A few questions about a small frag tank

drew123451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I was wanting to set up a small frag tank and I had a few questions.

Question #1: Is a 10-15 gallon tank sufficient for a frag tank set up? I most likely won’t end up keeping anything in it other than corals. Maybe just a small clean up crew? I was planning to use sea chems hang on filter since I want to go semi budget with this build.

Question #2: I’ve been searching far and wide for a light that will grow various corals well. Since it is a frag tank it makes sense that it’d need a good lighting fixture. But like I mentioned in question #1, this is going to be budget or at least I’ll try my best ;). So this being said what’s the best light under $150? I mean it’d preferably be a small tank so I’d imagine I don’t need crazy and various lights. If you guys have any recommendations please lmk.

Question #3: What type of live stock could I potentially keep in a 10-15g? Like I said this tank will largely be for growing corals and so forth but it’d still be nice to have some movement from other little critters. I read on some forums you can keep a pistol/watchmen pair in a nano that size but Idk if that’s true. Maybe a pair of clowns? I’m honestly not sure so please lmk recommendations you guys would have. Or if it should strictly be for corals.

Thank you everyone!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I'm qualified to answer your questions but I'll try.

1. I don't see any reason you can't use a 10g tank as a frag tank. I'd personally go for something a little bigger like a 20g long which is still a cheap tank but would give more space.

2. You somewhat contradict yourself here. You are not going to find a good lighting fixture for that price. At that price you're either going to get a Blackbox (viparspectra, nicrew, etc) or a used fixture. Even the used fixture would be hard to get at $150. A used AI Prime could work but I don't have any experience with them. I've heard good things about noopsyche but again no personal experience. I'd get a 165w viparspectra and it would light a bigger tank (another reason I'd go with a 20 long). The viparspectra puts out a lot of light for that size tank so having enough par wouldn't be an issue. (PS I'm biased because I use Viparspectra on my tank and for the price I like them).

3. For livestock I would get a 6 line wrasse. They're attractive, active, and eat certain pests if they make it into the tank. They get too big for a 10, but would possibly be okay in a 20 (another reason I'd get the bigger tank).

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for a frag tank or just a nano tank?? For an actual frag tank, you can get a shallow acrylic tank to maximize your space for corals. Most comes with frag racks for 100-200 frags. For light, just grab something off Amazon for $60-80.

Here's my setup...light was $60, pump was $30, tank itself was $150.
PXL_20210625_003535404.MP.jpg

OP
OP
D

drew123451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I'm qualified to answer your questions but I'll try.

1. I don't see any reason you can't use a 10g tank as a frag tank. I'd personally go for something a little bigger like a 20g long which is still a cheap tank but would give more space.

2. You somewhat contradict yourself here. You are not going to find a good lighting fixture for that price. At that price you're either going to get a Blackbox (viparspectra, nicrew, etc) or a used fixture. Even the used fixture would be hard to get at $150. A used AI Prime could work but I don't have any experience with them. I've heard good things about noopsyche but again no personal experience. I'd get a 165w viparspectra and it would light a bigger tank (another reason I'd go with a 20 long). The viparspectra puts out a lot of light for that size tank so having enough par wouldn't be an issue. (PS I'm biased because I use Viparspectra on my tank and for the price I like them).

3. For livestock I would get a 6 line wrasse. They're attractive, active, and eat certain pests if they make it into the tank. They get too big for a 10, but would possibly be okay in a 20 (another reason I'd get the bigger tank).
Thank you for the response. Definitely some good points. My only restriction on not getting a 20 gallon is my current living situation. I already have a 20g red sea nano and it’s great but it will need to be moved into our new house in the next year or so which is the problem. I’m not sure how hard it is to move a tank? I’ve never done it before. If it’s not too difficult a 20g long would definitely be considered. I’ll see what I can do because a 20g would be nice since it can be a viewing tank but also a tank to grow and frag corals.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would definitely suggest getting a fish. If there are no predators at all, amphipods can multiply to a level where they'll bother your corals, and will definitely swarm a stressed coral. A 6-line would be good, since it'll eat flatworms. For a smaller tank, you could try a black-banded goby or any other tiny, perching goby with a big mouth, and you may not even have to feed it if there are enough pods.

OP
OP
D

drew123451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for a frag tank or just a nano tank?? For an actual frag tank, you can get a shallow acrylic tank to maximize your space for corals. Most comes with frag racks for 100-200 frags. For light, just grab something off Amazon for $60-80.

Here's my setup...light was $60, pump was $30, tank itself was $150.
PXL_20210625_003535404.MP.jpg
I guess Im looking less specifically for a frag tank but more so a tank to grow a good amount of corals in. So maybe just a nano (which I already have), but for its main purpose to be growing corals. I’d love to be growing a good amount of corals but also maybe have a fish or two. Thank you for the reply!

OP
OP
D

drew123451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely suggest getting a fish. If there are no predators at all, amphipods can multiply to a level where they'll bother your corals, and will definitely swarm a stressed coral. A 6-line would be good, since it'll eat flatworms. For a smaller tank, you could try a black-banded goby or any other tiny, perching goby with a big mouth, and you may not even have to feed it if there are enough pods.
Yeah for sure. Good points. Maybe I’ll just set up another nano that’s dominantly for growing corals but also has a fish or two. Thanks for the response!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should look at those frag racks that magnetically attach to the wall. There's a few designs out there, including one brand (NanoRox, maybe?) that makes rock-shaped magnetic shelves.

Is the point of the tank to grow corals that stay in that tank, or to grow corals for other tanks? A frag tank is usually a tank into which coral frags, from your main tank, your LFS, or both, are placed temporarily to grow out. Once they get bigger, they're generally put into another tank, sold, or made into more frags to be transplanted and/or sold. If you want a tank that has good coral growth and the corals stay in the tank, that's pretty much just an aquarium, not a frag tank.

OP
OP
D

drew123451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look at those frag racks that magnetically attach to the wall. There's a few designs out there, including one brand (NanoRox, maybe?) that makes rock-shaped magnetic shelves.

Is the point of the tank to grow corals that stay in that tank, or to grow corals for other tanks? A frag tank is usually a tank into which coral frags, from your main tank, your LFS, or both, are placed temporarily to grow out. Once they get bigger, they're generally put into another tank, sold, or made into more frags to be transplanted and/or sold. If you want a tank that has good coral growth and the corals stay in the tank, that's pretty much just an aquarium, not a frag tank.
Yeah I guess you are right haha. Not technically a frag tank. Just a tank that is dominate in growing corals which I’ll frag and put into a frag rack in either the same tank or my main red sea tank. Doesn’t really make any sense but idk. I think I’m just looking for an excuse to get another tank XD

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back