OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea on the check valve. Heck, I might incorporate that since I have a similar issue with my tank and Sea Swirls.
Let me know how that works out for you.

Fowler freak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it's about time I share my reef with you Reef2Reefers. :smile:

I have a 400g Starphire tank set up with a 60g anemone cube to its right. The 400g is a reboot. I started it up in Feb 2011 and a year later it leaked. It took 18 months to get it replaced, and now I'm going again. These pictures were taken on the 2 month anniversary of moving the livestock into their new homes.

The 400g is 84 x 36 x 30 with an external overflow box. The 60g cube is 24 x 24 x 24 with an internal overflow box. Both are plumbed into a common sump.

fts-010614.jpg

lps-zone.jpg

reefshot-vertical.jpg

spock-turning.jpg

red-planet-0110.jpg

staghorn-newest-growth.jpg

melanurus-wrasse.jpg

middle-reflection.jpg

eot-no-flow.jpg

blastos-0110.jpg

60g-rbta-tentacles.jpg

60g-topdown.jpg

Ehhhhh I’ve seen better:-/

Holy crapballs sick butt tank and I could gaze into that for years and be happy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very nice system ! This is the tank size I want. I am searching for similar

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It's 84" x 36" x 30".

That comment on your last stream about how you have never had a tank crash is pretty crazy. You haven’t had any power outages or equipment failures?

Also the stream about saltwater corrosion scared the crap out of me lol. I’m worried I’m going to destroy my AC and now figuring out how to prevent it [emoji28]

Also - are you still only safety stopping? I remember you had said you were just safety stopping with no QT follow up for a couple of years. Did you just SS the tangs and angelfish?

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I can watch your stream this week live. Going to try but not sure if it will work out. I will at least watch it some time I love watching your videos. I have learnt a lot watching them I finally found the one on the Hanna checker. I was the one that message you about them about a week ago. Thank you for sharing and letting us into your home and knowledge. keep up the great work.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if the glowing green stick on the left end of the tank is Jan's tort or Anacropora. Do you remember?

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That comment on your last stream about how you have never had a tank crash is pretty crazy. You haven’t had any power outages or equipment failures?

Also the stream about saltwater corrosion scared the crap out of me lol. I’m worried I’m going to destroy my AC and now figuring out how to prevent it [emoji28]

Also - are you still only safety stopping? I remember you had said you were just safety stopping with no QT follow up for a couple of years. Did you just SS the tangs and angelfish?
I've had power outages, but I run battery backups on key pumps, and I have a generator. I've had to keep my tank alive during one event that lasted 37 hours... fortunately it wasn't like those stories out of Florida last year where they were without power for 8 days straight!

Wear and tear on our homes is normal, and we do have to clean / repair things over time. It's more a nuisance than something to be scared about. Money fixes everything, right? LOL I do try to keep things in good condition for the most part.

Yes, I still use Safety Stop for all new fish purchases. I don't buy fish a lot, I'm more of a coral guy. I've used it with all the fish I've purchased since 2011. Tangs, clowns, the Copperband, wrasses, etc.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I can watch your stream this week live. Going to try but not sure if it will work out. I will at least watch it some time I love watching your videos. I have learnt a lot watching them I finally found the one on the Hanna checker. I was the one that message you about them about a week ago. Thank you for sharing and letting us into your home and knowledge. keep up the great work.
I did set up my account to start carrying those, but didn't add them to the site yet. Feel free to bug me about that one. :)

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if the glowing green stick on the left end of the tank is Jan's tort or Anacropora. Do you remember?
That would be a Lime In The Sky acropora. I thought originally it was a Green Slimer.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a Lime In The Sky acropora. I thought originally it was a Green Slimer.

Hi melev,

Do you QT your coral additions? What’s the worst pest you have dealt with? Who is your go to for corals?

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a QT at all times, before I upgraded to the 400g. Corals are always dipped, typically I use ReVive by Two Little Fishies since I never run out of that. ;) Worst pest would be Acrpora Eating Flatworms. But every pest I've dealt with ended up being an article for my website. :p

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back