A few quick questions!

lexi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am considering starting my first saltwater tank! I’m thinking a 14g. I have a freshwater 10g that’s been doing great for about a year now. I was wondering if I should get entirely different water change equipment and nets for the reef tank, or could I use the same bucket, fish nets, and siphon for both tanks? Can’t find anything helpful online :/ also any recommendations for beginner corals? I’ve read soft corals are easier and I only really know aquatic freshwater plants lol. Any other little tips you wish someone had told you when you first started would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you :)

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am considering starting my first saltwater tank! I’m thinking a 14g. I have a freshwater 10g that’s been doing great for about a year now. I was wondering if I should get entirely different water change equipment and nets for the reef tank, or could I use the same bucket, fish nets, and siphon for both tanks? Can’t find anything helpful online :/ also any recommendations for beginner corals? I’ve read soft corals are easier and I only really know aquatic freshwater plants lol. Any other little tips you wish someone had told you when you first started would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you :)
if u can get new equipment you should. you just would want to make sure everything is deeply cleaned between uses and switches or else you will get risky. as far as corals, any leather is good as a first coral i’d go with fingered leathers if you feel worried. tip i wish someone had told me would be get a larger tank and expect downfalls!

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree ^, Saltwater tanks are considerably different than fresh, you almost need to treat them like a sterile environment. Any contamination will come back to haunt you. Don't go cheap, it's better to buy good, new equipment slowly and not rush into it. Take your time and do the research, nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank. Good luck!

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read alot here, do your homework now before you go backwards. There's so much in this hobby to know to be successful. Knowledge is power

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dark side.jpg

Welcome to R2R!
I have FW and a reef tank. I try to keep all of my tools separate for each. As has been mentioned before, it's just safer that way.
Here is a couple of really good threads to get you started on your salty journey,
Hope they help. Glad to have you with us!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back