A few pics taken with phone camera.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading a post made a couple weeks ago about how to utilize the "pro" settings on cell phone camera, I decided to play around with it a bit today.

These were all taken with my Samsung Galaxy S10+ using "pro" settings. I am sure it captured the exact setting for each shot, but not sure how to integrate them.

These have also all been touched up a bit in post editing. I think they came out pretty good for a cell phone...

20220322_160527.jpg
20220322_160542.jpg
20220322_160542-2.jpg

This Goni is a bit blurry... sorry
20220322_160659.jpg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
After reading a post made a couple weeks ago about how to utilize the "pro" settings on cell phone camera, I decided to play around with it a bit today.

These were all taken with my Samsung Galaxy S10+ using "pro" settings. I am sure it captured the exact setting for each shot, but not sure how to integrate them.

These have also all been touched up a bit in post editing. I think they came out pretty good for a cell phone...

20220322_160527.jpg
20220322_160542.jpg
20220322_160542-2.jpg

This Goni is a bit blurry... sorry
20220322_160659.jpg
Killin' it!! Keep it going!!
The more you do, the more you learn!

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had seen that post a month ago.. I bet any one of those pics would have been suitable for the POTM contest... oh well...

Here is a pic I took a lil while ago with my DSLR...

IMG_0527.jpg

Took this to enter in in this months contest, but I am not satisfied with it for a contest entry. Still a decent shot though.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I learn about what makes a quality photo, the more I realize just how bad my earlier pictures really are.

For example, here is a before and after shot I took a while back. First is unedited, second is cleaned up in post process.. Third, is a further post edit cleanup. I think 3 is the best... Opinions?

IMG_0101 (2).JPG
IMG_0101 (2).jpg
IMG_0101 (2)-2.jpg

EvaWalsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I learn about what makes a quality photo, the more I realize just how bad my earlier pictures really are.

For example, here is a before and after shot I took a while back. First is unedited, second is cleaned up in post process.. Third, is a further post edit cleanup. I think 3 is the best... Opinions?

IMG_0101 (2).JPG
IMG_0101 (2).jpg
IMG_0101 (2)-2.jpg
Looks awesome

EvaWalsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had seen that post a month ago.. I bet any one of those pics would have been suitable for the POTM contest... oh well...

Here is a pic I took a lil while ago with my DSLR...

IMG_0527.jpg

Took this to enter in in this months contest, but I am not satisfied with it for a contest entry. Still a decent shot though.
Beautiful

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome

Thank you. This is an older photo. I don't recall if I took it with my phone or my camera. I do know that it was a simple point and shoot picture taken with whatever basic functions were used on the device I took it with.

Not a whole lot to work with in post editing. A little touch up is the best I could do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have learned in the last few weeks is this...

You do NOT need the latest and greatest DLSR or Mirrorless camera to take quality pictures of your tank and its inhabitants.

Pretty much any cell phone made within the last 5 years should have the ability to take photos just as good as any camera. You need to play with your settings. If at all possible, set it to save images in RAW format. This allows you the most flexibility in post editing.

I found today a setting that allows a voice command for shutter release. Almost as good as the remote shutter release I have on my DSLR. Simply say "shoot" and it snaps the shot. No worry of camera shake while touching the shutter button on the screen.

Another thing I have learned.. Post editing is where its at!! No matter how good your original shot is, post editing can make it better! The ability to dial back the exposure, or highlight certain colors.. adjust the white balance (pretty much every photo needs this).

If you are serious about showing off your tank, invest in a decent post edit software. Take the time to learn all of the settings you have on your camera, and work with your post-edit to make the image on your screen look like what you see in your tank.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice photos. I can never get any good shots with my phone especially on moving fish!

Moving fish are probably the most difficult subjects to get clear images of in this hobby.

I wish I had the knowledge to tell you "Just do this, that and the other" but unfortunately, I just don't. I have been lucky to capture a few good shots, but that was just blind luck, nothing I did specifically.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing I wish to add here... The images represented above, are taken with either my phone, or my DSLR using the simple basic lens that came with the camera.

As you can see plain, there is no real "need" to invest in any other expensive hardware to take a decent photo. What you NEED is to take the time to learn how to take pictures with what you have.

That fancy lens, is intended for advanced level photographers. Kinda like reefing.. the best equipment does not mean the best tank. If you don't know why you have it, why did you buy it?

I have been reading on this subject for months and it STILL reads like Tax Law to me. I could buy the most expensive lens available, and STILL take garbage pics. APO, ISO, blah blah... I have no idea yet how it all combines. What to set my camera at just from viewing the subject. It's a good thing I don't do this for a living or I would starve!!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0101 (2).JPG
IMG_0101 (2).jpg
IMG_0101 (2)-2.jpg
I like 3 the best. The colors look deeper or maybe richer is the right word. Great looking clown.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new guys that I just moved over from my quarantine tank I took this with my phone, not the best. Will definitely need to practice more and maybe try my dslr

The biggest issue I see time and again with reef photography, is white balance. Your photo is extremely blue. Most of us have that issue as we use blue lights on our tanks.

Your phone should be able to deal with that. I have an Android phone so that is what I have some knowledge about. If you have an Iphone, there is a tutorial posted here for that.

EvaWalsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue I see time and again with reef photography, is white balance. Your photo is extremely blue. Most of us have that issue as we use blue lights on our tanks.

Your phone should be able to deal with that. I have an Android phone so that is what I have some knowledge about. If you have an Iphone, there is a tutorial posted here for that.
Yeah, blues aren't great and rather annoying. I've got an android so will definitely have to see how to tweak it xx

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jedi1199 - You're definitely on the right track. Using the More/Pro/WB settings, I end up sliding all the way to the 10000K end to accurately reflect what's in my reef. I place the phone up flat against the glass to eliminate water distortions, then focus on the subject (tap it with your finger) and snap away.
Keep on taking pics and sharing!
Cheers,
Ray :cool:

EvaWalsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jedi1199 - You're definitely on the right track. Using the More/Pro/WB settings, I end up sliding all the way to the 10000K end to accurately reflect what's in my reef. I place the phone up flat against the glass to eliminate water distortions, then focus on the subject (tap it with your finger) and snap away.
Cheers,
Thank you...Will give that a go later

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers,
Ray,

I tend to stay somewhere in the 8500 range for WB on my phone. I adjust the shutter speed and ISO till I see something that looks good, then take the shot. I also use the zoom to get up-close and personal with the subject. The RFA's I posted in the first couple shots were on about 1.75 zoom.

Once I have a few shots, I go into Lightroom and start the post processing to get things "just so". It is not an exact science, and I continually see flaws in my photos. Like anything else, practice makes perfect right?

Thank God we live in the digital age!! We can snap away without the worry that $7 roll of film that will cost $30 to develop will yield 30 pages of trash you wouldn't line a birdcage with.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back