A couple new issues. Bad pic inside.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sorry for poor imagery . Here in the blue is what I believe to be a s ton of aptasia I a cave in the rock I noticed today while water changing due to spiked levels, I can’t find them elsewhere, after work tomorrow full sweep and if no others this rock comes out. I am uncertain of the green circle , long brown stringy, tiny bubbles along it. Others around tank only where there is algae, and on zoas. After a few hours lights out I cannot find them. Dino?
F9112F6F-A527-4902-896A-C1BE5B7014C2.jpeg

Only recent addition is snails, outside of some coral weeks ago that was dipped. Also believe I’ve been over feeding out of nervousness with a Niger now in the tank.

4 months old

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like aptasia and some cyanobacteria, both will spread unless you cut back on the feeding and start some sort of solution to remove both. With the trigger your options will be limited to what method you choose for the aptasia.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like aptasia and some cyanobacteria, both will spread unless you cut back on the feeding and start some sort of solution to remove both. With the trigger your options will be limited to what method you choose for the aptasia.
Pretty sure it’s only on that one rock in the little cave hole. Removing that rock if so when home from work.
Your trigger comment directed towards peppermint shrimp?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it’s only on that one rock in the little cave hole. Removing that rock if so when home from work.
Your trigger comment directed towards peppermint shrimp?
Yes.. As far as aptasia goes, you likely have smaller ones elsewhere. They are like Cancer, you beat them back and they come back stronger. They are relentless little buggers that never give up. I am searching everywhere for how they could possible migrate to a tank that has never had corals and only has fake rock and an eel in it??:confused:
Do they somehow come from live sand or frozen foods???????;Wideyed;Wideyed;Wideyed;Wideyed;Wideyed;Wideyed

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes.. As far as aptasia goes, you likely have smaller ones elsewhere. They are like Cancer, you beat them back and they come back stronger. They are relentless little buggers that never give up. I am searching everywhere for how they could possible migrate to a tank that has never had corals and only has fake rock and an eel in it??:confused:
Do they somehow come from live sand or frozen foods???????;Wideyed;Wideyed;Wideyed;Wideyed;Wideyed;Wideyed
Frozen food NO, sand is a possibility and a frag, rock, plant life- YES

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4A1DF2EA-E819-4073-B01D-63808303B91E.jpeg A759027C-2F54-44D4-8220-A755854C4965.jpeg CD83553F-68CC-458F-864B-68F140F438C0.jpeg Update. Plymouth Rock for aptasia has been removed from the continent. They were all in a cave like hole in the rock in a very good flow area (right where wavemaker bounces it off opposite wall). I can’t find anymore elsewhere. Yet. Here’s to hoping. My Dino scare turns out to be Diatom with air bubbles trapped in it. Phew.
Currently adhering a new rock structure to fill the void. Dog not happy with lack of attention.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been relentlessly killing them but I find a new one somewhere about every 2 weeks. I found another today.
That I can deal with. I hope. Maybe a peppermint shrimp. This rock.. I counted 30+ heads in the cave structure.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia-X for the ones you can see. Peppermints for the ones you cant. If they are in the sump with macro algae you can use berghia nudibranch. I have found in the tank some fish will eat the berghia nudibranch. These are the easy solutions. They might not get them all. Should keep them under control as long as you are not overfeeding your tank.
Do not try to scrape them off the rock. The little pieces will turn into new ones.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia-X for the ones you can see. Peppermints for the ones you cant. If they are in the sump with macro algae you can use berghia nudibranch. I have found in the tank some fish will eat the berghia nudibranch. These are the easy solutions. They might not get them all. Should keep them under control as long as you are not overfeeding your tank.
Do not try to scrape them off the rock. The little pieces will turn into new ones.
No sump on this guy but thanks for the advice! LFS didn’t have any peppermints today :/

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up. How many peppermint shrimp for a 30G? Understand they are scavengers and also eat uneaten food ? Any risk with cleaner and pistol also in tank? Thanks!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 or 3 would work. You could always sell them back to your local LFS when they or you are done. The cleaner shrimp is no prob. The pistol will prob kill them.
I never see my peppermints but I know they are there. I see an aptasia and a few days later its gone.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Don’t mind if trigger eats em. Just like I don’t mind hermits killing snails. And trigger killing whatever. It’s part of that “natural system”. And they are easy to replace. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back