A couple of newb questions!

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my rocks today to start cycling in a bucket while I wait for my tank!

So a couple of quick questions as I get started -

1) Should you wash a powerhead before first use? It's brand new, to be used for circulation around the rocks while I cycle them. Would you set it up out the box or rinse in tap water first?

2) For water changes and topping off evap, do you just pour the water into the aquarium? I know to match parameters as closely as possible! With my freshwater shrimp I use a drip line to do their evap topoff because they're sensitive to a change in GH/TDS, so will I need to do the same or is it such a small amount of topoff water that it's fine to just pour in near a pump, eg?

I always find no matter how much you research, it's the little tiny details that throw you off!

Thanks!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my rocks today to start cycling in a bucket while I wait for my tank!

So a couple of quick questions as I get started -

1) Should you wash a powerhead before first use? It's brand new, to be used for circulation around the rocks while I cycle them. Would you set it up out the box or rinse in tap water first?

2) For water changes and topping off evap, do you just pour the water into the aquarium? I know to match parameters as closely as possible! With my freshwater shrimp I use a drip line to do their evap topoff because they're sensitive to a change in GH/TDS, so will I need to do the same or is it such a small amount of topoff water that it's fine to just pour in near a pump, eg?

I always find no matter how much you research, it's the little tiny details that throw you off!

Thanks!
Welcome to R2R and good luck with your tank!

I’d wash the power head off in warm water just to try and release any oils, dirt, etc that may be on the surface. That said, I tend to wash everything before it goes in the tank. Normally I’d do a final rinse in fresh saltwater or RODI. But that doesn’t seem necessary here.

Water changes and top off are different. For water changes I tend to do 10-15% each week of fresh saltwater. But that’s a whole debate by itself. For top off, since you’re replacing the water that’s evaporated and the salt is left behind, you just need to refill with RODI. Leave a mark on your tank or sump where you want your water level and then use this as a reference when you’re topping off.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rinse of the new pump should be sufficient.
Top off better in the sump if you have one, farthest away from the return pump.
Sump should have a high & low water level mark.

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!

I am most likely getting an IM 14 peninsula so I guess I'd add my topoff water to the back filtration area then! When you say "far away", I should be adding it to the first compartment where water from the tank enters? Since this is the furthest from the return pump in the third compartment back to the display area?
What is the reason to add water far away? Is it a risk of bubbles entering the pump from water entering?

Would you add water change water to that compartment also?

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my IM 20, I had the sensor for the 3152 in the middle section, tight fit. I would not run the line directly into the tank, the pump area in the sump area, away form the float switch. The media basket area would work also...

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Farther away give the water more time to "mix" before being pumped up as almost fresh water.

That makes sense, thank you! My thought was putting it near the pump meant it would get moved out and mixed as fast as possible, but I guess it's better for it to mix in the filter zone before it reaches the animals :D
Maybe I'm still thinking in freshwater mode where I have to protect my precious bacteria in the filter ... now they will be out in the rock!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back