1   0   0
Beautiful shots!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photos of an amazing reef! Thanks for sharing.

Quick question. I ran across your addition of the reverse check valve on your web site and I am considering doing this on my current build. Has that continued to operate smoothly for you? Is there anything you would have done differently with it? Thanks in advance...

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. I ran across your addition of the reverse check valve on your web site and I am considering doing this on my current build. Has that continued to operate smoothly for you? Is there anything you would have done differently with it? Thanks in advance...

Still working great, kicks in daily when I feed my reef.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working great, kicks in daily when I feed my reef.
Thanks for the reply. Someone on here had said they saw you post that the check valve wasn't working very well and was getting stuck. Fake news, apparently. ;)

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Someone on here had said they saw you post that the check valve wasn't working very well and was getting stuck. Fake news, apparently. ;)

I installed it on my tank in 2011. In one of my videos a couple of months ago, (over six years later in use) it was sticking and I had to remove it to clean it. It seems that if my tank sitter doesn't use it while I travel for a week, it does kind of seal itself to the body, but I continue to rely on it to work daily. Each time I feed my tank, I press a big yellow button on my stand which stops the return pump and skimmer, and that valve opens to suck in air and break the siphon. I love it. Did you watch the video yet? Here it is in action:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I love your crispa...

I had one almost as big but lost it in a move, ha dit for several years.. I think the foot got a small tear when I went to move it because I did not know it was connected too two rocks.
I was devastated and I can not find another replacement.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last post was in MARCH?! Oops. Well, here's a full tank shot update, first of all.

The reef is growing, things are touching other things which causes some chemical warfare. Water is tested weekly, and about 5 weeks ago I decided to start dosing vodka to lower my reef & anemone cube's nitrate level. As of now, I'm dosing 35 ml of vodka a day, but I'm sure it will be higher to hit the sweet spot so the NO3 drops.

I did a video about my reef a month ago, so I'll post a link to it in my next post.

fts-073118-1200px.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
That is a great idea on the check valve. Heck, I might incorporate that since I have a similar issue with my tank and Sea Swirls. Larger sump is one option but this is actually a cheaper solution and one that makes sense. Smart.

Thanks for sharing. Great tank also.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back