A different kind of 75g build.

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided I wanted to reseal and put my 75gal tank back up. It had a 55 gal sump in a homemade stand. When it was running before I always had issues working on the skimmer or forgetting to shut it off when I turning it off when I shut the return pump off causing all of the skim to overflow back into the sump. So I took an old 20 gal to set next to the stand that the main overflow will drain into that will have dual 4" filter socks then the skimmer. Then it will drain into the 55gal where the other equipment and refugium are. The 75 has an eshopps S overflow box that is rated for 600 gph and my return pump is a Jebao DCQ10k. Hoping I can use a 3/4" drain to get around 600gph and not use a valve. Not sure what kind of drain to use from the 20 to the 55.

And suggestions before I get much further?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be too late but I would give it a buff and maybe coat everything with some spray on Plastidip to protect the wood, and it'll make the PVC look cleaner. The system looks beefy. Lots going on, looks complicated and that's actually more my preferred kind of tank. Unconventionally designed with lots of additions, upgrades and improvements to benefit the livestock the tank will house.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still in my garage mocking everything up. The front and top of the stand for the 75g was stained and a few coats of polyurethane applied. Once I get the plumbing together it will be getting some black paint to clean it up. Thinking about doing a durso style drain in both drains. Should I put ball valves on both drains?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still in my garage mocking everything up. The front and top of the stand for the 75g was stained and a few coats of polyurethane applied. Once I get the plumbing together it will be getting some black paint to clean it up. Thinking about doing a durso style drain in both drains. Should I put ball valves on both drains?
I would get ball valves just to reduce the chance of flooding if the gravity flow is too much but I would also be looking for the most drainage I could get for the same reason incase something is blocked and the return starts filling the tank faster than it can drain. Setting up the Durso style drain is a really good idea, in the future when you're looking at the tank you'll be glad you did when you listen to it.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just the 90* on the drain it was completely silent. Had the water level about 1/2" below the emergency drain. May need to pick up a second bulkhead while I'm at it to make an emergency drain in the 20g. Wish I could drain from the bottom but the 75gal would need to be about 6" higher.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not too noisy with the 90°, I would have a good think about it but I would probably leave it just to make it a little simpler with less pieces because I'm lazy and really it could be done anytime. But people would tell me to just get it right the first time and never worry again. I think I would stick to my guns though just because doing work down the line is really apart of the hobby anyway and it would help keep me motivated and interested in my system.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got alittle more work done. Usps lost my 1" bulkheads for a few days. Have some caribsea special grade sand and a bucket of salt that should be here on Thursday. Will hopefully have it inside and set up on Friday. Have a 15g fluval flex with 2 clowns and a hermit that I will be moving to the 75. Along with 2 medium rocks and a few cups of the substrate to kick off the cycle in the 75.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Most of the plumbing is done minus the gate valve for the 20gal to 55gal sump and I want to add a shutoff valve to the left side return to divert all return to the right side if I want to. Going into town tomorrow to pick up the remaining pieces and some paint to finish painting the stand.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to check on my tank this morning and couldn't find one of the clowns. Eventually found him in the filter sock and he isn't doing so well. Swimming in circles and upside down. The jabeo wave maker turns off at night and the return from the sump is only approximately 300-350 gph so it's not a huge amount of flow at night. Also tested the parameters
Salinity- 1.022
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrate- 2ppm
Phosphate 0ppm
Anything I can do to help the fish from slipping into the overflow? It's an eshopps eclipse S

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to plan for the canopy. Thinking about using 1x8 pine for the sides and front. 1x6 on the top and leave a 6" opening in the middle for the black box leds. And get a t5 retrofit to attach under the canopy on either side of the leds. Thinking coral plus in the front and blue in the back

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First shipment came in. 8 random zoa pack, 2 random lps pak, jedi mind trick, darth maul, alien brain, orange crush and a few others. As well as a 2" sand sifting star

How wide is the 48" retrofit t5? Is it 48" total with encaps and everything? Need to know if I need to add a bit to the canopy. Have all the 1x8 to make it

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.1%
Back