A grain of sand moved unexpectedly, what should I do?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you take a pic under blue? looks a bit washed out but I think I see "Old Gregg"

old gregg hello GIF

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you don't know can certainly hurt you in this hobby, I don't mind the mundane questions, that was every one of us at one point or another.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don’t buy bottle bacteria.

Based on hundreds of threads I can confirm that you are cycled based on the calendar and the orbit of the moon. There is no way that sand would have moved if you weren’t cycled.

You need to be more worried about disease preps. You are irresponsible if you keep adding sand that hasn’t been properly QT’d. 110% of newbie reefers will have a grain of sand die on them in the first few months, because of their gung-ho attitude towards adding sand.

In fact, I’m not sure you should be keeping a reef tank if you aren’t prepared to buy pre-QT’d sand or buy a separate Olympic swimming pool size QT to ensure your sand is disease-free before even contemplating adding it to the display.

I think your attitude is what is wrong with reef-keeping today and, if this lack of education continues to propagate, it’s likely to lead to the end of the world.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catfish Beer Fish GIF
Does anyone else think the sand may have moved due to the butterfly effect? You know, where a reef keeper in Tokyo buys a butterfly fish, and when they release the fish a little water accidently spills onto the floor and the resultant tsunami wave pushes the sand in an aquarium on the other side of the world?

Last edited:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catfish Beer Fish GIF
Does anyone else thing the sand may have moved due to the butterfly effect? You know, where a reef keeper in Tokyo buys a butterfly fish, and when they release the fish a little water accidently spills onto the floor and the resultant tsunami wave pushes the sand in an aquarium on the other side of the world?
mind blown.jpg

Brilliant!! This theory, or variations of it could explain a plethora of tank issues! Everything from "My clown looks sad" to "Can I dose milk to increase calcium?" Could change the future of reefing as we know it!!!!!

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried milk dosing and had mixed results. My clams were lactose intolerant. When a tridacna cuts the cheese everything in the tank just kinds of curdles up.

clam GIF
Try dosing yogurt.
I heard that lactose intolerant folks can eat yogurt because the enzymes that turn the milk into yogurt also get rid of the lactose.
If that doesn't work, I hear that Tridacnas are good with ketchup.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back