UvqNBp7kx9vrEXCJUNMIRnNm6p4RQM53SO712uSWUV2YzDNb1iNmNUQwWkm9_1qws3seZ-lyV6S4opRYxU8vzka5d5wC-XOhOA_mrXT7L3a4Wo40_iHWNr6TcohvrERNJj=w1275-h957-no

Dennis

Wow! That’s slick! Nice work.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just like those lighting or storm effects, absolutely not a fan for me. Most people will have the back wall painted or covered up mostly with rocks or corals anyway. It bothers me because it looks so artificial. And don’t get me started with those fake corals decors

Radreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other. I’d love to see it fully stocked with the lighting and all. I’m curious to see if it would still look good under actinic lighting

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • None.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back