A Conversation With Fish Behavioural Scientist, Dr. Culum Brown

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out "What Plants Talk About"
There's another good book called "Mycelium Running" that I think you'd find of interest.

Here's the first one:

Very interesting... I seem to recall some of this fro high school biology class...

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article.

Makes you wonder if chromis(s) {is there a plural?} But digress. Would you still see the sociopathic tendencies if they were simply given an ssri [emoji23]

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I filmed 6 fish for 1200 hours with the goal of making a documentary about them.

The process would involve getting 1 fish in the tank, film for a week, get another, film forma week and so on.

I didn't notice a fatal flaw in this concept: in the first chapter I would have just 1 fish in a tank and I would have to write a narration. I couldn't, it wasn't working.

Then, out of desperation, I looked at the fish and I asked "What do you want to say?".

I had been looking both at the fish and the footage for so many hours that when I began writing the narration from the fish's perspective, it was like I was taking dictation.

Here's the trailer for the whole series:

Here's the first chapter (you have to enable subtitles):

That fish was alone, of course it was depressed and I could see that.

There's a problem when trying to make people be more empathic towards the suffering of others: our empathy level is dependent on such random stuff as size, facial expression ability or voice. It's not a rational response for the most part.

If someone asks me what would I like to achieve with these films, it's to make people realise that we're not that different.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ardeus

Neolamprologus multifasciatus -
my number 1 fish for ever. We spawn that species back in 1982 I think. Love at first sight. I learned - personality does not come with size.

In relation to its size - the best excavator ever found on this earth. I had a couple in my big 720 l Tanganyika aquarium. Together with large Ophthalmotilapia nasuta, Tropheus spp and Petrochromis trewavasae. That couple owned this aquarium. No one was allowed to come near their seashells and their fry.

When I saw your name - I react and thought I recognize the name - have you worked together with Ad Konings?

By the way - wonderful movie

Sincerely Lasse

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my number 1 fish too.

Before going to the lake to film them, someone tried to put me in contact with Ad, but I think he thought I was a serious film maker with a large crew and he sent an email with advise that I could not follow. I went there by myself and although I came back with a couple of health problems for life, it was worth it.

The only reason I don't have multifasciatus now is that they breed like rabits and there's no known method (that I can bear watching) to control their population. I keep waiting for someone to invent a anticonceptional pill for fish.

Have you watched the last chapter of the 2nd series?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a lot of neo, alto and lamprologus species - my specialty when I had cichlids from Lake Tanganyika. I even spawn Altolamprologus species back in the 80:ties - and guess what - it spawn in shells. The "dwarf" was the female !. There was another - rather alike lepidiolamprologus attenatus but with a shorter nose. I had three of these - Neolamprologus pleuromaculatus - around 8 - 10 cm - in an aquarium with lot of rocks for more than a year - no sign of spawn. A friend of mine got a small shell dweller that looks like a dwarf N. pleuromaculatus. For a year - no spawn. We put them together - it was the male and female!

Sometimes I miss these years

Sincerely Lasse

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
when you approach your tank with food and you hear the fish producing clicking sounds, you cant tell me fish don't talk.
Same applies when my Apex AFS goes off 4X per day- The fish know the sound and race to the feeding opening.

Back