A couple things over the next week or two and cycle help....

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vermetids- im plagued but can't beat them. dry rock systems start free of them, but then the frags we add turn it all into what we tried to avoid originally

if there's one live rock hiker I wish I could beat its vermitids but I just live with them. i have a brain coral that overgrows them, and then has little spikes jutting up under the flesh.

Last edited:

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a much higher likelihood of long-term success, get some live rock. As previously mentioned, 100% is not necessary, but would be most desirable if affordable. If you do get live rock, I hope you don't kill it by not putting it in a tank with a regular light source. It does not need to be cycled: it will cycle your tank.

If you don't use any live rock, then you can join me in the "I wish I would've used some live rock" club. Club member's tanks take much longer to mature, have more algae problems, and are unable to support SPS coral until many months have passed.

My first tank, in 2004, was all live rock. It was amazing as a mixed reef in the first year and I knew nothing. My current tank, started beginning of last year with all dry rock, has progressed so much more slowly and has much less life in it.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with all dry rock in March then about a week ago I got some KP Aquatics rock that is currently curing. I chose to get that rock because I don’t feel my tank has the various bacteria’s I feel I need to grow corals. A side effect is the KP rock looks so much better too. Downside is some of the undesirables that can come with it.

If I was starting over I would have went 50/50 live and dry.

also I’m new at salt water so I am going off what I have read on biodiversity here.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a much higher likelihood of long-term success, get some live rock. As previously mentioned, 100% is not necessary, but would be most desirable if affordable. If you do get live rock, I hope you don't kill it by not putting it in a tank with a regular light source. It does not need to be cycled: it will cycle your tank.

If you don't use any live rock, then you can join me in the "I wish I would've used some live rock" club. Club member's tanks take much longer to mature, have more algae problems, and are unable to support SPS coral until many months have passed.

My first tank, in 2004, was all live rock. It was amazing as a mixed reef in the first year and I knew nothing. My current tank, started beginning of last year with all dry rock, has progressed so much more slowly and has much less life in it.
I have added several small pieces. Dipped them all. Even added some ceramic disks with coralline from LFS. It will grow. One lady even scraped a bunch of Coralline of back glass with a razor (fairy dust) from a frag tank. lol

my tank has only been up 5 weeks.....

OP
OP
B

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with all dry rock in March then about a week ago I got some KP Aquatics rock that is currently curing. I chose to get that rock because I don’t feel my tank has the various bacteria’s I feel I need to grow corals. A side effect is the KP rock looks so much better too. Downside is some of the undesirables that can come with it.

also I’m new at salt water so I am going off what I have read on biodiversity here.

Did you pay the insane in water overnight shipping of $199 per 15 lbs? Or are you able to pick it up where you live?

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what do you mean by curing? usually curing is by acid or blech which makes it no longer live

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean by curing? usually curing is by acid or blech which makes it no longer live

I am going by the KP Aquatics definition. After day one my Ammonia was maxed out on the Red Sea kit. I am doing 30%-50% water changes and still have readable ammonia.

Curing vs. Cycling:
The term curing and cycling can be confusing. Curing live rock means that there will be die off of during the shipping process and that needs to be monitored. The ammonia should never go to high and you can counter it with water changes. Cycling is basically the same process but that is what will happen in your tank. Ammonia will rise and should keep at low levels until it is being converted to nitrite and nitrate

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7654ACDD-D5A9-4CC0-9799-A1CAC6CE7B46.jpeg
D25DD78D-FD63-4C94-B3D6-FE0239614EA9.jpeg
94A5D9C4-B877-4B5F-911B-0048D8ECCABA.jpeg

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question. They have starter live rock and then their other premium live rock. Is your order the starter rock? Looks to be the right pricing for it.

i got aquacultured live rock. After the trip it has lost some color, some of the macro is still there. I understand they clean it up a little before shipping.
E79AD618-7E70-4643-A498-1778BF6B7A64.png

OP
OP
B

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got aquacultured live rock. After the trip it has lost some color, some of the macro is still there. I understand they clean it up a little before shipping.

So y

Let me know how your cycling process goes / is going. I'm going to place my order today. Are you doing the critter bath they mention in their instructions? 1 minute dips in the higher salinity water to encourage unwanted hitchhikers to vacate?

OP
OP
B

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Ordered 30lbs of KP Aquatics Premium Live Rock (Did the IN-WATER shipping method) considering ordering another 15lbs maybe tonight to get it to 45lbs which would be right at 55-60% of the rock the new tank will have.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So y

Let me know how your cycling process goes / is going. I'm going to place my order today. Are you doing the critter bath they mention in their instructions? 1 minute dips in the higher salinity water to encourage unwanted hitchhikers to vacate?

I am not doing the bath, I was going to see what pops out hence the clear tub. That said, I suggest having something with more water volume and a better rinse before curing. I am about to do another 100% water change. I am still hovering around 1.2 ammonia on the red sea kit.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Ordered 30lbs of KP Aquatics Premium Live Rock (Did the IN-WATER shipping method) considering ordering another 15lbs maybe tonight to get it to 45lbs which would be right at 55-60% of the rock the new tank will have.

Awesome, I think you made a good choice.

Back