A good macro algae fertilizer.

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for a fertilizer for Macro algae that won't throw my tank out of balance. Does anyone know if any macro algae fertilizer?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for a fertilizer for Macro algae that won't throw my tank out of balance. Does anyone know if any macro algae fertilizer?
Is there no nitrate or phosphate in the aquarium water?

What do you mean by “out of balance”?

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding more than just healthy fertilizer. Like calcium, magnesium and so on. There is a little nitrate and phosphate.

This is for a separate culture of macro algae. I was going to culture a rare kind and try to sell it. Would the waste water from a turtle tank work? I have red eared sliders

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at TNC complete aquarium Plant food. It got low P for a complete plant food
I actually use this also to grow phytoplankton

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding more than just healthy fertilizer. Like calcium, magnesium and so on. There is a little nitrate and phosphate.

This is for a separate culture of macro algae. I was going to culture a rare kind and try to sell it. Would the waste water from a turtle tank work? I have red eared sliders

What algae are you going to sell? I'm setting up a macro tank this summer, so I'm always on the lookout for new suppliers.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much I will try that for phytoplankton as well
If you culturing phytoplankton you will like it even more, most mainstream fertilisers will have a 1:1 ratio P and N this one got a ratio of 1:8 P to N most similar to what a algae would absorb ratio. Leaving the added final product to the tank with less phosphate this is important if you dosing in large amounts

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mermaid Fan
Christmas Tree (pine cone algae)
Short Codium
Caulerpa Mexicana
Dragons breath
Ulva Sea Lettuce
Blue Hypnea
Red and Green Gracilaria
Chondria Coerulescens Blue Algae

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What algae are you going to sell? I'm setting up a macro tank this summer, so I'm always on the lookout for new suppliers.
Those are just some to start. I will be adding others as I find them

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also be selling my live reef food blend. It contains 6 types phytoplankton, 6 types rotifers, baby brine freshly hatched and some trace vitamins.

It can be broadcast fed or directly fed to the coral. It would also be great for any filter feeders like porcelain crabs.

grzy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with neonitro, ferrion, and cheatogrow, they will suck nitrates as they grow.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you culturing phytoplankton you will like it even more, most mainstream fertilisers will have a 1:1 ratio P and N this one got a ratio of 1:8 P to N most similar to what a algae would absorb ratio. Leaving the added final product to the tank with less phosphate this is important if you dosing in large amounts
The Redfield Ratio for phytoplankton is 16:1

Most macro algae will have a N:p ratio of 30:1.

As a commercial grower of Red Ogo, Gracilaria Parvispora, dry analysis was:

N @ 2.59%
P @ 0.082%
K @ 13.54%
C @ 0.555%
Mg @ 1.163%
S @ 4.81
Z @ 139ppm
Fe @ 107ppm
Mn @ 20ppm
Cu @ 7.0ppm

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Redfield Ratio for phytoplankton is 16:1

Most macro algae will have a N:p ratio of 30:1.

As a commercial grower of Red Ogo, Gracilaria Parvispora, dry analysis was:

N @ 2.59%
P @ 0.082%
K @ 13.54%
C @ 0.555%
Mg @ 1.163%
S @ 4.81
Z @ 139ppm
Fe @ 107ppm
Mn @ 20ppm
Cu @ 7.0ppm
Phytoplankton has the same ratio as the sea water we’re is collected from, in home cultures I suspect phytoplankton will absorb N and P in different rates as there is a lot of P in the fertiliser. I just suggest this product as from most of the fertilisers I know off are really high in P

171B3929-6C89-4924-8D69-D58A0C77EB33.jpeg

That’s the chemical analysis of the product. I just saved the information on the red ogo as it’s always good to know.

edit: in addition if used in the tank, you would have more N and P available from feeding the tank bringing the ratio of N to P up

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ratio of N:p is 16:1 in phytoplankton. Phytoplankton dry analysis does not vary with ratio in the water. growth is not controlled by maximum nutrients, but it is limited by the least nutrient.

[The Redfield Ratio is the recurring ratio of 106:16:1 of carbon to nitrogen to phosphorus (C:N:p) found in marine phytoplankton.Sep 9, 2019]

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phytoplankton has the same ratio as the sea water we’re is collected from, in home cultures I suspect phytoplankton will absorb N and P in different rates as there is a lot of P in the fertiliser. I just suggest this product as from most of the fertilisers I know off are really high in P

171B3929-6C89-4924-8D69-D58A0C77EB33.jpeg

That’s the chemical analysis of the product. I just saved the information on the red ogo as it’s always good to know.

edit: in addition if used in the tank, you would have more N and P available from feeding the tank bringing the ratio of N to P up

As I see the ingredients in this fertilizer, in time, your phosphate concentration will accumulate because the uptake of nitrogen in 16:1 ratio of phytoplankton will consume more nitrogen and less phosphorus than the 7:1 ratio in fertilizer.

In my ornamental seaweed lagoons, I use Austin clear ammonia and ChaetoGro. I think phosphorus comes in with the air.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 55

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mermaid Fan
Christmas Tree (pine cone algae)
Short Codium
Caulerpa Mexicana
Dragons breath
Ulva Sea Lettuce
Blue Hypnea
Red and Green Gracilaria
Chondria Coerulescens Blue Algae
Will you be growing macro in a "sterile" macro only tank?

If so, the best bet for growing it will be cheatogro and ammonia (I use Austins brand).

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I see the ingredients in this fertilizer, in time, your phosphate concentration will accumulate because the uptake of nitrogen in 16:1 ratio of phytoplankton will consume more nitrogen and less phosphorus than the 7:1 ratio in fertilizer.

In my ornamental seaweed lagoons, I use Austin clear ammonia and ChaetoGro. I think phosphorus comes in with the air.
I agree. No need for PO4 in macro only. I always have some show up from something in a macro only tank. Only my mangrove/macro lagoon that is tied into my nem thank/frag tank setup is PO4 limited. I do have to dose it in there, but just enough to keep it detectable on the hannah ULR tester. If I do not dose it, then dinos always seem to rear their ugly head.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If we talking about growing phytoplankton, it’s still better than the common fertiliser we’re it’s 1:1 or 2:1 N : P it’s not ideal just Better for something ready made imo.
For in tank use, it depends on the nutrients available in the tank, if you have low P than shouldn’t be an issue. Some macro algae growers like to run the tanks at a higher phosphate over what someone would run a reef.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back