A Crab With Schizophrenia? - Hilo Decorator Crab or Schizophroida hilensis

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Name Schizoproida
Why is this crab seemingly based on the mental disorder schizophrenia? I don't know much about schizophrenia, but it may have to do with the crab's habit of ripping off pieces of seaweed and sponges for decorations. They seem to have a compulsion to decorate themselves because without their decoration they feel unsafe. In fact, after molting you will easily observe that they will decorate themselves again. I do have a feeling whoever named this genus was not a psychiatrist or a psychologist. This particular species has a name hilensis most likely due to it being first described in Hilo, Hawaii. Despite this name, they have been later found to occur throughout the Western Pacific. Many species are often described this way.
IMG_2549.jpg
IMG_2547.jpg

Scientific Background
These crabs belong in the family Majidae. This family includes many species of crabs that are considered to be decorator crabs, but it also includes non-decorators such asthe hobby's favorite Emerald crab (Mithraculus sculptus). There are a huge variety of decorator crabs that are essentially unheard of in the hobby, certain species like the Halimeda Decorator crab (Huenia heraldica) that look like a piece of Halimeda seaweed.

Behavior
For the most part, it is very stationary and doesn't move very often. They are often found under rocks and around seaweed.It often has it's long arms tucked in and its claw is so tiny as to being practically harmless. It doesn't seem to fight with others of its kind or with any other inhabitant. It seems to highly prefer decorating itself with seaweed, I do not own any sponges so I do not know if it would decorate itself with it. I have not seen it ever attempt decorating itself with corals, not even soft corals. I would classify this species as reef safe. However, I would not keep it with species of fish that are known seaweed grazers, as it might nip this crab incessantly in order to eat the macroalgae that it wears. After molting they will redecorate themselves. I am aware that some species of decorator crabs will reuse their decoration, but I have not yet observed this species doing so. This molt fell off a rock, so perhaps that is why it still has algae stuck to it. When observing decorator crabs decorate, you will often see it take a couple bites out of the decoration before placing it on top of their furry shell. They also seem nocturnal, being more active at night.
IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

Diet
Included here is a picture of it snacking on a piece of Chaetomorpha sp. It actually later tossed the piece of seaweed after taking this picture - I guess it doesn't think it is very tasty. They seem to eat algae - complex and simple. Does not seem to have desires to eat corals.
IMG_2546.jpg

Disclaimer
I have only kept this crab for a couple weeks, I will update the post as I observe more. Use my behavior information as more of an opinion than a fact if you happen to have this particular species of crab.

References
https://www.marinelifephotography.com/marine/arthropods/crabs/schizophroida-hilensis.htm
http://www.hawaiisfishes.com/inverts/true_crabs/neatcrabs.htm
http://species-identification.org/s...pan&menuentry=soorten&id=961&tab=beschrijving

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back