Did a little reshape during the water change today. Also drilled some hols in some of the rocks for better coral frag placement as the power heads kept knocking the frags into the sand. I've also been battling high nitrates. On my red sea nitrate test it turns strait purple. I've done 3 32gallon water changes over the last 5 days and I've barely fed the tank since I started. Only have the 2 clowns, 4 green chromis 2 turbo snails and the sand sifting star. In the pic I took 1ml of tank water and mixed in 16ml of rodi water. I've also been dosing 10ml of reef biofuel. Ammonia and nitrites are both 0. I do have some chaeto but I think my light is killing it. I ended up moving it to the side of the sump and moved the cheato to the other side. On the old setup I had the same light sitting on the top of the sump and would pull bucket fulls of chaeto out each week.
Found my hanna phosphorus ulr checker. And the results are not so good. 178ppb or .54ppm. Added some phosguard to help lower the phosphate. And ordered a hanna nitrate hr checker that should get here on Thursday. I'm already out of salt so gonna have to order some more and do another 30gal water change
Not sure if one of the phosphate tester were messed up or if the phosguard is just that good but po4 dropped to 67ppb or .20ppm. Only have one more reagent left. Will test again tomorrow. Have some more that will be here at the end of the week
It was a bad test. Tested it again today and po4 was at 174ppb. Going to try and pick up another bucket of salt after work and do another water change. A saltwater mixing station is starting to look like a good idea.
The seneye reef monitor came in. The display lights were already off when I got home. Tested the refugium. A good solid 50 par covering the entire spectrum. Plugged in the old fug light and got 275 with 450-700nm wave length. The cheato was turning white and dying. So I put a 36" led light that I had for an old fish tank a few days ago. It's already starting to look better.
Hanna nitrate HR checker and phosphorus ulr reagents came in today. Nitrates are definitely over 75ppm. Not sure by how much. Have 30 gallons of fresh sw mixing. Need to get some bigger containers in case I have to keep doing these large changes
Did another 30gal water change. Got nitrates to 36.8ppm and the phosphate to .08. Started working on a mixing station. It's going into a spare room on the main floor. Will have about a 30ft horizontal run so I can use pretty much any pump. Looking at the danner 24 mag drive with a smart outlet so I can turn it on/off from my phone.