OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they the only 2 clowns in the tank at the LFS?

If so, and if they were together for a little while, they certainly may have, and if so, the female(larger one) may just be annoyed by the cramped conditions.

But, to be safe, when you add them to your tank, you might put the larger one in an acclimation box for a few days and let the smaller one free to roam the tank. This *could* help with aggression since when you release the larger one, it will be the "newcomer".
Yeah they were the only two in the tank at the fish store so I figured they were at least a bit used to each other.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they were the only two in the tank at the fish store so I figured they were at least a bit used to each other.
Can you ask the store how long they had them together?

I'm pretty sure they will be fine regardless. While there's always a chance we could bring home a psychopathic fish, I expect that once they are on the tank, things will be ok. But keep an eye on them and be prepared to separate them if needed.

Reeftanktraveler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish have to define the pecking order. My clownfish have been together and spawning for over a decade and they still fight sometimes. As long as it is not lasting an extended period, it should be fine. All fish will set a pecking order when going into a new tank.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% is way too much at this stage. Start with UV, violet and both blues at 10%. Keep others at 0% or maybe just a few % of cool white if you must.

Then increase the UV, violet and blues by 2% every fortnight until you get a feel for how your system is responding.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% is way too much at this stage. Start with UV, violet and both blues at 10%. Keep others at 0% or maybe just a few % of cool white if you must.

Then increase the UV, violet and blues by 2% every fortnight until you get a feel for how your system is responding.
Ok I’ll start with 10% tomorrow and gradually increase.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to have just not liked being in the small container I was using for acclimation. Not fighting now that they’re in the tank.

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to have just not liked being in the small container I was using for acclimation. Not fighting now that they’re in the tank.
I have two clown fish as well. First two I put in the tank and growing fast especially the female. She can be a little ***** lol...nips at my hand when I do need to reach in.. but they get along well.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I add CUC as prevention or wait until there is something to take care of? I fed about a dime sized piece of rods food to the clowns but that was clearly too much for them lol

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re feeding the tank so it would be worth getting a few nassarius snails to clean up the scraps. I’d get only a few algae eating snails at this stage and ramp it up as needed. A mix of different types is always a good option.

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re feeding the tank so it would be worth getting a few nassarius snails to clean up the scraps. I’d get only a few algae eating snails at this stage and ramp it up as needed. A mix of different types is always a good option.
In a couple of months get a lawnmower blenny . He will keep it very clean. Turbo snails as well

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown pair got super aggressive when they started getting ready to breed. Killed a lawn mower blenny and a firefish and had the yellow watchman goby on the ropes when I removed the clowns and returned them to the LFS. I partially blame the cube shape of my old tank. I think it stacks the fish on top of each other too much. But I have no desire to own anymore clownfish.

Back