A Good Way To Get Coralline Algae Growing

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make room for placing a few corals on the substrate I moved the seed rocks to the top. The rocks were given to me from an established tank with a lot of purple coralline algae on them. The rocks seeded my tank with copepods and other hatchings, but not purple coralline algae. The first life into my tank were a few snails that have green coralline algae on their shells. The green coralline algae from the snail shells covered my base white rock in a few months. The rocks that I used to seed the tank were placed at first on the substrate where the flow is not that strong. Once placing them at the top where the flow is strong the purple coralline algae took off. In fact the power head in pointed right at these rocks. The purple coralline algae is growing fast on the glass and power heads. However not that much onto or over the established green coralline algae. Something to learn for my next tank. Thanks to you all

What do you use to remove this calcium algae from the front glass?

Why does it take so long for spell check to work?

growth.PNG

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time I started a tank I would scrape flakes of coralline algae off of rocks and shells and let it float around .
it always takes off and covers the sides , back glass and every black plastic pump and frag rack first

to remove it from the glass .. ravor blade is the only thing I have ever used .

on frag racks . I let it grow until the racks are empty and remove them and soak in vinegar .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back