a "dirty" 12 gallon aquapod

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many years of freshwater fish-keeping, I was recently inspired to start a saltwater tank. I picked up a used 12 gallon aquapod on craigslist. I came with a pretty ratty stand that I refurbished (it's still pretty bad).

Current specs:
Lighting: stock fluorescent white and blue
Pump: 210 gph inline pump that I rigged to work as a return pump
Heater: 50 W Hitauing heater
Substrate: 10 lb Arag-Alive special grade (I think)
Filtration: one, huge large pore sponge
Water: Fritz RPM Blue Box mixed in tap

My water has mixed to,

Sg: 1.024-1.0245 w/ a hydrometer calibrated to 60 deg F, this should be about 1.026 at 78 deg F
pH: 8.0
kH: 8.6-8.9
Ca: 400
Mg: 1290-1320

Not bad!

The tank looks really bare right now but at least it has water which is an improvement over the last 2 months where it sat completely empty.

The next step is to get an ICP to see if there are any metals and to calibrate my test kits (especially the hydrometer), and to add some bio-filtration media. I ordered 10lbs of KP Aquatics live rock which I'm super stoked about. It should ship next week. I just need to make sure the water is good before it arrives.

After that I plan on swapping the blue sponge for a little fuge. Because of the strange overflow design in the aquapod, I don't plan on running any mechanical filtration on this tank. Of course, if I start having problems with nutrients, I might have to change that.

I think I will also upgrade the lighting sometime soon. I don't particularly like the look of the hood anyway. I was thinking a 30 or 50 watt amazon light. This Nicrew 30 watt is particularly appealing. I'll probably just be keeping softies and easy LPS as this is my first reef tank so I shouldn't need really intense PAR.

There's a really nice looking Duncan at my LFS for $15. Although I should start with a softie, I might have to get it.

IMG-1094.jpg

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you cycled the tank yet or are you waiting for the rock?
I'm waiting for the rock. I'm actually not totally clear on this part. I'm used to cycling tanks from scratch for freshwater, but I guess with live rock it's near insta-cycled? Should I add any ammonia at all? I do have some Dr. Tim's laying around.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting for the rock. I'm actually not totally clear on this part. I'm used to cycling tanks from scratch for freshwater, but I guess with live rock it's near insta-cycled? Should I add any ammonia at all? I do have some Dr. Tim's laying around.
With live rock and some bacteria you should be able to insta-cycle your tank, but I'd still wait a few weeks before adding any corals.

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With live rock and some bacteria you should be able to insta-cycle your tank, but I'd still wait a few weeks before adding any corals.
Sounds good! I'll probably start with some inverts after I figure out what's on the rock.

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped off my ICP test today, they said I should have results today or tomorrow. Still haven't heard anything about the live rock from KP aquatics. I tried to change my order from starter rock to premium, but I'm not sure they're going to respond in time. Unfortunately, I didn't properly read how the two live rocks were different until I had already placed the order.

I also re-tested my tank so I have a more direct comparison with the ICP.

Sg: 1.0245 (same as before, w/ calibration at 60 deg F)
kH: 8.3-8.6 (down slightly)
Ca: 390-400 (down slightly)
Mg: 1410-1440 (up a lot!)
pH: 8.0-8.15 (same, up slightly)

I am surprised by the Mg measurement. I ran the test twice to be sure. Hopefully it isn't right and the ICP will show that! This is freshly mixed salt water. If it is correct, I'll have to make a change, either to the salt or the water. We'll see what the ICP comes in as!

Rico's Reefnecks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool setup! I wouldn't read too much into the Mg differences. A variance of 100 off home kits between salt batches is not much IMO. There's a nice BRS investigates video on this - they had 5 different people in their shop run different kits on the same sample, and the absolute most consistent kit had a range of 90 between users, on the same water. 1400 shouldn't be toxic to anything anyway. Log a few more tests in the coming weeks and you'll get a sense for the variance you can expect.

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock came in! I ended up going with the starter rock from KP aquatics because they didn't have anything small enough in the premium stuff.

I saw two live crabs, a baby pistol shrimp(??), and a brittle star. I'm so stoked, the rock looks great! I'm very happy with the purchase. I picked out two dead crabs, one of which was quite pretty. It's a shame it didn't make it.

Should I keep the light on or turn it off to let everything settle in? Will the stock light be OK for the coralline algae?

What do you think of the aquascape? I was trying to make a little cove, but it ended up being kinda hard with the rock I got. I wanted to avoid stacking the rock as much as possible as I feel like that looks quite artificial unless done properly.

Attachments

• IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some less cloudy photos. The rock looks really good. Two of the pieces look amazing.

I need to catch and ID the two crabs and the brittle star. I plan on keeping the pistol shrimp if it can make it. I have at least 3 spaghetti worms and a bunch of feather dusters too.

I'm going to get some phytoplankton to feed the filter feeders for the time being. I really want to keep these guys alive. I might have bivalve too, but it's probably dead.

Next step is to finish the filtration (get biomedia and make the mini fuge) and upgrade the lights. Once I start seeing algae I'll get some clean up crew.

Attachments

• IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 41

trsmith18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great, and you might want to add more rock. This would allow for extra filtration, cave aqua scape and real estate for potential corals and fish hangouts

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great, and you might want to add more rock. This would allow for extra filtration, cave aqua scape and real estate for potential corals and fish hangouts
Thanks! I wanted to keep the aquascape kinda open so I was planning on about 1 lb per gallon. I plan on putting some corals on the sand.

However, I might get some marco or shelf rock to put under teepee of rock on the right to elevate it a little more. I might add something under the back of the rock on the right too. I don't think I'll be adding that much rock though.

rock looks really good! especially for the cheaper stuff
I know, I've very satisfied with the rock.

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went out and got some clean up crew and my first corals.

I got two trochus, two ceriths, and a nassarius snail in addition to a single scarlet hermit crab. I got a bunch of shells for the hermit too.

I got a small two headed frag of neon green candy cane coral ($20), and a single ricordea mushroom ($30).

I dipped both corals in DipX for 15 mins. I acclimated the clean up crew, but I didn't acclimate the corals. The corals came with the chitons that I managed to save an introduce on their own.

I thought I had some super glue at home, but I really can't find it now. I do have some gorilla glue, but it doesn't cure the same in water (it expands into a sponge-y ball, really useless for attaching corals). I think I'll need to get some super glue to attach the corals properly.

I stuck the frag plug that the Caulastrea is on into the rock work (not super secure), and I tried to attach the ricordea with super glue but I failed pretty hard. It floated around the tank a bit before finally settling on the sandbed by a snail shell. Maybe it will attach to the shell.

Since last time I've gotten the Inkbird heater controller, a fuge light, and scraps of chaeto (my lfs was completely out). I seeded the tank with some amphipods a while ago.

One of the LFS near my is not doing to hot. I might be able to get some deals on Euphyllia corals there. I'll have to check it out.

My three main concerns right now are crabs, flow, and lighting. I'm still on stock lighting (T5s) and a 210 gph return pump. I was going to see how the corals do in this before upgrading. What are signs of the flow being too low or the lighting not being enough? In addition, I managed to catch and dispose of a few gorilla crabs, but I'm worried that there might be more. I saw a tiny little molt that looks like it was a gorilla crab. I've been trying to trap them with a tupperware container, but I've failed so far. I think I'll have to come up with a better trap.

What other corals should I look into getting? I was thinking a leathers, micromussa, blastomussa, euphyllia, duncans, more rhodactis and ricordea mushrooms, and/or zoas would work. The palytoxin with the zoas gives me pause. I often have scraps on my hands (rock climbing), and I've heard it can be easier to get palytoxin poisoning if you have open wounds.

Still no fish, but I've got my eyes peeled for a tailspot blenny. Should I get a barnacle if I get a tailspot?

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo update!

No fish still, just snails and a scarlet hermit.

Still running stock lights and just a return pump. I'll make changes when the livestock tell me changes are needed.

Three corals total, a single poly duncan that I added yesterday, a two-head neon green candy cane, and a ricordea mushroom. I'm having a hard time getting the ricordea to attach to anything so it's in a little cup with some rubble. Hopefully it'll attach soon.

I love the live rock so much. It's extremely interesting. I'm honestly not that stoked on getting coral because I don't want it to cover the rock too much. I definitely will be avoid aggressive encrusting corals if I can.

I'd like to get some more LPS such as micromussa, blastomussa, euphylia, fox coral, etc., and I want to get some branching corals once the tank is completely dialed in (might be a while). I was thinking birdsnest or maybe hydnophora. I really like how those two look. I may get more softies, there's always gonna be room for Ricordea or Rhodactis mushrooms. I am going to avoid Zoas, GSP, and other fast-growing rock-covering corals because I just like the live rock too much. I might get a leather if I find something I like.

I know a lot of people run with the blue heavy spectrum, but this rock just looks so much better with some white in there.

DSC_0303.JPG

DSC_0304.JPG
DSC_0280.JPG
DSC_0290.JPG
DSC_0294.JPG
DSC_0282.JPG
DSC_0293.JPG
DSC_0299.JPG
DSC_0284.JPG
DSC_0298.JPG

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
Photo update!

No fish still, just snails and a scarlet hermit.

Still running stock lights and just a return pump. I'll make changes when the livestock tell me changes are needed.

Three corals total, a single poly duncan that I added yesterday, a two-head neon green candy cane, and a ricordea mushroom. I'm having a hard time getting the ricordea to attach to anything so it's in a little cup with some rubble. Hopefully it'll attach soon.

I love the live rock so much. It's extremely interesting. I'm honestly not that stoked on getting coral because I don't want it to cover the rock too much. I definitely will be avoid aggressive encrusting corals if I can.

I'd like to get some more LPS such as micromussa, blastomussa, euphylia, fox coral, etc., and I want to get some branching corals once the tank is completely dialed in (might be a while). I was thinking birdsnest or maybe hydnophora. I really like how those two look. I may get more softies, there's always gonna be room for Ricordea or Rhodactis mushrooms. I am going to avoid Zoas, GSP, and other fast-growing rock-covering corals because I just like the live rock too much. I might get a leather if I find something I like.

I know a lot of people run with the blue heavy spectrum, but this rock just looks so much better with some white in there.

DSC_0303.JPG

DSC_0304.JPG
DSC_0280.JPG
DSC_0290.JPG
DSC_0294.JPG
DSC_0282.JPG
DSC_0293.JPG
DSC_0299.JPG
DSC_0284.JPG
DSC_0298.JPG
That looks like some nice live rock! I share the opinion on live rock beauty! I have some culturing in a 90g tank in my basement right now. When I add it to my tank when I reach that stage, I hope a lot of the coralline algae and encrusting sponge (as well as many of the diverse life forms) survive and I won't want much of it covered with coral, either!

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Live rock came in! I ended up going with the starter rock from KP aquatics because they didn't have anything small enough in the premium stuff.

I saw two live crabs, a baby pistol shrimp(??), and a brittle star. I'm so stoked, the rock looks great! I'm very happy with the purchase. I picked out two dead crabs, one of which was quite pretty. It's a shame it didn't make it.

Should I keep the light on or turn it off to let everything settle in? Will the stock light be OK for the coralline algae?

What do you think of the aquascape? I was trying to make a little cove, but it ended up being kinda hard with the rock I got. I wanted to avoid stacking the rock as much as possible as I feel like that looks quite artificial unless done properly.
I love your rock and how you have it set up. I have a 12gal nano too.

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a real small torch at my LFS for $10.
DSC_0316.JPG

Still no fish! I'm looking to get some kind of goby ASAP. I need something in the tank generating Nitrate and Phosphate ASAP.

The Caulastrea is looking good, great poly extension and feeding response.

Retracted
DSC_0311.JPG

Extended
DSC_0306.JPG

Feeding
DSC_0308.JPG

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update.

I got a LED light (Nicrew A30 with dual channel controller), and a wavemaker (Jebao SOW3). I found the wavemaker to be way too strong even on the lowest setting. I'll post some videos in another thread. Anyway, I don't think I'll be using it and I think I'll just stick to the return pump, which actually does a pretty decent job anyway.

I got two fish, a yellow coral goby and a tailspot blenny. In addition, I bought two new corals from someone who was tearing down their tank, a Lobophyllia, and a micromussa/acan lord. I think I'll add another fish (probably a Koumansetta goby) and a peppermint shrimp.

I recently found that I still have a gorilla crab in the tank! No sign of the crab except for a new molt. I really hope I can get him before he gets any of the livestock. Unfortunately, I've never seen it once. I'm hoping I can trap it ASAP. I need to look at the tank more after dark too.

In addition, I found a single Aiptasia. It could be the gulf variety or it could not. I have not been quarantining/dipping. I'm not too worried about it. I'll start worrying when I have 5-6 Aiptasia. In the mean time, I'm going to get a single peppermint shrimp. I would be nice to have a more active invert in the tank anyway.

I have bubble algae as well (green and red types). It hasn't been bad, and I just remove it whenever I see it or feel like it. I might get an emerald crab at some point in the future.

The corals have been great. The Duncan has begun sprouting 3 new heads. No problems with algae. I don't use RO so I have ever-present diatoms on the substrate, but it;s minimal and I don't mind how it looks. Besides, its food for the cerith snails.

The rock is phenomenal. Without a doubt the best purchase I've made for this tank or any tank.

Photo dump:
2022-06-29 14.26.09.jpg

2022-06-29 14.22.52.jpg

2022-06-29 14.21.50.jpg

2022-06-29 14.22.21.jpg

2022-06-29 14.22.35.jpg

2022-06-29 14.22.43.jpg

2022-06-29 14.22.02.jpg

2022-06-29 14.23.56.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back