A couple Newb questions from an experienced reefer

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I got a couple of newb questions that I’ve just been thinking about but I’ve never had true experience with.

Just how aggressive are yellow tailed damsels? I like the color and I’m thinking of adding small school to my 65 but if they’re too aggressive, I don’t want to bother and will find something else.

Apex Probes…or any probes for that matter…exactly how much water do they need to be in? I have mine fully submerged. But it seems for most, only the tip needs to be submerged (no jokes needed on this one lol). Am I wrong about the tip part or fully submerged the way to go?

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak to the sensor bit but the piece which is measuring the water is all that needs to be submerged for an accurate reading. Usually that’s just the tip the way the probes are oriented but doesn’t have to be. For something like the apex temp or pH probe just the end 1/4” or so would need to be submerged. That’s how mine are.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the response. I may need to get a probe holder then to get things more organized

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some damsels in the Chrysiptera family are generally on the more peaceful side of the spectrum. You seem to like the blue/yellow combo, so the Azure or Starks Damsel fit that description (my Azure is bordering on timid). Talbots and Springers are usually relatively chill, too. Any of these are more apt to be more aggressive with their own kind than with most other tank inhabitants.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex probes are not fully submerged. I’d say that probably less than 1/4 of the probe is submerged with no issues.
I don’t know on the damsels as I’ve always avoided them, but I am considering getting a few of the azure damsels for a new tank so definitely curious in what others responses are.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! The azures are definitely pretty. On the pricier side for a damsel but still pretty

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back